Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New tf101 owner! A couple of questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New tf101 owner! A couple of questions

Hi there. I got my TF101 yesterday, and I'm very excited to play with it! I had an issue with a ZAGG Invisible Shield (I tried to install it myself and got a couple of really obvious bubbles/dust motes under the shield), and I was planning to take it to the Geek Squad to get them to reapply it professionally, so I can blame them when it happens again.

So I wanted to ask you guys a couple of quick questions:

1) How required is an Invisible Shield-type thing? Is there any reason I couldn't go without one?

2) The sales guy mentioned setup and offered professional setup as part of the shield installation package. What's involved in setting up a TF101? Is that something that I (a reasonably techy guy; I can install a new video card, etc.) can do without messing things up or taking forever?

Thanks much for your help!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi & welcome to the forum.

You do NOT need to pay for any form of "technical setup" - download the user manual from the Asus website, read through the links in my signature below & you will get all the setup guidance you could ever need

Reading on this forum & posting if you can't find an already asked & answered question should cover anything else

As far as as a sceen protector goes, that is down to your personal choice, but I use my tf101 for maybe 4-6 hours a day. I have never had a screen protector. In my buying research, one of the big plusses of the tf101 was the Gorilla Glass - with that I do not feel the need for any form of screen protector - just appropriate handling of the device does fine

Hope this helps
    Sashah and bfmetcalf like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    I've had mine since around August '11 and never bought a screen protector, for its first few months it was in a book type case, now it is exactly as my laptop, docked, left open or closed depending, and not a scratch on it.

As above, careful handling = shiny tablet
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    140 times
    +1 for not using a screen protector

Not that I would recommend it, but I have carried my HTC Evo phone in my front pocket with keys and change for 1 1/2 years with no noticeable scratches and no screen protector

I keep my TF101 in a case and use it appx 4-6 hrs a day, and except for finger prints it is like the day I got it 3 months ago. So my guess is, if you don't abuse it, like my phone, you should have no problems
    Last edited by kgragert; 02-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    No screen protector for me, either. It gets fingerprinty, but no scratches. I do swab the tablet with a glasses wipe every morning, after I do my eyeglasses. Computer screen gets the last of the wipe.
    Transformer 101 with dock

"I am not young enough to know everything." -- Sir James Matthew Barrie

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I had the same shield installed by the Geek Squad a couple days after purchasing my TF101, so I didn't go through the hassles of doing it myself. But it cost me a lot more. Since then them I've questioned using the shield since so many like goodintentions are so adamant it is not needed. Then recently some posts have appeared on these forums claiming gorilla glass isn't all that scratch proof. I honestly don't know who to believe.

I've had the same shield now since November. I also have the same shield brand on my first generation iPad, because my my iPhone took a scratch almost immediately. The one on my TF101 held up nicely. But I do have a nagging concern it could be interfering with my styluses. I've found any given stylus works much better on my iPad, where as my finger works almost as well. The Caseen Vibe, for example, works quite well on my iPad, but skips like crazy on my TF101. I've been tempted to remove my shield and see if my styluses work better. But I'm very clumsy and fear I'll start scratching the screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have had my tablet since Sept. without a screen protector and no issues. I use a Elago stylus and am happy with the way it works.
    Asus Transformer 101 16GB With Keyboard Dock
    Nexus 7 8GB

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    They try to con me into paying them $70+ for "professional setup" all the time. Little do they know it's the pros that come for me for help at times.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    I have a screen protector on mine, installed it myself using the wet technique (I think ZAGG products do that technique as I believe mine was a ZAGG) you would be surprised how well the bubbles disappear with normal use in a day or 2. I had a couple and they disappeared quite well. I can see a hair and a couple specs of dust when it is off, but when using it I can't see any flaws, so you may want to use it a day or two and see how it looks. As for setup, all they will do is add some apps that will make you want their stuff and is not necessary. There isn't much to setting these things up, I would do it myself and save the money.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree with those above. It's not necessary to have a screen protector. I've had mine since May 2011 and not a scratch on it. If you're really interested in a durability test though, you can check out this video posted a while back about the glass on the TF-101. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUcJnwyCtes

Asus Transformer Prime TF201 32GB w/ Keyboard Dock ICS 4.0 and Adonit Jot Stylus
    Asus Transformer TF-101 w/ Keyboard Dock 16 GB Stock ICS 4.0.3 (sold)
    Droid Incredible 2 -MIUI Rom

Desktop:
    3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K
    Ati Radeon HD 6850 GPU 1 GB
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
    8 GB XMS Corsair RAM
    Dual Boot: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 / Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links