Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times

Google pulls 22 apps from the market

This is about apps creating fraudulent SMS charges. For those mostly with phones. -- However, it does lead one to believe that some form of "virus" protection might be better than none at all.

Google pulls 22 apps from Android Market to prevent fraudulent charges

Who knows what else is lurking out there?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Those are apps. I can guarantee you a virus scanner wouldn't have detected them as malicious.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    This is about apps creating fraudulent SMS charges. For those mostly with phones. -- However, it does lead one to believe that some form of "virus" protection might be better than none at all.

Google pulls 22 apps from Android Market to prevent fraudulent charges

Who knows what else is lurking out there?
    Well said Lee. Prevention is better than cure, as they say. Interesting to note that it was Lookout who warned Google. And they (despite what other posters may "guarantee") have already provided an OTA update that protects all Lookout users against that malware (RuFraud). You can read more - including a full list of the apps (note the developers names as these are not the original apps by the same name) at The Official Lookout Blog

On the same blog, the first article makes an even more powerful case for protection & diligence on the users' part.

PS The number of apps removed is now 27
    Last edited by janner43; 12-16-2011 at 03:42 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Many of those apps were also identified by Symantec.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    I made 3 apps and put them on the market - completely free, I was not making any money from advertising or anything.

App 1 was a Google+ App - basic, just loaded Google+ up in an app rather than a browser, allowed access to all that is Google (Over 500 dl's) (Made with Appsgeyser)

Apps 2 and 3 were Facebook Apps, again, basic, only loaded Facebook up inside an app rather than a browser and did exactly the same as it would do in a browser (Over 1000 dl's and over 700 dl's) (Made with Appsgeyser and made with web2apk)

3 days after I upped the facebook Apps, Google emailed me and said it violated the market Ts&Cs and removed them

Google+ app that did exactly the same as the facebook ones was left untouched and active.

Pretty easy to see what their game was there so I removed the Google+ one in protest
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Many of those apps were also identified by Symantec.
    Didn't realise that, but am not surprised. All the main players in this market are on the ball. At work they always used Mcafee.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Those are apps. I can guarantee you a virus scanner wouldn't have detected them as malicious.
    I have a TF without 3G so I am not at risk for this specific kind of scam. However, I wonder, after reading the article, if those apps made it clear that they had access to "Services that cost you money". If they did, not only are they not viruses, they are not even malware.

Technically, if they masquerade as well-known apps, they infringe on copyrights and trademarks. Or at the very least "prior art". That still does not make them malware.

If they claim that they download a popular app and do download it, they are not malware.

If they have permission to use paying services and do it, they are not malware.

It would seem these apps prey upon users who either believe in horoscopes or wish to get a paid app for free. Poetic justice or I have been living in Ukraine too long?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fdemers View Post
    I have a TF without 3G so I am not at risk for this specific kind of scam. However, I wonder, after reading the article, if those apps made it clear that they had access to "Services that cost you money". If they did, not only are they not viruses, they are not even malware.

Technically, if they masquerade as well-known apps, they infringe on copyrights and trademarks. Or at the very least "prior art". That still does not make them malware.

If they claim that they download a popular app and do download it, they are not malware.

If they have permission to use paying services and do it, they are not malware.

It would seem these apps prey upon users who either believe in horoscopes or wish to get a paid app for free. Poetic justice or I have been living in Ukraine too long?
    I think you have missed something that the originally linked article might not have made crystal clear, but the Lookout blog certainly does. These apps definitely ARE malware - they are ripped off copies of genuine apps that are hacked, given the same name & are then republished to the market but from a different developer name.

They include apps as commonplace as Angry Birds - and only exisit to "steal" money via fraudulent premium sms services.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links