Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Wanted: Recommendations on TF101 Purchase

Hello:

I am a TF300T Owner, and I have had my tablet for almost 4 years now. I had researched it quite well at the time and even then the TF101 had been essentially replaced by the 300. Almost immediately upon getting my 300 home I relaized what I really wanted was the 101. My two biggest dissapointments were (are) the plastic enclosure and the lack of Gorilla glass.

My 300 has served me well and is still going strong, but I am considering giving it to my son. Basically, I still want the TF101. As I browse my various options two questions come to mind and I am therefore sending this appeal out to you, the TF101 community on this furum for guidance. Any insight you can give me would be hugely appreciated....

1. Do all TF101s have the aluminum case? It is difficult to tell from web pictures, but some seem to be actually aluminum (heavily textured), and some seem to be plastic. Is there a model or version I need to be aware of?

2. Will I be able to live with 16 GB? Some models are 32GB internal (my 300 is). I am a bit worried that if I get a 16 GB version (these are much more plentiful), and load many apps on it the performance will degrade noticeably. Truth or fallacy? I will be running Timduru's latest Lollipop version of KatKiss.

Sincerely,

David Landsberg
    Ottawa

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Tje problem I have is that the TF101 is so so behind current generations of tablets it's dinosaur. As far as I know all had the same case and 16GB in a tablet can be a problem for a lot of people but it depends on your use.

I'm not certain I would want one if it was given to me.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I cannot believe anyone would want to buy a tf101 now. Even though in build quality terms they were the best Transformer Asus ever made.

That was ancient history in tech terms. Forget buying a tf101 and tell us just what you want to do with your device and we'll be better able to advise you on ways forward.

Buy a tf101 today - don't waste your energy even thinking about it...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you seen the prices for some of these? I would be surprised if you could recommend a new tablet that would come close to the value proposition of the best transformer Asus ever made, especially considering the ROM options that are available...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Perhaps you haven't actually used a 4 year old android device before but it's never a great experience. There is such a thing as "Page's Law" stating software becomes twice as complicated with every doubling in CPU power. At this stage the tf101 would be painful to use with even basic apps.

I also understand your view that current tablets just don't offer the same kind of value at least for productivity.
    It's probably the biggest tradeoff between android tablets and chromebook and cheap windows convertibles like the t100.

Android has a huge and rich app ecosystem (although not one that is extremely tablet friendly) but android productivity hardware can't match the keyboard and track pad quality of even the $200 chromebooks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    janner43 likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    I do love playing with my TF101, but I could not recommend anyone buy one in today's market. The previous responders have given you many legit reasons why not. Follow their advice. The 101 is kept alive by one developer who constantly works to make the ROM and 101 work as good as possible. If you are GIVEN one, check [ROM][LP 5.1.1_r24] [ KatKiss - Lollipop #02… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums for the best ROM available, but you must find how to ROOT it elsewhere. Many of the links given in the instructions are outdated and broken. You'll have to do your homework to get a useable ROM installed on one today! The process is not for the faint of heart.
    Scott
    janner43 likes this.
    iMac 21.5" 2011 32GB OSX 10.12
    TF101 32GB KatKiss 6.0.1 v 34 TWRP 2.8.1.1 Recovery
    http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com/thumbs/3/0/7/6/5/8/7/3076587.png

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links