Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Buying used TF101

I am thinking about buying a used TF101 locally but I have some questions. The seller doesn't have the receipt.

1. Is there a way to check the "mileage" on the tablet, such as when the tablet was first used and how many hours it has been used?. I want to verify the seller's claim that it has been used only a "few" hours.

2. Is there a way to check if the tablet was refurbished version? I don't want to be ripped off by paying the guy more than what he paid for a refurbished version. (Is it true that refurbished versions don't come with the black retail box?)

3. Seller claims he hasn't registered the tablet with Asus, is there a way to verify this quickly?

Thanks.
    Last edited by horndroid; 01-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    1. No there isn't any way that I'm aware of. 2. I believe refurbished units would come from one of the ASUS Repair Centres. But they probably won't reveal whether it is Refurbished -- you could try getting the serial number and running it by ASUS, They might keep a record of refurbished units. 3. See #2. Asus are notoriously slow at replying to emails... you might try the support phone number, it should be listed on the ASUS Web site.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you seen a refurbished version?
    I strongly doubt that a refurbished version would look identical to a brand new one.
    There has to be a way to identify them or else people would buy refurbished versions and resell them as new.
    Maybe the warranty card would say it's refurbished?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    No haven't seen one and I have no idea how you'd tell 'em apart!! Good question! What did the seller say? Used or refurbished? Again, Asus might be able to help you. Now that I think of it, not having a receipt for a $450 item sounds a bit fishy. Is it a Craigslist item?? Maybe the seller is not ​the original owner.
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I said in my OP that it's used....
    But it could also be a USED refurbished version. Not sure why that is so hard to understand. I already explained that in my OP.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    you'll only know it s a refurb if it was packaged differently like a plain looking white or brown box...

Other than that, comparing it side by side with a brand spanking new unit will be futile as it will look exactly the same.

Go ask for test drive before buying it and see if everything works...how much is it for?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by medbuyer View Post
    you'll only know it s a refurb if it was packaged differently like a plain looking white or brown box...

Other than that, comparing it side by side with a brand spanking new unit will be futile as it will look exactly the same.

Go ask for test drive before buying it and see if everything works...how much is it for?
    Yea, the box thing is what I figured too. I think the warranty card has to be different too since refurbished units have shorter warranty. Can anyone verify this?

I am going to be inspecting the hell out of it in person. It's $350 for TF101 32GB.

I am thinking about just buying the refurbished 16gb version from tigerdirect for 300. Idk, such a hard decision to make.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Why is he selling it? Complete with accessories? Do you know this guy?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by medbuyer View Post
    Why is he selling it? Complete with accessories? Do you know this guy?
    No I don't know the guy. Found the listing on craigslist. It's not a scam though. I am not dumb.
    Yep, it has everything included, box, charger, manual, etc. Practically brand new, or so he claims. I think he's being honest since I will be able to check it out in person.
    Why is he selling it? No idea. I don't need to know though. Probably got it as a gift and don't have much use for it?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Identifying Refurbished units
    Does anyone have experience buying a refurbished Asus Transformer TF101?
    Does it have different packaging or different warranty card? Would the serial number be different also?
    To check how old the tablet is, could I just go into the file manager and check when a file, something like a system configuration file, was last modified or created?
    Does the file manager on TF101 display such information?
    This will be my first android device so I am a little clueless.
    Last edited by janner43; 01-26-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: additional questions from double post.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links