Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times

Linking to camera for BAR-CODE scans not working after ICS update

One of my favorite apps is Out of Milk that we use to create our shopping list for groceries. One of the things that is really upsetting is the fact that the bar code scanner does not work after I updated to ICS. It along with 2 other apps that use the camera for bar code scanning reports an error as follows. "Sorry, the Android camera encountered a problem. You may need to restart the device". After restarting the device, the same message appears in any app that links to the camera. The camera functions normally without a problem. RedLaser Bar-code & QR Scanner reports the same error message also. I have attempted to contact the publishers with no success to see if this is a common problem after others have done an update of their system (android system) Has anyone come across this same or similar problem after updating? Linking to the camera for the purpose of scanning an area of the photo could be software related but if that is true, the exact same error occurs in 3 different apps.
    Would appreciate any suggestions:
    I have tried uninstalling the apps and re-installing them with no success. Everything else works flawlessly with ICS so far. Nice update ASUS
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer W/ICS
    32 GB SD, 4 port USB-hub, Wireless Mouse, USB Keyboard, 320 GB/HDD USB
    Velocity Micro Cruz 16 GB SD, Rooted
    6 Computers, 5 Unique operating systems, NAS Box, Media Server

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

Yup - ICS incompatability with non-updated apps is going to be with us for a little while yet - and on any ICS phone or tablet

Nothing for it but to try out other apps, I'm afraid.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    RE: OUT OF MILK - I emailed the developer about the scanner function not working in ICS about an hour ago. They just answered stating a Major Update and new bar code scanner on the way in about a week.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the same problem except with myfitnesspal.com. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    Since my original post there has been another update by Asus. I also have had multiple updates from Out of Milk and RedLaser and the camera problem still prevails. I have done a few cold boots with some good results clearing up problems with CNN and a couple of others. I have some software (Apps) that link to the camera that work great. When requested, they bring up the camera with no problem. I have contacted Out of Milk programmer several times and he has stated that the problem appears to be with my stock Asus Transformer and not his App. In the original post I stated that a message appeared stating reboot you system but now I simply get a message in the clock area saying the software has crashed, would you please send a report to the programmer. Huuuuummmm what is goint on, that sounds like a program error or crash, not sysem problem. How are others getting along with the new droid update to ICS? Most of the Apps on my system have been updated in the last couple of weeks and perform really well, especially since a couple of cold boots. Im open to suggestions if anyone has one to offer. I really have given a factory reset a few thoughts but really prefure not doing that even though I have a good backup of everything right now. ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE ????? bummer I like Out of Milk but it simply will not scan. RedLaser will not scan either........

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times

Update to last message / read & heed this one for sure

Over time I have became attached to Out of Milk and use it a great deal of the time for shopping lists. It was very important that the scanner link worked allowing me to scan in items we need at the store. I finally made a decision to do a complete system reset in hopes that the link to the scanner would work after the reset. Guess what the camera now links to Out of Milk and the barcode scanner works just fine. It has been a 1 hour process and all apps are re-installed and working and updated. Yes, there were a lot of apps but it does not take all that long. Amazon.com reinstalled half of the for me and Google Play done the remainder. If you are having problems with ICS not working properly, do a cold reboot and if that does not work, reset your system. I only had one camera scanner software that did not work and that was RedLaser. It continues to tell me to reboot, the system camera is at fault. Not really, update it guys and it will work fine. Now there are lots of differences with the system that I did not have access to before. System reset, it was easy and effective ----- would highly suggest it to everyone. Asus backup makes it easy as well if you wish to use it. Good luck everyone

UPDATE: It has been 9 hours since I finished the update or I should say system reset. I removed the charger with the battery at 100% charge. Before the reset ICS installed over the old system dropped my hours on battery from 8 - 9 hours to 6 hours only. I have not been to happy with that decrease. However after system reset, I am now at 9 hours and have 29% battery remaining. Looks like the system reset was well worth the effort.
    Last edited by transformer1110; 04-18-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transformer1110 View Post
    One of my favorite apps is Out of Milk that we use to create our shopping list for groceries. One of the things that is really upsetting is the fact that the bar code scanner does not work after I updated to ICS. It along with 2 other apps that use the camera for bar code scanning reports an error as follows. "Sorry, the Android camera encountered a problem. You may need to restart the device". After restarting the device, the same message appears in any app that links to the camera. The camera functions normally without a problem. RedLaser Bar-code & QR Scanner reports the same error message also. I have attempted to contact the publishers with no success to see if this is a common problem after others have done an update of their system (android system) Has anyone come across this same or similar problem after updating? Linking to the camera for the purpose of scanning an area of the photo could be software related but if that is true, the exact same error occurs in 3 different apps.
    Would appreciate any suggestions:
    I have tried uninstalling the apps and re-installing them with no success. Everything else works flawlessly with ICS so far. Nice update ASUS
    I have the same problem when using the PocketBlu app, which is required to use Digital Copies of Blurays on Android. You download the movie onto your Android device by scanning the barcode on the inside slip of the Bluray, while the disc itself is in your PS3 or internet enabled Bluray player. Every time I scan the barcode, I get the exact error you're talking about above.

I reported it to the developers a month ago, and so far they have still not released an update. If the download expiry date for those movies I've already purchased passes while I'm waiting, I'll be rather annoyed....particularly since we have to pay extra for those discs.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links