TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    1. Do some WYSIWYG Webpage editing
    I have never tried doing this, was not even sure what WYSIWYG was until I googled it. Do realize this is not a real computer, or even a laptop. I cannot do proper AutoCAD or Photoshop on it, but I was aware of that a while ago.

2. Print directly using the USB port on the dock
    Need an android driver from your OEM. Probably not going to happen.

3. ... or even use the printer shared on a network
    PrintBot will allow you to print to a shared printer on your network, or a Wireless printer as long as the app has a driver for it. You can also install Google Chrome on a computer at home and set up the Cloud Printing through the settings. Then you can grab the Cloud Print app from the market and print to any printer. Also, some OEM's (HP, Brother, and Kodak to name a few) have an app to print to wireless printers.

4. Resize the open windows
    This is something that is a restriction of all tablets and phones. They can do some multitaksing, but not full multitasking. Some developers (google OnSkreen Cornerstone) that are working on bringing this to Android, but few hardware manufacturers seem to think there is a market for this.

5. get some USB to Ethernet dongle, if there's any that works
    There have been some reports of this working, but I have not tried it. Here is a thread on it: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...adapter-7.html Some users got it working by rooting and installing a driver. Other users have gone and gotten a cheap WiFi router or pocket router to use. Not ideal, but that is where we are at.

6. auto save pics and vids in microSD
    I am thinking this may become an option with ICS (Android 4.0). Each different OEM has a different place to mount the external storage in Honeycomb so it is difficult to make the camera to access all of these locations. I think ICS should standardize this.
    raincreek likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    1. Do some WYSIWYG Webpage editing
    I have never tried doing this, was not even sure what WYSIWYG was until I googled it. Do realize this is not a real computer, or even a laptop. I cannot do proper AutoCAD or Photoshop on it, but I was aware of that a while ago.
    had a glimpse of online sites that offer WYSIWYG editing, still doesn't fit the bill

2. Print directly using the USB port on the dock
    Need an android driver from your OEM. Probably not going to happen.
    I beg to disagree with the "not going to happen" Sir, as we can see production of these units have reached, millions? yet?
    anyway Printer Cos. would gain alot if they can make their product run on these devices, add to that the mobile phones too.
    I have an E65, a symbian unit, very old, that has an I.R. that can easily print on my HP Laserjet 2200D, by simply pointing the phone in front of it.

3. ... or even use the printer shared on a network
    PrintBot will allow you to print to a shared printer on your network, or a Wireless printer as long as the app has a driver for it. You can also install Google Chrome on a computer at home and set up the Cloud Printing through the settings. Then you can grab the Cloud Print app from the market and print to any printer. Also, some OEM's (HP, Brother, and Kodak to name a few) have an app to print to wireless printers.
    thank you for this, just tried it and now testing Printershare, still a no go
    there's something called hplip, HP Linux Imaging Printing that is for linux, i wonder how hard it would be to port it and make an .apk

4. Resize the open windows
    This is something that is a restriction of all tablets and phones. They can do some multitaksing, but not full multitasking. Some developers (google OnSkreen Cornerstone) that are working on bringing this to Android, but few hardware manufacturers seem to think there is a market for this.
    if this becomes possible, the next thing to follow i think will be drag&drop

5. get some USB to Ethernet dongle, if there's any that works
    There have been some reports of this working, but I have not tried it. Here is a thread on it: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...adapter-7.html Some users got it working by rooting and installing a driver. Other users have gone and gotten a cheap WiFi router or pocket router to use. Not ideal, but that is where we are at.
    by saying "pocket router" does that mean that it is a USB powered unit? that will be powered by the USB port of the dock?
    then it should be small enough to carry around

6. auto save pics and vids in microSD
    I am thinking this may become an option with ICS (Android 4.0). Each different OEM has a different place to mount the external storage in Honeycomb so it is difficult to make the camera to access all of these locations. I think ICS should standardize this.
    Hopefully ICS would, as i think, froyo does it.

