Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Finding your Transformer no longer charges from the wall wart adapter?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Haven't had a reason to come on the old Transformer forums in a few months, because my 2 year old son has completely taken ownership of the "game-game" from me and my wife. Anyway, you can guess why I'm here now...

Had the issues a few months ago, and popped the brick in the freezer with much success. My wife just got back from a road trip where she took the TF and charger, and the charger was stored in her bag. When she got home, I went to plug it in, and its dead. Tried the freezer, nothing. Tried pending the pins in the 2-piece assembly, nothing. Tried pending the prongs in the USB part of the prick, nothing. Tried a cold reset, nothing.
    Could the thing just be totally borked from numerous ghetto fixes? Its at 15% and my son is gonna LOSE it later when it is dead with no solution

I could go to Office Depot, but I'm broke enough from Xmas shopping without dropping another 30 bucks. Also, I am a bit confused about charging from my computer. It isn't super new, but has USB 2.0 -- doesn't seem to ever be supplying a charge. It is detected, but never shows the charging symbol? Any help on any of those counts would be great. I'm sure I'll end up at Office Depot before the day is over...

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    You can charge from a USB 2.0 port, but it will be slow. Painfully slow, about 3% charge per hour with the screen off.

I have taken the information in this thread plus some additional methods to test the charging system. I will post the link in just a moment.

Edit - Here is the link: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...wont-boot.html

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had mine hooked up to my computer and in a week it never got over 75 percent, it is painful indeed....I got a spare from officedepot, then got an rma, it was not the wall part, it was the cable (i figured that out once I got the spare)...my other one will be home from asus tomorrow, but it wound up being a month long ordeal and asus won't send you a charger while you wait, that is what convinced me to buy the spare

Jan
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought a transformer the first one would not charge at all so spent an hour travelling back an forth in Brisane for an exchange the gave me there demo model but now i go to charge that an nothing happened so took tops from you all thanks an it worked now i just have to figure how i can save apps to my desktop so i can sync them to morrow before i go away for xmas.
    Regards Jan

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thought I'd drop another quick message here. My charger is still dead, and after a failed trip to Office Depot ("Well we should have 2 in stock, but I haven't seen em for weeks...") I was left to try to resort to some other options.

I plugged my Transformer Cable USB into a Motorola Phone Charger USB Brick that I have, and while it didn't show any charge symbol, it DOES charge and MUCH faster than through my laptop. Can get a full charge back in about 6 hours if it is fully drained. Very satisfied with that, and probably won't even bother getting a replacement cable. Only annoying thing is that the TF retains the "Connect your Charger" message 24/7, but I can live with that.

Mei
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by furrylemon View Post
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post on any forum and apologise if i am doing anything wrong.
    I just wanted to let you know that i had fixed my charger problem by following these steps that i found on another site. I had tried all the other fixes mentioned to no avail..
    Hope this helps.The following is from another forum...............

Hi ppl, I think this is probably one of my first posts on here but I wanted to share how helpful the above post was and add on to it with some pictures to help everybody in case this might be the issue with their chargers too. I had the same exact issue as several have mentioned in this thread so far. TF101 wouldn't charge and:

- I had the 0B-1LF charger base as well
    - The USB cable connected fine to the unit and to my laptop (I could access the tablet from my PC)

I spoke with ASUS and they wanted me to pay to send the charger and USB cable to a warranty center, which I personally think is ridiculous for warranty work, so I dug a little deeper.

After guessing that it was probably the charger base and reading the above post, I decided to look inside the port where the USB cable plugs in. Here's what you see (just copy and paste and remove the space between http and ://, this forum has some pretty ridiculous newb rules. I'm not a spammer)

http ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/WRXTranceformed/IMAG0313.jpg

There are a bunch of gold prongs on the bottom, but on the top of the port (closest to the ASUS logo) are two larger silver metal prongs that hold the USB cable in tightly and press it against the gold ones below. You can see them pretty clearly in the picture above.

I used a thumb tack to gently pry them back downwards toward the gold prongs so that the USB cable would seat better. Problem solved!

http ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/WRXTranceformed/IMAG0314.jpg

It's worth a shot before you all spend a couple of bucks shipping something to their warranty center. Hope that helps everyone.
    I have the same problem with my Transformer. It stopped charging a few days ago. At first I thought it was adapter or wire, it still recognized the USB connection to PC, but just won't charge with adapter. Anyway, I did what "furrylemon" posted (that he found suggested by someone from another site), by using a safety pin to press the two silver metal prongs (found inside the adapter's USB port) slightly downward toward the gold pongs. After I did that, I plugged the adapter with the USB cable back into the outlet and it starts charging again! No need to freeze the adapter yet. And hopefully won't have to do that anytime soon. =)

jpg
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank you moose

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    Hey Mates, Just thought you would like to know I had the same problem here in the USA. I tried the freezer fix and it worked. I'm not sure if was the cold or just being disconnected from the " main ", if it happens again I try just unplugging for 20 minutes. Seems that Asus needs to address their design of the Power Supply. Cheers down-under users.
    • Transformer TF101 16GB + 32 GB external SDcard Keyboard/Dock Android running Android 5.1.1
    • iPhone 6S 16GB - ​running IOS 9.3.1 OS
    • Apple iMac 21.5 Intel I5 -Quad Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Ram, OSX 10.11.4, external 21.5 monitor, 4.5TB storage

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy No Charging on TF201

I have the same issue with a TF201 after a week of use. Do they utilize the same charger? I have a Motorola 5.5V charger, the tablet sees it (vibrate on plug-in) so that pretty much rules out a bad cable, but I don't think the unit outputs enough current to actually charge the tablet. I really don't want to have to take this unit back as I have it exactly where I want it now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm saving what's left the battery in case I have to flatten it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Amazing. Left it in the freezer 10 minutes and it now works. Has to be some sort of bad board and/or solder connector in the base charger. Any type of thermal cut-out should have a reset button or be self-restoring. A beautiful tablet and they cheap out on the PS.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links