Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

TF onboard flash question; included USB adapter question.

Hello - please excuse the noob question. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything that addressed my question specifically.

1) Is there a difference in performance between the onboard memory (16 or 32 GB) or memory you put in the micro-SD slot? They're both "flash" memory right? Granted, some micro-SD cards are faster than others, so I wonder what class of flash Asus uses in the onboard memory?

2) I'm still a little confused about the box contents of the Asus TF and how to use it (I don't have one yet, hence the confusion). It seems like you get a USB cable and a wall adapter? The USB cable can be used to connect the TF to your computer for quickly transfering data. The USB cable can also be connected to the wall power adapter for charging? Is that right? But the wall adapter seems to provide more than the typical 5+ charge voltage that other generic USB power adapters provide, because the Asus wall power adapter can charge the TF in about an hour. Is any of that correct?

3) I've heard of people connecting their Transformer to an external hard drive. Are they using the USB ports provided by the keyboard dock? Or is there a USB adapter out already that allows the TF to act as a USB host?

Thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    2) - If you plug into a computer with the usb port, it will only charge if you turn it off(not enough power to run it and charge it). If you plug into the wall adapter, it can charge(a bit slower) and be used at the same time.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinMartin View Post
    2) - If you plug into a computer with the usb port, it will only charge if you turn it off(not enough power to run it and charge it). If you plug into the wall adapter, it can charge(a bit slower) and be used at the same time.
    Thanks. So, it seems it's a matter of current - that the Asus power adapter provides the same charge voltage, but has a higher current limit than the typical 5V USB plug on your computer...? Anyone want to chime in?

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coachclass View Post
    Thanks. So, it seems it's a matter of current - that the Asus power adapter provides the same charge voltage, but has a higher current limit than the typical 5V USB plug on your computer...? Anyone want to chime in?
    The charger has an output value of 5-15V, which is roughly equivalent to USB 3.0 (since people have gotten success using that standard for a longer cable for charging purposes). The cable in the box is probably 2.5 feet long or so, it barely reaches a tabletop if plugged in at the ground.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    3) I have the same question about turning the TF to act as a USB host. I am thinking of buying a "Mobidapter' to change the MicroSD slot into a USB port. Any other suggestions?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    1) The difference is only noticeable if you have a very fast or very slow SD card. It'll usually seem about the same when you're using it. I use class 4 and 6 SD/MicroSD cards in my TF and it all seems the same as the internal flash when I'm using it.

2) You can charge from USB when it's off, but it still charges very slowly (won't fully charge overnight, IIRC). You're best off using the wall charger, and can use a USB 3.0 extension cable if you need a longer cord - USB 2.0 extension cables won't work because they don't have the extra pins that the charger uses that USB 3.0 has.

3) They're talking about using the USB ports on the keyboard dock. I don't know of any adapter like what you described, but I've also never looked for one before.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    3) There is an adapter that will convert the power port to a USB port, so that the keyboard will not be needed, but this item has not been released yet and I have not seen any information on a date.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    @tstwc: As a general point, the Mobiadapter (in the UK at least) is around 43GBP, whereas the price differential between the Transformer and Transformer+Keyboard Dock is 50GBP - which gives you a keyboard, 2 USB ports, an SD card slot and the extra battery power.

Unless you really need the mobility of the Mobiadapter, I'd have thought it would be a no-brainer to go for the keyboard dock.

Ads