thank you very much for the quick reply
    Last edited by december8; 01-11-2012 at 12:49 AM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by december8 View Post
    had a glimpse of online sites that offer WYSIWYG editing but it still doesn't cut it

I beg to disagree with the "not going to happen" Sir, as we can see production of these units have reached, millions? yet?
    anyway Printer Cos. would gain alot if they can make their product run on these devices, add to that the mobile phones too.
    I have an E65, a symbian unit, very old, that has an I.R. that can easily print on my HP Laserjet 2200D, by simply pointing the phone in front of it.

thank you for this, i'll explore more of it
    but it would be less of a hustle if we can do it w/o going online

if this becomes possible, the next thing to follow i think will be drag&drop

by saying "pocket router" does that mean that it is a USB powered unit? that will be powered by the USB port of the dock?
    then it should be small enough to carry around

Hopefully ICS would, as i think, froyo does it.

thank you very much for the quick reply
    Note that I said probably before the "Not going to happen". This only applies to USB printing also. Only some of the millions of androids have USB support. most printer OEMS will focus on network/WiFi/Bluetooth printer apps/drivers to cover more devices easier.

Also, the PrintBot app as well as printer apps from OEMS do not put your data on the cloud/Internet.

Some pocket routers have USB power options. I have a D-Link DWL-G730AP that does.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    [this one has a supposed fix, but I've never found a mute button nor does using Dolphin make a difference]...

Watch Comedy Central content with audio
    16GB Transformer, standard Android OS

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have done some WYSIWYG editing for class by RDP into home computer. doing this would help fix most of you issues except the last couple. but certain things you just need a pc for still

The program i used was Splashtop. works really well over wifi on home network. yet to try over the interwebs though.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    The problem with a lot of what you're asking for is most people out there don't think tablet devices as productive devices, so manufacturers aren't willing to spend the time and resources making them productive. Remember that tablet devices are advertised as media consumption devices.

An example of what I'm saying is my own experiences. After almost a year of using my tablet for both work and pleasure, people around me still ask why I'm using my tablet for work. Everyone I know owns an ipad2, and these people would take their ipad2 along with their laptop everywhere they go. After months of seeing me working with my tablet, they still can't imagine using a tablet device for work. To them, it will forever remain a fun and games device. That's why they lug their heavy laptops around with them as well.

As long as most people are like that, manufacturers really have no incentive to include more features that would make the tablet more productive. Kinda disappointing, really, that progress is being held back because most people don't have an active imagination. When I take out my tablet for pdf material references, someone would ask why am I doing that? People not being able to see my screen would think I'm playing games in a meeting.

I blame this attitude on apple. Apple has spent a quarter of a billion dollars telling people the tablet platform is strictly for fun and games. And all the sheeple just follow along.

Remember that one of the main criticisms of the transformer is the keyboard dock. A lot of people are saying there's no need for a keyboard dock for a fun and game device. Even tech reviewers can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that some of us have managed to incorporate this into our professional lives.

The only chance in hades we're going to see usb driver support from the oem for printing, etc. is if apple spends another quarter billion dollars telling people it is possible to use the tablet for work. But what are the chances of that happening?
    Last edited by goodintentions; 01-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Xyphoid, helpifIcan, Anet and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    After reading your post Goodintentions it occured to me that an article about using the tablet for business would be a good idea. Might you be interested in pointing this out in such an article, sending it to the Endgagets, Droid Life, Time magazine etc. ?? A lot of people are simply unaware of the potential uses in a business enviroment.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If only i could:

click on a flash movie loaded on a usb stick inserted into the keyboard half of this machine and have it play, instead of it saying that file open failed, I would
    be happy.

Guess that is too much to ask for :-(

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have a wireless Epson NX series printer

i downloaded Epson iPrint and it works perfect

my sister has a HP printer and they also have an app that worked perfect

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links