Thread: ASUS Transformer with Katkiss start up problems

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

ASUS Transformer with Katkiss start up problems

Hi guys. Brand new to the site and hoping you can help me. Bought this Transformer tablet (used) for my wife a year ago. Has worked great. Today she tried to download something, shortly after it froze then screen goes black and it reboots. Keeps doing this, it will always do the same thing boots up to the home screen then go black. I know nothing about these so hoping you can help. I know is has Katkiss. I have tried the cold start?? (read that on the net). She is driving me crazy so I NEED to fix this. I am far from a tech guy, so you may need to dumb things down for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Welcome

You have a really old device which has got a custom version of the Android OS (KatKiss) installed on it. Because of that custom installation, there is no way that what you need to know can be dumbed down for you, so you will either have to invest your time in reading, learning and then fixing it yourself or alternatively invest your money in a new device.

The TF101 is not worth $20 nowadays, so the decision can only be yours.

Thread title amended, moved to Development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    228 times
    One thing is worth checking though: Is the storage full, perchance?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the reply. I am willing to try to do what I have to do, just have to figure out what to do. Honestly...didn't think it was that old.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Well the TF101 was launched and also superseded in 2011, so it is old in tech terms.
    To learn, you'll need to read the sticky threads in this section - to be honest with you, it might all be a complete waste of time, but that's a decision only you can make.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    One thing is worth checking though: Is the storage full, perchance?
    Thanks for the reply. I will look at the storage if I can get in. Seems to me the last time I looked there was considerable room left. But, my wife has said that she tries to update and it says not enough storage. Just checked, it says there is still 24gb left
    Last edited by ASUSeeepad; 08-31-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    Ok, try this first:
    You have a custom recovery installed, probably TWRP by Teamwin. Boot the tablet and hold the Vol Down button while it boots. That should boot you directly into recovery or into a screen where you can boot into recovery by pressing Vol Up - I can't quite remember which it was exactly on the TF101.
    If you see a blue curtain you are golden.
    The recovery is a specialized mini-OS that lets you perform maintenance on the tablet. From the TWRP Home screen select "Wipe" and then just swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to the right. Sometimes the button can be "sticky" and it may take a few tries, but this should initiate a factory reset which will wipe cache, Dalvik and the data partition. That will erase all user installed apps and settings from the tablet and clear out some crud. Most likely that is all you have to do and it will allow you to boot back into the rom. Let the wipe finish, then touch the Home button, select Reboot and then select System.

If your wife has games on there it may or may not erase associated files, those keeping track of game progress for example, so you better warn her or she might kill you even if you manage to fix it! People can be totally unreasonable about losing game progress!!
    A factory reset should - should - not erase those files, but it may. Depends which storage location the app developer chose.... So if she's lucky all you have to do is install missing apps and they should tie in with preserved app data.
    Ask her how she'd rather have the tablet: As is or functioning but in need to be set up again.

If that does not do it we'll need to dig deeper and it will get exiting! For you at least
    janner43 likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Great
    Now that Droidbound has seen the thread, things will get interesting, quickly...

I'm still half wondering if this is a tf101, to be honest, but time will tell...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Ok, try this first:
    You have a custom recovery installed, probably TWRP by Teamwin. Boot the tablet and hold the Vol Down button while it boots. That should boot you directly into recovery or into a screen where you can boot into recovery by pressing Vol Up - I can't quite remember which it was exactly on the TF101.
    If you see a blue curtain you are golden.
    The recovery is a specialized mini-OS that lets you perform maintenance on the tablet. From the TWRP Home screen select "Wipe" and then just swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to the right. Sometimes the button can be "sticky" and it may take a few tries, but this should initiate a factory reset which will wipe cache, Dalvik and the data partition. That will erase all user installed apps and settings from the tablet and clear out some crud. Most likely that is all you have to do and it will allow you to boot back into the rom. Let the wipe finish, then touch the Home button, select Reboot and then select System.

If your wife has games on there it may or may not erase associated files, those keeping track of game progress for example, so you better warn her or she might kill you even if you manage to fix it! People can be totally unreasonable about losing game progress!!
    A factory reset should - should - not erase those files, but it may. Depends which storage location the app developer chose.... So if she's lucky all you have to do is install missing apps and they should tie in with preserved app data.
    Ask her how she'd rather have the tablet: As is or functioning but in need to be set up again.

If that does not do it we'll need to dig deeper and it will get exiting! For you at least

Well I did the factory wipe and all is good in the world. Thanks for that. Good to know if in the future it happens again. And you were right about the blue curtain.
    Last edited by ASUSeeepad; 09-02-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Great
    Now that Droidbound has seen the thread, things will get interesting, quickly...

I'm still half wondering if this is a tf101, to be honest, but time will tell...
    Why are you wondering if it is a TF101?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links