Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bluetooth file transfer and Windows 7 OBEX FTP... how do I set up

I was able to pair my Windows box with the TF bluetooth file transfer app... but it doesn't connect all the way because it tells me the computer is not set up for OBEX FTP.

I downloaded two different OBEX apps for Windows, but I'm stuck on how to enable the proper set up. My TF does not connect... I'm assuming the TF app has everything needed already...

Can a kind spirit please offer some suggestion? Thank you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, perhaps my question was too convoluted.

Has anyone successfully transfered data using the Bluetooth File Transfer app and a Windows 7 bluetooth connection.

If you have, can you please share your setup on the Windows side?

Thanks........ George

PS I was able to connect using OBX Commander, but I can only transfer from the TF to the laptop, not the other way around.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I tried syncing with MyPhoneExplorer and all I get is an OBEX error. I think Asus have a few things broken to fix myself.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I use Bluetooth software called Bluesoleil on Windows XP, and with other phones and smartphones I've used I transfer files using the "Bluetooth File Transfer" service.

Unfortunately the Android Bluetooth stack seems rather limited in the services it supports.

From the PC, the services I see offered by the TF101 are "Bluetooth Object Push" (for sending contact entries) and "Bluetooth Personal Area Network".

From the TF101, I see it is capable of using "Bluetooth Personal Area Network" (under the name "Tethering") and a couple of audio relate services.

So the TF101 doesn't offer or have the capability to use Bluetooth File Transfer.

If you google "Android Bluetooth Stack" you get some idea of it's limitations.

For file transfer I have to use the USB cable (which is rather short).

/davblo

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just installed "ES File Explorer" from the "Market". It has some Bluetooth options and once activated, it used my existing Bluetooth setup on the TF101, but added "Bluetooth File Transfer" to the services visible on my PC.

So now I can view/edit/copy PC files from the TF101 and vice-versa over Bluetooth.

/davblo

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davblo View Post
    I just installed "ES File Explorer" from the "Market". It has some Bluetooth options and once activated, it used my existing Bluetooth setup on the TF101, but added "Bluetooth File Transfer" to the services visible on my PC. So now I can view/edit/copy PC files from the TF101 and vice-versa over Bluetooth. /davblo
    This is marvelous, davblo... thank you very much for your explicit answer. I'll give it a try soon.

George
    (in the Dallas/Fort Worth area... celebrating the Mavericks' demolishing the pitiful Miami Heat and their "superstars")

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been trying the "Bluetooth File Transfer" service provided on the TF101 by "ES File Explorer" (from the Market) and found a problem.

It works when first set up, and there is an option in "ES" to leave the service running even if you close "ES" itself, which also works fine.

But the default TF101 directory which it presents to the PC is /sdcard/. I wanted to change it to /Removables/MicroSD/, but as soon as I did that the service disappeared and the PC could no longer access "Bluetooth File Transfer".

Putting the directory path back to the default didn't help and I couldn't regain the service without uninstalling "ES" and installing it over again.

/davblo

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I use the Bluetooth Transfer App which is free in the market. I have a Bluetooth symbol on the task bar in windows 7 and I just right click it and push send or receive. Slow but it works.

Ads