Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

How to remotely connect to Linux, Mac and Windows from your Transformer for free

So you've got your shiny new Transformer, but need to do some work on your desktop computer?

There are some built in tools (SplashTop) but for some people, this isn't an option. Plus, it's always awesome to have choice, right?

This tutorial will guide you through connecting to your desktop running Linux, Mac OS or Windows.

The technology we're going to use is VNC, it's a great remote connection protocol. In this tutorial, it will be strictly for accessing computers
    on the same network as your Transformer, but in the future I'll cover doing it from outside of your LAN.

For Linux users, follow Step 1 and 4
    For Mac OS Users, follow Step 2 and 4
    For Windows users, follow Step 3 and 4

Step 1 (Linux users):

I'm going to assume you're on a Gnome based distro such as Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora.

If so, go to the System menu at the top of your screen. Go to Preferences, and then click Remote Desktop.

You need to select the option that says "Allow other users to view your desktop".

Then, you can select the option that says "allow other users to control your desktop".

You probably want to un-check the option that says "You must confirm each access to this machine" because, as the descriptions suggests, you'll have to be in front of the machine and click allow every time you want to connect. Very annoying!

"The require the user to enter this password" is probably not needed if you're on a trusted network, but do remember to either set this option, or turn off Remote Desktop sharing if you go to a public network i.e an internet cafe for example.

You'll see that the dialog says "Your desktop is only reachable over the local network. Others can access your computer using the address 192.168.xx.xx.

Whatever this number is, note it down and jump over to Step 4!

Step 2 (Mac users):

Hit the Apple symbol in the top left of the screen.

Go to System Preferences and then open up the "Sharing" page.

Tick the option that says "Screen Sharing" and then click "Computer Settings".

You'll need to tick the options that say "Anyone may request permission to control screen" AND "VNC viewers may control screen with password". The password setting is not optional in this case, as Apple's implementation of VNC will not allow us to connect without a password.

Hit OK and then note down the address that it says other users can now access your computer at (you don't need the vnc:// bit)

Jump over to Step 4!

Step 3 (Windows users):

Typically, Windows is the most complicated to set up This is due to Windows not having a VNC server installed by default. I don't use Windows here at home so I can't provide a thorough walk through, but if you go to Download TightVNC and grab the self installing package, it will guide you through setting up a VNC server to connect to from your Transformer. To be honest, RDP or the SplashTop might be a better choice for most users, but that's the beauty of an Open system: you've got the choice

Step 4 (on the Transformer):

Go to the Market and search for android-vnc-viewer. It's the one by ANDROIDVNC TEAM + ANTLERSOFT. When this has downloaded, fire it up! (Strangely, it has a different icon to the one you probably saw in the Market. I don't know why)

When you've loaded it, type the IP address you were given by your VNC server, and the password if required (remember that it IS required if you're on a Mac)

If you like, you can change the "Color Format" setting to get a nicer picture, but this may be laggy on slower networks.

When you're happy, hit the "Connect" button!

Enjoy using your desktop from your Transformer!

If you have any problems, reply in this thread. Also remember that Firewall software can block VNC connections, so you may need to make allowances in there. I can help with Linux firewalls and Macs should automatically do it based on you allowing Screen Sharing.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    IMO the best app for RDP is 2X

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I second 2X for RDP. The only issue is for people with starter and home editions of Windows don't usually support RDP/Terminal Services.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Padfone 1
    Liked
    0 times
    For RDP i use Wyse PockedCloud (it's free for one RDP connection) and it works fine.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ...and then there's the superb Teamviewer app...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi is there a possibility to connect from my asus tf to another one using any of the above apps, I tried teamviewer however it only allows me ot connect to a computer.. Thanks for the help.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    when i try to connect it tells me:

VNC connection failed!
    Unable to resolve host " local network.local".
    No address associated with hostname.

I put every thing in correctly and i have tried multiple times. What should i do?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it is now saying VNC connection failed!
    null

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it now says:
    Connection time out

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks, This one worked first time out of the box. Don't know how usefull it will be, but great to learn from.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links