Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

best video chat method? and general tips

I was home visiting my parents t bliss past week and I got to play with my mom's iPad2, and i have to admit i was blown away. The video chat in particular was basically flawless. By the end of the week i found myself wishing th de e was more to,tinker with so i figured an adroid tablet would be a better fit (i absolutely love my rooted evo 4g). I did some research and the Transformer seemed like a good buy for my needs. So far i would say im a little disappointed. Skype kinda blew, and google talk REALLY blew. Have other people had better luck with these? Is there a way to get acceptable video chat? I want to be able to use it and feel like it is actually functional, not just a novelty, which is how i feel so far.

I also feel like the internet just isnt as smooth. I know apple is just smoother because of the closed development but this a much bigger gap than between my evo and an iphone.

Any advice or tips woud be great! I can tell this thing has some great potential and i want so bad to love it!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So i think i was extra frustrated earlier with how laggy and buggy it was being when i typed that last post. I hopped back out and surfed the internet for a few and it wasn't bad. A little choppier, but probably closer to my evo/iphone difference.

Still disappointed with the video chat, especially as it was one of the main reasons i wanted a tablet.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    One of the biggest issues with video chat is your internet speed, and the other persons internet speed. If they are not fast enough, the video gets choppy and pixelated, no matter what app you use.

Run a speedtest on your connection and see how fast the upload and download are. The speedtest.net app is pretty good for this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Just wanted to second Frederuco's comment -- be very careful of performance comparisons across devices when you don't control for factors like internet signal and background process activity. In particular, I hate to say this but if you're gonna compare video chatting between an Android phone and an iPhone/iPad, you should probably stick with wifi connections to reduce the influence of cell network quality on the outcome. That being said, video chat on Google using wifi works great for me -- with a big hit on quality over 3G, but then I live in the middle of NOWHERE!

BTW, I just checked in the stock browser, and if the user agent is on "desktop" the speedtest.net website works too. Not sure if the Android app provides a better/worse estimate, but it's nice to have the option.

-Matt

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the input guys. I did the speed test and i'm getting 20 mbps down and 6 up. I'll give it another shot today and see if things are different. When you say video chat over google works well for you, are you referring to "Talk"? or some other way to do it?

Thanks again, i appreciate it.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    20 down?!?!?!??!?! Holy cow, I'm really jealous! At that speed, you should be getting 3D holographic realtime-quality virtual-reality chat!!!

Yeah, afaik Google Talk is the only route for video chatting on Google. I get much worse results with Skype.

-Matt

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaren880 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I did the speed test and i'm getting 20 mbps down and 6 up. I'll give it another shot today and see if things are different. When you say video chat over google works well for you, are you referring to "Talk"? or some other way to do it?

Thanks again, i appreciate it.
    It also depends on the speed the other person is using. If they are on dialup, it is gonna look really bad for both parties.

Also, if they are using satellite internet it will have a long delay as it takes perhaps 2 seconds for the data to head past the clouds, and then back to earth. My parents have Hughes Net satellite internet with about 1.5 Mbps of service. They get 2-4 second ping times no matter what. Using my iPhone to tether at their house I get 3 Mbps down and about 100 ms ping times.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Haha yeah Comcast just keeps upgrading our speeds for free for us. So it hauls. I will Talk another chance today, hopefully with better results. Thanks again, knowing that people have had better results is very encouraging, as i was pretty disappointed last night.

Thanks so much!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    It also depends on the speed the other person is using.
    Sorry I wasn't as clear about that as I intended: I meant to recommend that *all parties* communicate over wifi when testing video chat across platforms/devices, to level the playing field and equate for as many extraneous influences. It also gives you a best-case metric to use for comparing 3G.

Obviously we could further scrutinize the quality of the wifi connection (i.e., who is the internet host on each end? 802.11n vs. 802.11g router?, etc.) but then it starts to get a bit silly. :P

-Matt

Soundwave
    Member #
    Fort Hood, Texas/ currently Camp Casey, Korea
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had issues with Google Talk also. When I first got stationed here in Korea, I could google talk video chat with my wife and parents with ease. My parents recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7, and I could not get connected to them through google talk video chat. It would dial and as soon as one of us tried to answer, it would disconnect. I could still video chat through google with my wife who had a hp mini laptop running windows 7 started. But recently my wife got a new laptop with the full windows 7 and the same problem occured, I could not connect with her either. Skype did, however, work to talk to both of them. I believe windows 7 is an issue, but I am not for certain. One of my friends has a TF 101 and is in Afghanistan and he was able to use google talk video chat until he bought his wif a new laptop with windows 7 and now he can't either. We use Skype now, and its pretty good, but we get alot of dropped calls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links