Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Apps replacing websites ?

I suppose this is more of me thinking out loud rather than anything else but i thought it might provoke a bit of conversation between members as well.

I have noticed that bit by bit i have changed the way i get hold of the content from my favourite websites. I find myself using apps more and more and using the browser and websites less and less.

This was not something i set out to do but more of something i sort of fell into without thinking about it. Coming from a windows based machine i got all my content from the relevent websites but i now find using android has changed that, for the better i don't know just yet but i am enjoying a differrent way to access my favourite websites and content.

I know use apps to view, engadget - joystiq - this very forum and xda forums - youtube - revision3 - twit.tv - vevo - ebay- amazon and just lately for reading books. Now with google currents installed i keep upto date with just about all my motorsport and tech news in one place using a very quick and easy to read format.

All this means i can now go a day or two without even opening my browser to get what i need. I think its just a bit of online banking and bill paying oh and the lottery that i use website viewing for.

I suppose i was wondering if this is the future of media distribution and will it have an impact on traditional websites and browsers as the mobile market such as phones and tablets seems to grow massively day on day and more people use them to access the favourite content.

Is this something else other tablet users have found them selves doing or have you decided to stick with websites to follow your interests and hobbies.

Jason.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by jisonga; 12-16-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Posted by Jason a proud Asus Transformer and HTC Desire owner and user.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I like that trend. Internet content should load in an app faster because it doesn't have to download extra graphics and such, because they are built into the app.

I use 'next bus' every day, and the app loads the information much faster than the website does, even though they look the same.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Theres no doughting that apps give you access to your content faster and on a tablet anyway in an easier to navigate format i find.

Jason.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Posted by Jason a proud Asus Transformer and HTC Desire owner and user.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Certain apps look better than websites purely because they are designed with Ueye candy in mind - tiled pictures with a small write up of the article looks great compared to a site full of links and text, when you're on a smaller device
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would prefer apps to websites, browsing is technology of the 90's, i remember "surfing the web" with netscape navigator in highschool. Unfortunately, apps designed for smaller devices look terrible with an overabundance of white space, such as the ebay app, or google voice, 2 websites i frequent very often.

edit: If tappatalk didn't suffer from the white space issue, this post wouldn't have been done from google chrome.
    Last edited by dimeified; 12-17-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added the comment at the bottom

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    However it also explains why people are reluctant to buy certain kind of apps even for $0.99. Why would you pay for free information readily available inside the browser.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links