Thread: TF101 - STUCK on ASUS LOGO

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 - STUCK on ASUS LOGO

Hi there. Glad I found this forum which seems to be still active even though the Transformer is quite old.

I have 2 TF101, one which I bought (still works but very very slow) and the other someone gave it to me.

The one I got for free is stuck on the ASUS logo. I know that it had a custom rom but the previous owner doesn't remember what it was. So I pressed volume up + power and I get ClockworkModRecovery version 6.

Any idea what shall I do now? Shall I install another recovery software as explained on this forum and proceed with installing Katkiss or this is not possible now that there is clockworkmod?

I am new to this stuff and would like to 'test' this on the free tablet before trying on mine which is still in "working" order (at least my daughter manages to access youtube on it).

Thanks for your help.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Welcome to the forum and congrats, you found the geezer section! Yes, there are still a few of us geezer die hard Transformer fans around

Well you can practice flashing on the free tab to some extent, but the hard part has been done for you already on this one.
    CWM 6 is actually fairly recent by TF101 standards and it should support flashing from your microSD card. Boot into CWM and root around under the Install menu. Check if there is an option to install from external media, like your microSD. That would make the rest of the process a lot easier! The microSD has to be fat32 which is the factory default.

The general steps to get the tablet going again:

1. You should flash a current recovery like TWRP 2.8.1. Download the latest version from here: [RECOVERY][TF101][TF101G][SL101] TWRP 2.8.1.… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101

2. Then you have to format data in TWRP and if you follow my recommendation you would flash the Katshmallow rom for which you should convert the data partition to f2fs. Read this and just follow the simple steps. I wrote it for the TF700 but the steps are the same for the TF101. [GUIDE] Convert /data to f2fs with TWRP 2.8.… | Asus Transformer TF700
    To summarize this step: First format data in TWRP, then convert it to f2fs

3. Read the first 3 posts from this thread very, very carefully [ROM][MM 6.0.1] [ KatKiss - KatshMallow #029… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101
    Then read them again.
    Another time won't hurt.
    Then download the rom, gapps (Google apps - and make sure you get the pico edition (pico for picolo = small, the other ones are too large for your system partition)) and supersu.

Load all the downloads on your microSD and insert it.

Boot into CWM, navigate to the microSD, select the TWRP zip file and hit "install" or "ok" or whatever it is in CWM. Then reboot the tablet. Doesn't matter that it won't boot into anything, just do it once, then boot back into recovery which miracously should be TWRP instead of CWM.
    Follow the instructions from the link above to use TWRP to format /data and convert it to f2fs.
    That done, in TWRP hit "Install" navigate to the microSD and flash the rom, then gapps and then supersu one after the other.
    Reboot.
    Enjoy

Now, if that does not leave you with a brick, you are ready to tackle the other tablet. BTW - a simple factory reset from Settings would probably help a little to speed it up again but a full format of data in TWRP is much, much better!!
    And that in combo with a custom rom is the best.

So the hard part is going to be to get a custom recovery flashed to that tablet. That's what EasyFlasher is for and Frederuco's guide is still the gold standard for it: http://wwwformerforums.com/forum/asu...rom-tf101.html
    The download links in that post don't work anymore which is no big surpise. So follow Frederuco's instructions to get the drivers installed, then download EasyFlasher from here: EasyFlasher - Install CWM/Root/unbrick in on… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101
    Extract the zip, click the exe, connect your tablet and choose the TWRP or the CWM recovery from the drop down. Flash it and reboot the tablet.
    If all went well you now have a custom recovery -albeit outdated - on that tablet too.

Look above, rinse and repeat. So keep the microSD with all those files handy.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by droidbound; 08-09-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    sciclunam likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks DroidBound. I shall try as suggested.
    Last time I tried something similar I immediately got "Cannot Mount SDCARD"

Hope there are no issues with the SD Card slot.

Will keep you posted

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Btw... which katshmallow version would u recommend as i read the thread and it seems there are some issues with several versions.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi again. I copied TWRP on the SDCard (external) and in CWM I am choosing 'choose zip from sdcard' but I am getting
    E:unknown volume for path [/sdcard/]
    E: can't mount /sdcard/

Is this referring to the external SD or internal SD? I formatted the external card FAT32 but still getting the same error.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Update... I managed to flash TWRP via Easyflasher. I now have TWRP v2.8.1.1

I am trying to wipe data and change filesystem to f2fs but don't have this filesystem as an option. I have ext2,3,4,Fat and exFat but not f2fs. My Bootloader version is 9.2.1.27.

Any idea why and is this necessary before flashing KatshMallow?

Thanks
    Last edited by sciclunam; 08-10-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey again. Managed to install the ROM Katkiss 6. Thanks for your guidance I now have a useable transformer.

One thing I noted is that I cannot installed chrome browser. Play store says that device is not compatible which doesn't make sense. Any idea how to solve this? Thanks

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links