Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By droidbound

Thread: How Do I Restore Files After Root and ROM to KatKiss?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Question How Do I Restore Files After Root and ROM to KatKiss?

I used the app backup that came with 4.0.3 to backup all my apps and data on the external drive. I successfully did the root and installation of KatKiss 4.4.4. I cannot find anything equivalent to the file manager or backup app in this version, probably because I don't know how to find it. Anyway, what is the best way to get the apps from the SD card installed on the tablet? I'm willing to purchase an app that can do it. I also would like the file manager capability. If all this is built in, I would like a pointer to reference material for this version. The quick start guide I downloaded did not seem useful for this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rkulp View Post
    I used the app backup that came with 4.0.3 to backup all my apps and data on the external drive. I successfully did the root and installation of KatKiss 4.4.4. I cannot find anything equivalent to the file manager or backup app in this version, probably because I don't know how to find it. Anyway, what is the best way to get the apps from the SD card installed on the tablet? I'm willing to purchase an app that can do it. I also would like the file manager capability. If all this is built in, I would like a pointer to reference material for this version. The quick start guide I downloaded did not seem useful for this.
    What you are asking cannot be done.
    The backups you made were done with an Asus app and you need that exact app to restore those backups. You have nothing Asus left on your tablet except the hardware and bootloader. Those apps do not run under Katkiss, they are hopelessly outdated. Plus, you should never, absolutely never, restore backed up apps from an earlier Android version to a new rom. It causes nothing but trouble.
    Go into the Play Store to My Apps. If you are using the same Google account your apps are all there.
    While you are there search for a file manager. there are tons of them.

If you liked the Asus file manager you might get lucky and see the Asus Zen UI file manager there. But there are many other choices and the Asus manager is very very basic. ES File Explorer is good (if you like it, get the paid version - it's worth it), many people like Astro, I like File Manager HD... FX Explorer is good.... Download a few, test drive them and keep what you like best.

The "reference material" for your new rom is the thread you downloaded it from. Read it! Lots of good information there. But you just got a pretty amazing piece of software that turned your ancient ICS POS into a usable and (almost) up to date tablet FOR FREE. We prefer our developers, who do all of this work in their spare time with no pay, to keep developing instead of writing manuals....
    It's up to you and your skills with Google search to unlock the potential of your new machine.
    And then there's an amazing community of people here and on XDA to help you out. But we do expect you to make an effort first
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-09-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    janner43 likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the work the developers do. You have been very helpful.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links