Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can a hard reset help these problems?

  1. #1
    Ratchet
    Member #
    8093
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    154
    Liked
    4 times

    Can a factory reset help these problems?

    Since my update to ICS my TF101 has been a little quirky. It hangs for a couple of seconds occasionally, it reboots occasionally, and it's just generally not quite right. Could a hard reset fix this up?

    I understand this resets it to factory, which means I need to set everything up again manually, right? I guess my apps will come back in automatically, but did I see somewhere that free apps don't come back, you have to keep track of them and download them again? I'll obviously have to set up all my email accounts again, but the google sync will bring all my calendar entries and such back.

    Is there anything I should do to prepare? Backups of anything? Writing anything down? I don't keep much on there, I use it for reading rss, web, and playing games. To be honest it wouldn't even be a huge deal if I lost it and hard to start again from scratch.

    Edit - I got the terminology wrong
    Last edited by tim; 03-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #2
    TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    2978
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    /EARTH/USA/NC/
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    15,780
    Liked
    2676 times
    Tim,

    Any email, calendars, etc. sync'd to Google will come back automatically.

    Your apps will come back (even free ones) if you keep the box ticked to restore from your google account. However, if you are having issues, it is better to restore apps a few at a time. I recommend unchecking this box during the setup.

    To prepare, back up your apps using the "App Backup" app. I recommend doing APP & DATA in batches up to 600 MB. That way you can install them one or two at a time to test the compatibility and not have to download the app from the market, then restore the data.

    App Backup does not grab music, movies, books, documents, downloads, pictures or any other types of files. Only files and settings to make the app run. You will need to back up the other important files separately.

    Back them up to a microSD, USB, PC or cloud.
    tim likes this.


    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

    Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

  3. #3
    Ratchet
    Member #
    7418
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SouthEast England
    Posts
    103
    Liked
    14 times
    I know its over kill but i always wipe tablet after installing a new major firmware update. This has so far worked for me as i have yet to be stuck with any of the problems many others have had.

    Jason.


    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    tim likes this.
    Posted by Jason a proud Asus Transformer and HTC Desire owner and user.

  4. #4
    Ratchet
    Member #
    8093
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    154
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for all the info Frederuco :-)

    Some followup questions, if you would be so kind:
    - Can you please link to the App Backup app for me, so I get the right one?
    - Can I try the sync first? I'm lazy Downloads aren't a problem.
    - Kindle will grab my books back, right?

    I have very little data on it, files and stuff, and it'd be easy to move them all to the SD card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Tim,

    Any email, calendars, etc. sync'd to Google will come back automatically.

    Your apps will come back (even free ones) if you keep the box ticked to restore from your google account. However, if you are having issues, it is better to restore apps a few at a time. I recommend unchecking this box during the setup.

    To prepare, back up your apps using the "App Backup" app. I recommend doing APP & DATA in batches up to 600 MB. That way you can install them one or two at a time to test the compatibility and not have to download the app from the market, then restore the data.

    App Backup does not grab music, movies, books, documents, downloads, pictures or any other types of files. Only files and settings to make the app run. You will need to back up the other important files separately.

    Back them up to a microSD, USB, PC or cloud.

  5. #5
    Jazz
    Member #
    29481
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Binghamton,NY
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    82
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jisonga View Post
    I know its over kill but i always wipe tablet after installing a new major firmware update. This has so far worked for me as i have yet to be stuck with any of the problems many others have had.

    Jason.


    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this

  6. #6
    Jazz
    Member #
    29481
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Binghamton,NY
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    82
    Liked
    13 times
    Asus includes an app backup apk

  7. #7
    TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    2978
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    /EARTH/USA/NC/
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    15,780
    Liked
    2676 times
    Tim,

    Look in your app drawer. If you are running anything newer than 8.6.5.18 you will have an app called "App Backup" from ASUS.

    For Kindle, when you open it add your Kindle account info and then sync your books again. Progress and such will be restored.


    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

    Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

  8. #8
    Ratchet
    Member #
    8093
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    154
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks Frederuco, everyone, I'll give this a go when I get a bit of spare time :-)

  9. #9
    Starscream
    Member #
    25325
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    east islip. new york
    Tablet
    TF300
    Posts
    440
    Liked
    15 times
    so some of the apps on the market place dont play nice with ICS?? why dont google test these apps before they place them on the market place and give transformer owners a headach lol

  10. #10
    Ratchet
    Member #
    8093
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    154
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
    so some of the apps on the market place dont play nice with ICS?? why dont google test these apps before they place them on the market place and give transformer owners a headach lol
    I'm not sure it's that, it could just be the tablet's in an inconsistent state because of all the upgrades. No harm to reinstall everything, like you do with Windows

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. TF101 stuck in boot loop, tried cold reset, hard reset, factory reset, to no avail
    By foregoneconclusion in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM
  2. Hard reset
    By ching in forum Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM
  3. Factory Reset, Hard Reset...and so on...
    By Fly_and_Momy in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) General Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
  4. factory reset/hard reset
    By buckeye1 in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 11:49 PM
  5. Hard reset.... what it does?
    By u2vini in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Search tags for this page

asus tf101 hard reset

,
asus transformer forum tf300 cold boot
,
asus transformer hard reboot
,

asus transformer hard reset

,

asus transformer reset

,

does a factory reset help

,

does factory reset help

,
hard reset for asus transformer tf101
,
hard reset of asus transformer help
,

hard reset on asus transformer

,
hard reset whole hog 2
,

reset asus

,
what do hard resets fix
,
will factory reset help
,
will factory reset help a problem
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.