Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Will the Transformer's price drop?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Will the Transformer's price drop?

I'm looking to buy the older Transformer and I was wondering if the price would drop at any point?
    I'm thinking maybe with all these new tablets coming out that were revealed during CES, they might drop the price.
    Either way, it's $400 right now for the 16gb and I'm wondering if it's worth the wait. I have until February as it's for school purposes.
    Thanks!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It was $299 a few weeks ago at bestbuy
    TF101 32gb micro SD (stuck in reboot mode thanks ICS!!!)
    iPhone 4 16gb jailbroken 5.0.1 Stable as ever.
    Dell xps 702 windows 7

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    I would expect a price drop soon. I will guess and say $199. by March

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm seeing some scarcity of the TF101 in stores and some of the on-line retailers no longer have any in stock. If you see a good price jump on it before you can't find one at all.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I expect more and more retailers to drop the 16GB Transformer once they've sold out of their stock rather than putting it on sale again. Best deal at the moment is probably the $500 for the bundle.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
    I expect more and more retailers to drop the 16GB Transformer once they've sold out of their stock rather than putting it on sale again. Best deal at the moment is probably the $500 for the bundle.
    That's probably in the ball park. I have 2 customers currently looking for TF101 combos and that is about the best they'll find before it totally disappears or they can find one but not the other.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'm not sure what brand of magical happy dust you sprinkle on your morning cereal, but I'd love to get me some. That prediction is...well, out of this world.

I had originally figured that with demand for the TF201 high, that interest in the TF101 would wane (it would look outdated in comparison) and retailers would try to clear out inventory in Q1. But that prediction failed badly, for three reasons: (1) like the original Transformer, there were profound problems (call it/describe it however you please) getting the Prime built and shipped which has caused a frenzy in demand for ANY unit, (2) the transition to ICS on the Prime has been bumpy, making the TF101 look maybe more stable, and most importantly, (3) the announcement of the TF700T has caused complete pandemonium.

I follow the price on the TF101 daily, scouring price-aggregators, deal sites, etc. To my surprise -- just as leeshor noted -- I'm seeing stock shrinking and as result with demand steady, prices slowly climbing. There is a very remote chance that Asus will ramp production (assuming they still make them) to fill demand, but if I had to place a bet at this point production is shifting to the TF201 and TF700T (funny, I never hear anyone mention the Slider) and the TF101s on the street are the last available (just a guess). If so, then we will probably never see them under $400 (16GB) again.

It's a little tough to pay $500-$525 for the combo when in the last three months there were deals as low as $400 (e.g., newegg had a sale for a week in October: Ben's Bargains - ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet Bundle $399 ...), but if I knew it was the machine for me, I would definitely advise buying at ~$500.

-Matt

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuelchoo View Post
    I'm looking to buy the older Transformer and I was wondering if the price would drop at any point?
    I'm thinking maybe with all these new tablets coming out that were revealed during CES, they might drop the price.
    Either way, it's $400 right now for the 16gb and I'm wondering if it's worth the wait. I have until February as it's for school purposes.
    Thanks!
    I paid $399 for the 32GB version on sale from B&H, a couple of days ago.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justlou View Post
    I paid $399 for the 32GB version on sale from B&H, a couple of days ago.
    You must have lucked out -- B&H started showing the 32GB as "discontinued" a few days ago which really spooked me. Having followed a bit of the "B&H Prime" thread, I don't think they would do that unless they had a good feeling that Asus wasn't shipping them any more of the 32GB units. Which is why I speculated that they may be out of production.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=

New thread: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...continued.html

Newegg hasn't had inventory in over 2 weeks, which is even more of a concern. Maybe it's just a break, and we'll see a new push of inventory in a few weeks?

-Matt
    Last edited by gadgetrants; 01-14-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Nope. The viewsonic g tablet was the first tegra 2 tablet on the market. Came out at the end of 2010. In January or so, viewsonic dropped all support of this thing. Nvidia has been refusing to release any driver at all, so any rom beyond android 2.2 has no hw acceleration.

The device has a 2-point multi-touch capacity screen. No gps. Absolutely no chance of having hw beyond 2.2 because of being orphaned by both viewsonic and nvidia. It's by far the thickest android tablet out there. And yet it still sells for over $300. I just put one up for sale on amazon. Been using that thing since January of 2011. No original box. I sold it for $250 the day after I put it up on amazon.

You really think something like the TF will drop down to $199 by march? Dream on.

Newegg is selling refurb TF for $350 right now.

Added by edit.

Personally, I do not want the TF price to drop. My sister now has 3 TF's for her 3 little boys (3,5,7). I've got one and so does my g/f. Elderly dad got one. I absolutely don't want the value of our tablet of choice to drop.

If you think about it, this thing is still pretty powerful. And with ICS, it will be even more powerful. Since I'm not a gamer (down to 0 game on my tablet, just did a clean house), I can't really justify upping to the prime.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 01-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Gramaton550 and 14theroad like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links