Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, thanks.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I have an Asus WL-330GE. It's an amazing little bit of kit. It can act as an ADSL router, wireless hotspot, wireless extender and ethernet adapter. Simply plug it into a spare port on your network and you have a hotspot. Best bit it you can power it off a USB port and it comes with all cables - pretty rare these days. It's also pretty tiny.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Networks- ASUS WL-330gE
    EthicsBob likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Amazon.com: portable router

List of several access point routers, including the one above. Good investment if you travel. I pack a home sized one! But the Asus and the the little cnet one look good. Some do n speeds these days.
    EthicsBob likes this.
    Excuse my typos. I'm typing with my thumbs. Aren't you?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you will bring a laptop also, just connectify software. I turns your laptop into a router....it is a very nice software.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The original poster is talking about and HDMI 1.4 that uess internet and HDMI in 1.. the Tranformer doesnt have the 1.4 pin connectors for the HDMI.. Few new electronics started supporting this (mostly high end). Wireless is the way to go. The unit doesn't support that type of HDMI out.
    EthicsBob likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    G will be faster than the internet access. The only real advantage to having a wireless N network is transfer from computer to tablet through WiFi and the range is much better. If range and going through a lot of walls isn't an issue that router will serve you well enough. Good luck!
    Droid life started with a Droid(Froyo) - rooted , Then came the Incredible(Gingerbread) - rooted , but now the Transformer(Honeycomb) - rooted .
    (We don't like to talk about the Archos 70 in our house)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, it's all good. I emailed the apartment manager in Rio, offering to split the cost of a router if he'd install it. He checked and the apartment HAS WI-FI after all. SO I'm golden. But I'll look into mitchelln's and Pinkeee's suggestions. Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango-3-6 View Post
    HDMI is solely for high-def audio/video. It is not a network port, hence, useless for what you're looking for.

Bottom line, the TF can only connect wirelessly to a network via wifi - which is why you'll need to set up a wireless router that can allow your TF to access the Internet.
    actually that comment is not correct. HDMI 1.4 handles more than just audio/video. It also handles commands, control, and other functions. That is how the Logitech Revue is able to control your tv/cable box. It does it via commands passed through the HDMI cables.

HDMI 1.4 also handles HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel) which can handle a 10/100 Mbps network stream between devices. Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia page concerning HDMI 1.4

Version 1.4
    HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009. HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K 2K (38402160p at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz and 40962160p at 24 Hz, which is a resolution used with digital theaters); an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC), which allows for a 100 Mb/s Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices; and introduces an Audio Return Channel (ARC), 3D Over HDMI, a new Micro HDMI Connector, expanded support for color spaces, with the addition of sYCC601, Adobe RGB and Adobe YCC601; and an Automotive Connection System. HDMI 1.4 supports several stereoscopic 3D formats including field alternative (interlaced), frame packing (a full resolution top-bottom format), line alternative full, side-by-side half, side-by-side full, 2D + depth, and 2D + depth + graphics + graphics depth (WOWvx), with additional top/bottom formats added in version 1.4a . HDMI 1.4 requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24. High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel.
    HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 and adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content, which was deferred with HDMI 1.4 in order to see the direction of the 3D broadcast market. HDMI 1.4a has defined mandatory 3D formats for broadcast, game, and movie content. HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24, side-by-side horizontal at either 1080i50 or 1080i60, and top-and-bottom at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    The Aluratek CDM530AM 3G Portable Wireless USB Cellular Router works great . Now I just need to figure out how to get it to work off my BB 9700.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Away from home I either use my cellular phone as a wifi hotspot or I use a travel router. I have a D-Link wireless N travel router that I quite like, but the TrendNet wireless N travel router is probably just as good, comes with a 3-yr warranty, and is almost 1/2 the price. Nobody local to me carried it, though...
    Last edited by BenS; 06-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links