Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wireless Portable Routers & USB 3G Modems

  1. #1
    Jazz
    Member #
    14323
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times

    Wireless Portable Routers & USB 3G Modems

    I have purchased a Cradlepoint portable wireless router which is compatible with a Virgin Broadband2Go USB modem.

    I have used that modem for 3G service on my laptop but I have yet to use it with my Transformer.

    I am interested in getting comments from Transformer users who use a portable wireless router.

    Specifically, were you able to activate your service by only using your Transformer and the wireless router or, were you required to initially set up the connection using the USB port on a pc or a laptop before transferring that device to the wireless router.

    I live in Canada and am trying to determine whether I need to also take my laptop with me to reactivate my Broadband2Go service when I next visit the USA.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Member #
    2531
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8,595
    Liked
    976 times
    Why shouldn't you be able to activate your service using the TF. I happen to use an Asus 330G portable router when traveling. I use to extend wifi coverage and as a 3G modem as it excepts a 3G dongle. I change the setting from my TF when necessary.
    You should be able to do the same unless I misunderstood your question.

  3. #3
    Starscream
    Member #
    12558
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CA
    Tablet
    TF201
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I happen to use an Asus 330G portable router when traveling. I use to extend wifi coverage and as a 3G modem as it excepts a 3G dongle. I change the setting from my TF when necessary.
    Jeffrey, can this Asus 330G portable router be used to help in a weak wireless AP situation? My TFP is fine an home, but get me a little distance from the wireless AP at a hotel, and it does have issues. This could be good for me.
    Last edited by tedr108; 02-10-2012 at 05:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Member #
    2531
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8,595
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tedr108 View Post
    Jeffrey, can this Asus 330G portable router be used to help in a weak wireless AP situation? My TFP is fine an home, but get me a little distance from the wireless AP at a hotel, and it does have issues. This could be good for me.
    It sure can. It will extend any wireless network. I bought it on sale $40.

    The ASUS WL-330N3G is the world’s smallest wireless router, featuring six integrated modes within its compact size. With 802.11n, 150Mbits per second and the six different modes (Network adapter, access point, wireless router, repeater, Hotspot (Wi-Fi account sharing), 3G sharing modes), the WL-330N3G brings you the highest mobility and flexibility in staying connecting, especially when traveling. There’s no need to even take a power adapter with you because the WL-330N3G can also draw power from a USB port. Equipped with an easy to use graphical user interface, the WL-330N3G is easy to setup and manage, even for those less familiar with wireless configurations.

    tedr108 and leeshor like this.

  5. #5
    Jazz
    Member #
    14323
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Why shouldn't you be able to activate your service using the TF. I happen to use an Asus 330G portable router when traveling. I use to extend wifi coverage and as a 3G modem as it excepts a 3G dongle. I change the setting from my TF when necessary.
    You should be able to do the same unless I misunderstood your question.
    My concern is that the activation instructions that come with the Broadband2Go modem say to "insert it into an available USB port to install device drivers and connection manager" which I did in the original instance when installing it on my laptop. Now, I can "see" the device anytime I insert it into the laptop.

    When I put the device in the Cradlepoint, the Transformer does not "see" the device.

    I therefore wonder how these device drivers and connection manager will be transferred to the Transformer.

    That Asus wireless router sure looks great. First time I have heard about it.
    Last edited by sundance; 02-10-2012 at 06:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Member #
    2531
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8,595
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    My concern is that the activation instructions that come with the Broadband2Go modem say to "insert it into an available USB port to install device drivers and connection manager" which I did in the original instance when installing it on my laptop. Now, I can "see" the device anytime I insert it into the laptop.

    When I put the device in the Cradlepoint, the Transformer does not "see" the device.

    I therefore wonder how these device drivers and connection manager will be transferred to the Transformer.

    That Asus wireless router sure looks great. First time I have heard about it.
    I did not try it with a 3G dongle as I don't use one. Asus specs indicate that a 3G dongle can be connected. You may want to buy the router from a retailer that has a good return policy and try it. Or, just keep it for the other features.

    Here are the full specs

    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ur-answer.html

  7. #7
    Starscream
    Member #
    12558
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CA
    Tablet
    TF201
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It sure can. It will extend any wireless network. I bought it on sale $40.

    The ASUS WL-330N3G is the world’s smallest wireless router, featuring six integrated modes within its compact size. With 802.11n, 150Mbits per second and the six different modes (Network adapter, access point, wireless router, repeater, Hotspot (Wi-Fi account sharing), 3G sharing modes), the WL-330N3G brings you the highest mobility and flexibility in staying connecting, especially when traveling. There’s no need to even take a power adapter with you because the WL-330N3G can also draw power from a USB port. Equipped with an easy to use graphical user interface, the WL-330N3G is easy to setup and manage, even for those less familiar with wireless configurations.

    Well, just bought one from newegg.com here in the US. Total with tax (and free shipping) was $85. However, they are offering a $20 rebate card, so I got a pretty good deal at $65. Thanks for the tip, Jeffrey.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Member #
    2531
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8,595
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tedr108 View Post
    Well, just bought one from newegg.com here in the US. Total with tax (and free shipping) was $85. However, they are offering a $20 rebate card, so I got a pretty good deal at $65. Thanks for the tip, Jeffrey.
    Let us know your thoughts/comments when you get it. BTW, there is a FW update on the Asus Support Site. Don't forget to do it .

  9. #9
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    1793
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Posts
    5,903
    Liked
    1224 times
    Interesting this topic came up today ! --- I bought a WL-330N3G about a week ago and today tried setting it up as a repeater. Message I get is "your connection to the WL-330N3G is disconnected. Please check the IP setings of your computer and the WL-330N3G. We recommend you use the ASUS Utility Device Discovery and search IP of AP for entering setting page again." This happens when I enter AES Network Key. Jeffrey do you have any suggestions?

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Member #
    2531
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Tablet
    TF101
    Posts
    8,595
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Interesting this topic came up today ! --- I bought a WL-330N3G about a week ago and today tried setting it up as a repeater. Message I get is "your connection to the WL-330N3G is disconnected. Please check the IP setings of your computer and the WL-330N3G. We recommend you use the ASUS Utility Device Discovery and search IP of AP for entering setting page again." This happens when I enter AES Network Key. Jeffrey do you have any suggestions?
    Mine linked up with no issue or messages. Have you done the FW update?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless mobile routers
    By jmdawva in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
  2. portable usb drive not being recongised
    By petelinden in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM
  3. Has anyone try the Portable Car Power Inverter for Eee pad???
    By rc0224 in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 05:22 AM
  4. For the ones interested in using your portable hd
    By trandroid in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM
  5. PRIME 1.6 and 3G USB modems
    By Fly_and_Momy in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) ROMS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Search tags for this page

asus wl-330n3g e353
,

asus wl-330n3g huawei e353

,
asus your connection to the
,
compatibility huawei e353 and asus wl330n3g
,
install wireless usb modem on asus
,
portable routers for laptops
,
portable usb modem router
,

portable wifi router for laptop

,
portable wireless router for laptop
,

wl-330n3g compatibility list

,

wl-330n3g huawei e353

,

your connection to the wl-330n3g is disconnected. please check the ip settings of your computer and the wl-330n3g.

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.