Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Asus Transformer randomly shutting down and only solution is wipe data

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Asus Transformer randomly shutting down and only solution is wipe data

Hello All,

I've had the Transformer 1 since about Early September and this is the second time that this occurrence is happening. The transformer for no reason just shuts off while in use. The last time I was told about a deep sleep issue that is affected by installed software, however, I have yet to find the culprit.

I have wiped data and this seems to solve the problem for a month or so and then the issue comes back. Right now I have had to do the second wipe in order to use my device for an important meeting I have later today.

What is the cause of this issue and does Asus have any plans of fixing it anytime soon or will I have to be carrying out the company Ipad to presentations instead?

Thanks for any suggestions and answers.
    Last edited by deathwinger; 12-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have same problem.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I have only seen a handful of owners with issues that their device is rebooting constantly and requires a force close, and we have over 17,000 members most of whom have a TF101.

It is most likely related to a conflict with an app that is installed and is either not happy with another app (perhaps 2 battery saving apps arguing) or something like this.

The best way to see if this is the issue that I am aware of is to uninstall apps one at a time to see if the issue goes away.

Since most users that I am aware of do not have this issue, and it is unsure what is causing yours, how is ASUS supposed to issue a "fix" for it? Unless you have called ASUS and talked to them they may not even be aware of it.

If it starts happening again, do not the most recent apps that were installed and start from there.

Also, any time the system (or an app) crashes, a file called "ramdump" should be created in the /sdcard/ (also /mnt/sdcard/) directory. These files could be useful in diagnosing what caused the crashes when talking to the folks at ASUS.

I do not know how to read these files, but their folks may want to look at them to determine the issue and help guide you.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    When you say "shuts off while in use" do you mean it reboots, or that it switches off requiring you to press the power button to turn it on again?

If you are getting an occasional "random reboot" then that is a known issue on the transformer. It has happened to me 4 times in 10 weeks, but one of those occasions was 100% due to Google Earth. The other occasions have gone unoticed by me - I only realised they had happened, because I wondered where the "ramdump" files that Fred has mentioned actually came from.

I personally think that it is more common than Fred suggests and that most users wouldn't realise it has happened. Given that my tf has not been switched off since the day I bought it, 3 system "crashes" in over 1680 hours of on time doesn't seem like a big issue to me. It is only technology, after all. How many windows systems do you know that would have that level of stability?
    Frederuco, leeshor, GGS and 1 others like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    When you say "shuts off while in use" do you mean it reboots, or that it switches off requiring you to press the power button to turn it on again?

If you are getting an occasional "random reboot" then that is a known issue on the transformer. It has happened to me 4 times in 10 weeks, but one of those occasions was 100% due to Google Earth. The other occasions have gone unoticed by me - I only realised they had happened, because I wondered where the "ramdump" files that Fred has mentioned actually came from.

I personally think that it is more common than Fred suggests and that most users wouldn't realise it has happened. Given that my tf has not been switched off since the day I bought it, 3 system "crashes" in over 1680 hours of on time doesn't seem like a big issue to me. It is only technology, after all. How many windows systems do you know that would have that level of stability?
    When I say it shuts off while in use. I mean that it switches off and requires me to hold down the power button for the unit to start back up. From there it proceeds to the loading screen and then the transformer starts back up.

Wish I was just getting the occasional random reboot but that's not the case and I'm not complaining about the stability but when you got important presentations to make, you can't have these devices shutting off all of a sudden at frequent intervals with no fix or explanation in site.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwinger View Post
    When I say it shuts off while in use. I mean that it switches off and requires me to hold down the power button for the unit to start back up. From there it proceeds to the loading screen and then the transformer starts back up.

Wish I was just getting the occasional random reboot but that's not the case and I'm not complaining about the stability but when you got important presentations to make, you can't have these devices shutting off all of a sudden at frequent intervals with no fix or explanation in site.
    OK. That is NOT something I have heard of, not in my experience. I don't know if any of the admins, mods or rs folks on here have come across it?

Let me make one obvious point for the sake of thoroughness which I am sure you have tbought of. What was the battery level when it shut off? Android gives you a low power warning at 14% - I have seen my battery drop to 11% before I have charged it, but on another 7" tablet that my wife uses, there have been times when it has switched off, but that has been because of an "empty" battery.

If the battery level was OK, then the only other thing that springs to mind is the power switch. There have been reports of the on/off button not passing through the bronze coloured bezel totally correctly sometimes causing the button to cease working until the case was taken apart and then reasembled. I have read one or two comments from people who lightly filed out the opening in the bezel to ensure the freeworking of the switch. On my tf the button is free & clear - you can get small "wobbling" movements from it & it is protruding through the bezel the same distance all around. It might be worth taking a look at that.

Failing that, I think I would return it either for exchange or if you prefer, RMA it to Asus.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Fully 100% charged and these things are happening.

Power button lose amd working properly.
    Ugh, I'd hate if this required an rma. I bought this as an open box transformer from best buy Canada and I'm located in the west Indies.

Oh well, I've dne it before with my Asus laptop. Maybe its someting worth writing to them to and sending off. I'll consider waiting til ice cream sandwich to see if the problem continues. In my gut it feels like a software/firmware problem. As it works extremely fine with a data clean and the uninstallation of most android market programs.

Thanks for the assistance regardless.

GGS
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    What's the harm in a cold boot? If there's a problem somewhere in your operating system, maybe ...?
    Asus Transformer TF101B1 (32 GB) & Docking Station (since July 2011 - and still learning)
    HTC EVO 4G (Sprint; since June 2010); unlimited data; still nothing better on the market
    HP Desktops (2), very plain and fairly old, running WinXP :>}

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwinger View Post
    Ugh, I'd hate if this required an rma. I bought this as an open box transformer from best buy Canada and I'm located in the west Indies.

Oh well, I've dne it before with my Asus laptop. Maybe its someting worth writing to them to and sending off. I'll consider waiting til ice cream sandwich to see if the problem continues. In my gut it feels like a software/firmware problem. As it works extremely fine with a data clean and the uninstallation of most android market programs.

Thanks for the assistance regardless.
    You are welcome. It's a real shame that you have this problem.

Your problem is right there, I expect. The open box, with your difficulties makes a hardware problem with your tablet the most logical conclusion. Perhaps a previous store return, recycled and then resold, knowingly or otherwise as an "open box".

No software is going to fix it, & a software install of anything isn't going to correct a break in the power supply to the hardware causing it to power down and needing to be physically switched on. If it was just rebooting, then it MIGHT be software, but as it just goes dead suddenly without warning, then it is most certainly (IMHO) a hardware issue.

Just RMA it to Asus - they will fix it & you will be able to enjoy your tf without this issue in the back of your mind all the time. A piece of kit that you cannot trust is worse than not having it!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi
    I've had the same problem. After the first time I had to do a factory reboot which fixed the problem only 3 days later for it to come back. It also appears to speed up in frequency to the stage where you log on and it shuts down.....

Shrub

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links