Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

External USB-Camera?

Hi all.

I am wondering, if there would be any chance to use external USB-Camera with TF101? As I have very handy endoscopic camera, that attaches to USB port, it would even more handy if I could use TF as its display.

The thing is "Exibel USB Inspection Camera, Model no TF2808", bought from Clas Ohlson. It works with Linux laptop and of course Windows as well. TF101 does not say anything when I plug it in, but of course the camera's light comes on.

Any ideas? Can you actually even plug any external camera to Android device??

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post

Any ideas? Can you actually even plug any external camera to Android device??
    Probably not. I would guess you need drivers to make the camera function properly.

Like the previous poster said you can plug cameras in to view/move photo's but that's about it.

Maybe someone has or will write an app for it to be used via usb.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the app dslr controler has the ability to connect among others canon dslr cameras with live wieving on the transformer over usb, and works.... But if there are any apps for a standart webcam?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm. I really hope I or someone will find a solution. Tablet is extremely handy as endoscope display. Snake camera is excellent tool when you need it

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Hmm. I really hope I or someone will find a solution. Tablet is extremely handy as endoscope display. Snake camera is excellent tool when you need it
    I would like to think it is possible and if there was a big enough market for it, it would be developed?

But it seems that only a minority (you) want this? (Joking)

The same is for support for 3G dongles, I am amazed they are not supported in ICS without rooting.

But then again, Android is still growing up, so watch this space?
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If the camera appears to a PC as a mass storage device it can probably be seen but being able to open files depends on the format.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    If the camera appears to a PC as a mass storage device it can probably be seen but being able to open files depends on the format.
    I think the OP is looking to use a USB camera to take pictures/video not just to download pictures/video.

One of the big reasons this (and 3G dongles) are not supported is because Google & Tablet OEM's are trying to keep the Android OS as light as possible. This means VERY limited driver support.

IMHO your best bet will be to contact the maker of the USB camera and see if they could possibly make an app that would enable the camera to work on the Honeycomb or ICS platform.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    My goal is to use the TF as a display for the camera. It is endoscopic camera, snake like camera, that is at the end of stiff but bendy tube, that is thin enough to be inserted through a small hole. For example, with it, I can inspect what is inside a wall through just a small drill hole, or see what is under car's alternator without actually taking things apart.

Here is an example:

http://www.homenetworksupply.com/pro...sbcobracam.jpg

So you see, it is just like that camera physicians use to see what is inside you (like through mouth to esophagus).

And tablet is a great display for that. the camera itself does not have any display.

A great plus would be, if I could take a picture of the problematic point or so.

I might actually write to the manufacturer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I think the OP is looking to use a USB camera to take pictures/video not just to download pictures/video.

One of the big reasons this (and 3G dongles) are not supported is because Google & Tablet OEM's are trying to keep the Android OS as light as possible. This means VERY limited driver support.

IMHO your best bet will be to contact the maker of the USB camera and see if they could possibly make an app that would enable the camera to work on the Honeycomb or ICS platform.
    I totally agree about keeping Android as light as possible, but is it not possible for manufactures to release product drivers for android, (maybe signed) through the Market on an individual basis?

i.e. on demand driver install as opposed to "I know about all the devices in the planet", and have filled up your storage with things you will never use?

If Android wants to change the way we use our PCs/Android tablets, they have to support "on demand driver support"

I would love the OP to say, "I went to the Market and downloaded the drivers for my device and it works perfectly.

Happy days!!

Maybe one day??
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, Android is basically Linux, and the camera works with video4linux drivers, which are very generic. So I suppose making it work with Android should not be a big thing. Most webcams work with either v4l or v4l2.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links