Thread: 2 machines, 1 wi-fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

2 machines, 1 wi-fi

I have a home network with a combination of wired (Cat 5e) and wi-fi. There are 3 wired stations: one is my desktop, another is my wife's portable. The third (my son's) will not be involved in this discussion. At present, I have a Transformer (101) that is tied to my workstation. Both systems use Windows 7 ( mine is Pro, hers is Home). My Transformer also uses the Wi-Fi for connecting/syncing. This setup works perfectly.

My wife now has her own Transformer that I want to setup on her portable and the Wi-Fi. She has her own email & will want her own choice of apps.

Will this work as proposed? Are the two Transformers going to get mixed up since the Wi-Fi is common to both?
    If this is going to cause problems, how best to keep them (electronically) separated?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Sign into each Transformer with a different Google account and they will be seen as different devices on the market.

Each Transformer will also have a different MAC address so they will be separately identifiable by the network too, although maybe not by humans unless you root and change the Device ID....
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It will work fine.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
    I have a home network with a combination of wired (Cat 5e) and wi-fi. There are 3 wired stations: one is my desktop, another is my wife's portable. The third (my son's) will not be involved in this discussion. At present, I have a Transformer (101) that is tied to my workstation. Both systems use Windows 7 ( mine is Pro, hers is Home). My Transformer also uses the Wi-Fi for connecting/syncing. This setup works perfectly.

My wife now has her own Transformer that I want to setup on her portable and the Wi-Fi. She has her own email & will want her own choice of apps.

Will this work as proposed? Are the two Transformers going to get mixed up since the Wi-Fi is common to both?
    If this is going to cause problems, how best to keep them (electronically) separated?
    Kinda curious what "Transformer is tied to my workstation" means...are you broadcasting/repeating a wifi signal from your desktop, or did you mean "tied" via USB? What I'm picturing here is that the two Transformers are connecting to your local router via wifi (so it's the presence/role of the Windows machines that's throwing me a bit). I hope you can elaborate, if only to serve my curiosity.

If *in fact* you do mean that the Transformers are "tethered" to your Windows machines, I'm curious how you're doing it. A while back I stumbled across Connectify:

Your Hotspot, Your Way - Connectify

which is an absolutely brilliant and wonderful way to broadcast wifi from a Windows machine (I think it uses the Microsoft miniport adapter), plus it's free.

Well, sorry for my confusion. In the meantime, what Detection said is spot on. It's not really possible yet to create "user accounts" on the Transformer, but as long as your wife and you use your respective machines they should live happily ever after in the same wifi environment (plus Android Market won't care). Oh, if you haven't tried Fing yet on your Transformer (or Android phone) give it a try: it will tell you an awful lot about who's connected to your router and what ports/services are open on each machine! I haven't tried it yet in a hotel wifi environment, but I'm curious what I'll see...

-Matt

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    To add to the above ^^

I believe if running Windows 7, you can create a hotspot without the need for 3rd party sortware

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Detection View Post
    To add to the above ^^

I believe if running Windows 7, you can create a hotspot without the need for 3rd party sortware
    Yeah, I assume that's what the (relatively new) miniport is for (I tried it once) -- and I'm certainly not plugging 3rd party as THE solution -- but in the case of Connectify I found it worked well. I'm sure there are other options and I was kind of hoping the OP might have one! But now that I reread the thread title I really think you answered his question.

-Matt
    Detection likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    I agree, Connectify is a great piece of software

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    @ gadgetrants
    Uncertain here of correct terminology...
    I have been using my Windows pc to visit android market, select apps & d/l them to the pc. Subsequently, when I boot up my transformer the app(s) is/(are) transferred. Why? My wife had been using my Transformer for ebook reading of books from our public library. This way, I could get the stuff I wanted at my convenience and transfer it to the tablet when I could.
    Now she has her own machine I can just do it the easy way.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    @ gadgetrants
    I have been using my Windows pc to visit android market, select apps & d/l them to the pc. Subsequently, when I boot up my transformer the app(s) is/(are) transferred. Why? My wife had been using my Transformer for ebook reading of books from our public library. This way, I could get the stuff I wanted at my convenience and transfer it to the tablet when I could.
    If you are signed into the same Google account on your PC as you are on your tablet, then telling the PC Android Web market to download apps will not download them to the PC, instead it sends a command to the tablet to download the apps next time it is online, you will see when you say install on the web market that your device is listed as the device you wish to install them on.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    @ gadgetrants
    Ah, GOTCHA! Again, Detection nailed it. I know I don't need to restate, but: you basically have two ways to install an app (not counting options like Amazon's app store --which you should also try!) -- either:

- run the Market app on your tablet, in which case the Market app registers your tablet with your Google Market account, or

- start a browser window (anywhere -- on a PC, your tablet, phone, doesn't matter), navigate to the Market page, log in to the same Google Account, and since that account is now "registered" to your tablet, any apps you select there will download automatically to it

If you haven't encountered this yet: imagine that you add your Google account to multiple devices (your tablet, your phone, your wife's tablet) -- when you browse to the Market (say, on your PC), you will then get a drop-down list of each of those devices. In other words: if you wanted to, you could use one account with multiple devices and when you browse for apps on your PC, you can select which device you want to receive the new app.

Detection said it much more simply than me, and if I get your OP, you want yours and your wife's machines totally segregated. As long as each of you (1) has your unique Google account on your own tablet, and (2) logs into the Market using your unique account, any apps you download will go to the right device!

-Matt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links