Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frederuco

Thread: New transformer OG owner.. some questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New transformer OG owner.. some questions

I've had it about a week now and have some small issues - would appreciate if anyone is able to enlighten me

in no particular order:

1. I have some, i wouldn't say bothersome, light bleed at the bottom of the screen just right of center. Only noticeable on a black background in a very dark room. (i.e. while booting up on a red eye flight). Is this normal?

2. The marketplace doesnt ask for a password to confirm any purchases (either in marketplace or in app purchases). My iphone always does this and now in comparison i miss that re-verification... what gives?

3. keyboard lags slighty.. is that just the browser? i've heard dolphin is highly regarded however also heard it is just a skin over the stock browser. I'm a fan of google chrome and use it on all my laptops so maybe this is unavoidable on this thing?

4. stock keyboard has oddly shaped keys.. I always hit the number 3 while trying to type the letter 'e'. do i need to download another keyboard? can you recomend one that is as well integrated as the stock one? havent tried any alternatives yet.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.. will edit this post if i come up with anything else.

Otherwise it's been great, i just keep getting reminded of these small gripes.

Cheers

Edit - just noticed i accidentally posted in the prime thread. sorry about that, could a mod please help me move this? would hate to repost the same twice
    Last edited by johnsmith221; 12-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Moved to Transformer General Discussion.

1. I have some, i wouldn't say bothersome, light bleed at the bottom of the screen just right of center. Only noticeable on a black background in a very dark room. (i.e. while booting up on a red eye flight). Is this normal?
    IPS displays have some light bleed. If it is bothersome, exchange it or send it to ASUS for an RMA.

2. The marketplace doesnt ask for a password to confirm any purchases (either in marketplace or in app purchases). My iphone always does this and now in comparison i miss that re-verification... what gives?
    By default this is not enabled. If you tap on the menu button (4 lines on the top right hand corner of the market) and go to Settings and scroll down, you can set a PIN to keep users from changing the preferences. Once you set this PIN you can set that for purchases too.

3. keyboard lags slighty.. is that just the browser? i've heard dolphin is highly regarded however also heard it is just a skin over the stock browser. I'm a fan of google chrome and use it on all my laptops so maybe this is unavoidable on this thing?
    The stock browser has some lag for a lot of users. Dolphin is not a skinned version of the browser, it has many different features. I much prefer that to the stock browser. Also check out Opera Mobile as another to check out.

4. stock keyboard has oddly shaped keys.. I always hit the number 3 while trying to type the letter 'e'. do i need to download another keyboard? can you recomend one that is as well integrated as the stock one? havent tried any alternatives yet.
    I really like Thumb Keyboard. Others like Swype or something like that. I am a huge fan of the split keyboard that Thumb offers.
    Last edited by Frederuco; 12-12-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Mickeylittle likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    1. Yes the Transformer is famous for the light bleed but most of us tolerate it with no problem.
    2. ThanksFred I now have it set up to put in a password before making any app purchases.
    3. The stock keyboard has bad typing lag which will hopefully be fixed when ICS is hopefully released in January. Until then do try Dolphin HD or Opera Mobile browsers.
    4. Not sure
    Last edited by Mickeylittle; 12-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Welcome, johnsmith221!! Fred has already got you covered. It sounds like your light bleed is like what most of us have. It is slightly visible at the edges on the blackened screen, but is not noticeable once the beautiful main display comes up. Probably nothing to worry about. Alot of iPads have the same issue with the IPS display.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links