Thread: build quality

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times

Question build quality

I have my TF for three weeks now, and really enjoying it. I have one major problem, and it is about build quality. When i hold it in landscape mode, the metal frame just under my thumb gives up. Slightly, but more than i would expect. On the left side it is more prominent than on the right side. I can hear plastic squeaking, but the bending sensation worries me most. Is this normal due to plastic back or should i consider returning this unit?
    Thanx.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My TF is as stiff as a brick. Not the slightest bending or squeaking. Sorry

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Mine has a little give/creaking on the right side rail. I'm not worried too much about it as I handle my gadgets with kid gloves. But if something happens that is what warranties are for.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloesum View Post
    My TF is as stiff as a brick. Not the slightest bending or squeaking. Sorry
    Yes, mine is the same way, very solid unit, no give anywhere. It's your call to return or not. I don't think bending, squeaking and creaking was meant to be the "norm". I think I would return until I got one that was good and solid.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I got no sounds/creaking either. Thou I got two very dim light bleeds, that's only visible on reboot. Mine is only a week old thou, and almost always in the dock.
    The Great Dane

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had a similar issue...I noticed when I was putting on my screen protector that there was a slightly larger gap between the bronze housing the the screen bezel...this was near the docking ports on the bottom. When I pushed it in it snapped in...and if I was holding the tablet in landscape mode I could feel a slight movement on the left top approx 3 inches from the corner. This along with flecks of dust that I couldn't remove as they were under the screen just gave me a unsatisfied feeling that I couldn't stand for So today I sent the tablet back for a refund.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Btango05 View Post
    This along with flecks of dust that I couldn't remove as they were under the screen just gave me a unsatisfied feeling that I couldn't stand for So today I sent the tablet back for a refund.
    I understand the feeling. Sure, I could've dealt with the single persistent dead pixel, and the sometimes stuck pixels... but that "unsatisfied" feeling was too much and I've returned the replacement of my first model. I hope to stick with TF though as I've already invested so much into it (apart from the keyboard dock and screen protector, just time and "emotional" attachment.
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer (TF101) plus Keyboard/Docking Station

"62.15% of all statistics are meaningless." - Unknown

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rgalarza75 View Post
    I understand the feeling. Sure, I could've dealt with the single persistent dead pixel, and the sometimes stuck pixels... but that "unsatisfied" feeling was too much and I've returned the replacement of my first model. I hope to stick with TF though as I've already invested so much into it (apart from the keyboard dock and screen protector, just time and "emotional" attachment.
    Fortunately I didn't invest in too much at this point...aside from a un-returnable Skinobi screen protector. In today's economy $500 is too much to vest if you are not 100% satisfied. I had read somewhere that the reason Acer was slow on restocking was due to a component shortage and qc wasn't going to allow substandard parts just allow for more production...this gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that when I finally received my TF that I would be completely impressed with the build quality...I was gravely mistaken after it looked as if a 2 yr old was in charge of qc the day my TF rolled off the floor. From the bronze housing issue I described above to numerous flecks under the screen....I will not tolerate this! Not trying to troll or bash the TF...I know I may be a small % of unsatisfied TF owners but you only get 1 maybe 2 attempts with me...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Btango05 View Post
    $500 is too much to vest if you are not 100% satisfied... From the bronze housing issue I described above to numerous flecks under the screen....I will not tolerate this! Not trying to troll or bash the TF...I know I may be a small % of unsatisfied TF owners but you only get 1 maybe 2 attempts with me...
    I agree - I don't just have $500 extra dollars to throw out the window. Now, this was a birthday present for me and a "nice to have" if anything. My laptop is almost five years old, and while it works just fine, I was looking for something light and portable. Heck! For the price I paid for the tablet, keyboard, and accessories, I could've just bought a new laptop! Or a really nice netbook for that matter.

I appreciate your perspective Btango! Good luck in your search for the next "perfect" tablet!
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer (TF101) plus Keyboard/Docking Station

"62.15% of all statistics are meaningless." - Unknown

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

unfortunately

I have the same issue with my tf... the plastic frame gives in the corner with the volume control...it really bothers me! But i'm wondering if it's enough to get a replacement!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links