Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just got new TF101 and screen looks really bad(see comparison photo to ipad)

Got my dad a TF101 to replace his ipad.
    It arrived yesterday and today I looked at the screen and it looks really bad.

I compared it to a Transformer prime TF201 which I have at the moment but have been planning to send back to amazon.
    The TF201 is so much brighter and the whites so much better.

I then compared it to the original ipad and I took a not so good photo which you can see below.
    It is so yellow, and when I look close up, the screen has this almost oily look to it, just not clear at all.

I am very frustrated because I orignally go the tf201 for him but then found the wifi to be inconsistent.
    Now I decide to get the tf101 and the screen just is simply not good despite the great reviews.
    The colors are just so inaccurate and weird.

Can someone confirm that this is indeed a problem with this specific one that I have, and not the current SKUs that are available?
    Anyone else compare it to an original ipad and can confirm that they have similar color.

I now don't know what to do. Order another TF101, keep the prime and accept the mediocre wifi, order another prime? Or just get a galaxy tab even....

Any advice?

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by danan; 02-08-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    i know mine doesnt look like that, i would try to return it for a different one. i dont think this is a very widespread thing as i havent heard of very many issues with the tf101
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    I've been keeping track of reports/reviews of the TF ever since it came out last year. This is the first time I saw anything of this problem. Congrats, you're a black sheep!

Added by edit.

Just a little advice. In the world of electronics, there will always be a bad apple among the lot. For the overwhelming majority, there will be no problem. But for a few, there will be some defects. This is just the way it is. Instead of being frustrated, you should just go and exchange it for another or even return it. No assembly line is perfect. All products have a few bad apples.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 02-09-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    The yellowish screen has been reported here on this forum a couple of times. Rare but others have mentioned it. Best thing is probably get a replacement unit if you can or contact ASUS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting. When I got my TF101 16GB about 11 days ago, it was to replace the Acer A200 that I had for about a week. I noticed that the Acer screen was much brighter than the TF. I wasn't happy about it but after a few days I realized that there was much less glare than I had had on the Acer and fingerprints hardly showed up at all, so I accepted it.

Well yesterday I noticed that the 32GB TF101 went on sale at Best Buy for the same price as my 16GB model so I ran and picked one up. The screen on the 32GB model is much much brighter than the 16GB model. On the flip side, the glare is worse and the fingerprints are a little more bothersome.

Not sure if my 16GB TF was a "bad apple" or if it for some reason had some kind of anti-glare coating on it that the 32GB one doesn't.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Mine's got great whites and better colour accuracy than the Xooms and Galaxy Tabs I've seen. If I was you I'd bring it back.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It is also just plain dim, the screen.

Thanks for the advice I will try change it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Danan:

Why not just go look at some of the display model TF101s at various stores to see what is normal? Also, did you attempt to adjust the "Brightness" in "Settings". Both our TFs are too bright at full setting, so I can't imagine brightness would be a problem for anyone on a properly working TF.

Cbill
    Cbill
    Transformers (2), Xoom, Nook Color (MicroSD root), Optimus V (root)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had my screen replaced twice in my TF101. The first one just got dim in about a third of the screen. Almost like a "bruise" on the LCD. The replacement screen looked exactly like yours. I immediately shipped it back. I called them and the tech tried to say that it was normal and that they were going to ship it back to me with no work being done. I told him that was unacceptable and that I would refuse delivery. I got an email the next day saying they had replaced the screen again. I haven't had any problems since. That replacement screen was very dim and extremely yellow. When I compared it to my wife's galaxy tab the difference was unbelievable.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I did turn up the brightness all the way and had autobrightness off.
    There is almost no doubt in my mind that this is just not a normal screen.

I ordered a replacement. I really dread the idea of having to return it yet again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links