Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: backing up your transformer

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

backing up your transformer

I am very new to android. With my iphone 4 I use itunes to sync and backup my phone. What do I use for the transformer?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    My Backup Pro is very good just know that it backs up to the Transformer storage and not to the micro SD Card. So you have to remember to copy it to the micro before you do a factory reset. It does really good for calendar and contacts but for todos and notes and stuff like that I usually use the individual app's backup and restore function. I myself am so used to iTunes and the restore from backup was flawless. It is really taking a while to get used to the Android change.
    cbcon2 likes this.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    My Backup Pro is very good just know that it backs up to the Transformer storage and not to the micro SD Card. So you have to remember to copy it to the micro before you do a factory reset. It does really good for calendar and contacts but for todos and notes and stuff like that I usually use the individual app's backup and restore function. I myself am so used to iTunes and the restore from backup was flawless. It is really taking a while to get used to the Android change.
    if you use an apps backup do you do it to your computer? Also, I have to buy an app to backup? there is not software you download for android devices?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    There is a sync software for Windows computers but I have a Mac and I haven't had much luck with the work around for Macs. So yes I bought My Backup Pro and I was mistaken, you can set it up to backup to your micro SD card. I have mine set that way. It backs up my apps, contacts, photos, dictionary, bookmarks, and several other things. I'm just not comfortable with it backing up like my extensive todos in my app called CheckitOff, my notebooks in B-Folders, and my Bible notes in Olive Tree so I manually back those apps up for peace of mind.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just remember on the tablets it may say SDCard, but it's still internal memory.. the SDCard (dock) and the microsd card mount under the Removable directory not the SDCard directory.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Do the backup apps require you root the TF to be able to backup to an external sd card?
    I have purchased an sd card and want to backup my apps and other stuff to the card but it seems most require you root the device. (Titanium as an example says it requires root)

thanks in advance..

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    why exactly do you want to back up your apps? both amazon app store and the market place keep a record in the cloud... so if for what ever reason you restored or got a new transformer you could just re-download all your apps... am i missing something?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    Every time you turn around apps are being removed from the app store so that could be a reason to backup your apps.
    Current Devices:

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
    Just remember on the tablets it may say SDCard, but it's still internal memory.. the SDCard (dock) and the microsd card mount under the Removable directory not the SDCard directory.
    I've seen several threads mentioning this oddity. I feel calling it that was a UI developer blunder. Did Honeycomb or Asus team test this label with users? Why not go with Root, or "Internal" or something much clearer to the user. (It may actually be an SDcard inside there, but we've not seen it, so how are we to know?) Anybody else think this is weird labeling?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Every time you turn around apps are being removed from the app store so that could be a reason to backup your apps.
    Dude. That's uncool. Another reason to dislike the "cloud" trend. I can see it now: I install an app, use it for years, nearly marry it. Then my system crashes and I go to reinstall it... sorry, too bad, that app is now discontinued, moved on, bought out, or charging money.

Seems more and more like we live on a rolling wave, nothing lasts or remains. OSs change, formats change, devices change, data gets lost because it is stuck in an old format. It gets exhausting just keeping up with the wave, almost no time to actually get real work done.

(Seems a lot of this forum is about how things don't "just work", due to a non-Apple trend of using paying customers as beta-testers, rather than getting the product finished and working before selling it to us.)

Okay. I vented. I like new cool stuff; it's fun (when it works). But I don't like the old stuff abandoned and removed. And it is uncool to pay for something that doesn't work.
    surkins likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads