Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

[Solved] TF101 Freezes at Boot Recovery

Hey everyone, I'm needing some help.

I have a first edition TF101 (the serial has rubbed off) and it currently has a custom ROM (old AOKP) on it. I wanted to update to a different ROM today, so I did a backup, and was able to boot into Recovery Mode one time. I selected Wipe Data from the two icons to get it ready for the new ROM and that's when something happened. It just froze at the Booting to Recovery Kernel. So I hit the web, this site and any other I could find.

It will not do a standard reboot, I have to get into the CWM and then let it timeout to a cold linux boot. Then it comes up and is operable. *edit* I should have added the ONLY thing it will do is a cold linux boot. It freezes at Wipe Data as well as Recovery. */edit*

I followed the instructions here: How to manually update/restore firmware which is from another thread on this site and let it sit for about 70 minutes and it just stuck at the ASUS ePAD screen. I also tried downloading TWRP and booting to recovery with no luck. I tried EasyFlasher with no luck. I've tried the Clockwork Mod with no luck.

I am able to browse to it and see it via ADB. I was able to get it into APX mode and followed the instructions from another site, with no luck as well. I've been working on this for about 8 hours and I just need some help.

Please let me know any other details that you think would help solve the issue and thank-you for any help.
    Last edited by isaidno; 07-16-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Solved

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    You should never use the "Wipe Data" command from the bootloader if you have a custom recovery installed. You do the wipes in recovery and only in recovery. But that's water under the bridge...
    It sounds as if you have damaged or at least borked the recovery.
    I have a few ideas what to do here but first I need clarification:
    What do you mean with: "I have to get into CWM and then let it timeout..."? CWM is your custom recovery and I thought you cannot boot it?
    Do you mean the bootloader? The screen with the 2 icons?
    That screen also should give you your bootloader version: The tiny script top left. Post it

What have you tried in EasyFlasher? Flashing a recovery? Did you use the version from this site, from Frederuco's thread?
    Describe what went wrong and what you did.
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-15-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    isaidno likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I have a few ideas what to do here but first I need clarification:
    What do you mean with: "I have to get into CWM and then let it timeout..."?
    CWM is your custom recovery and I thought you cannot boot it?
    Do you mean the bootloader? The screen with the 2 icons?
    That screen also should give you your bootloader version: The tiny script top left. Post it

What have you tried in EasyFlasher? Flashing a recovery? Did you use the version from this site, from Frederuco's thread?
    Describe what went wrong and what you did.
    To boot, I have to hold down vol- & power, wait for it to ask if I want to boot into RCK, let that time out, then it goes to the screen with the two icons: Wipe Data & Android
    I misspoke when I said CWM, I should have said bootloader.
    Bootloader version: "US_epad-9.2.127-20120615"

With EasyFlasher, I followed Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101. I tried flashing a default firmware using another forums "unbrick method". None of this worked obviously.

What I recall I did:
    1. Backup
    2. Downloaded KatKiss ROMs, gapps, compats and SuperSU
    3. Booted successfully into the Custom Bootloader (I think it was Rogue) and deleted dalvik cache and user data
    4. Rebooted back into the bootloader screen, did Wipe Data (this is where it got funky)
    5. System froze, waited for a few minutes and attempted to reboot back into recovery, system froze
    6. Started searching for fixes, found EasyFlash, followed guide, no luck - only did 'Flash' at this point
    7. More searching, found this site, "Fixing an Asus Transformer TF101 Stuck in Recovery Boot Loop, followed instructions, no change
    8. Downloaded TWRP, tried to flash, no change
    9. Downloaded Clockwork Mod, tried to flash, said successful, with no change
    10. Decided to attempt to use EasyFlash to Unbrick using "WW_epaduser9_2_1_27UpdateLauncher", still no change
    11. Got super frustrated
    12. More searching to see if there is anything I missed
    13. Made post hoping it wasn't something super-simple or stupid that I missed

Thanks for your help. Let me know what else you may need.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    You are probably exhausted and best would be if you take a break, but just to be clear on terminology here:
    Under 3) booted successfully into custom bootloader, you mean custom recovery, right? What you posted looks like the stock bootloader to me...

I am much more familiar with later Transformers, so take it for what it's worth, but this is what I think your situation is:
    When you use Wipe Data from the bootloader, it (the BL) writes a command to the misc partition to boot the recovery so that it wipes data. Since you have a custom recovery installed the bootloader does not know how to boot it, the command does not get executed and therefore stays on the misc partition. When you boot, the BL will execute any command on misc first which leads to this endless cycle 'cause it finds it on each boot.
    This is what it's like on the 201, 300 and 700 and I think that's where you are too.
    On the other tablets the fix is to erase the misc partition in fastboot. Unfortunately the 101 does not support fastboot - this fix is not available to you.
    There's gotta be a way to erase the misc partition in adb shell with a dd command but I have never done that and to even attempt it we would have to first with 100% certainty identify the misc partition. They are all mmcblk0p.. followed by a number. But you do not kid around with dd commands. If you nuke the wrong partition you may have a brick on your hands. But it's one avenue to explore.
    I have searched a bit but so far I have not found a partition table for 101 that explains which partition is used for what. cat /proc/partitions gives me a list of the partitions but not what they are for.
    Try it anyway. In adb:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cat /proc/partitions

or try

cat /proc/partitions > partitions.txt
    That should create a text file in your adb directory you can post.

The other thing to think about would be to use nvflash to rebuild the entire device. I am pretty sure that would work since it would rebuild all the partitions - including misc.
    The only threads I find on that are pretty old though - which is not surprising - but this would be a good place to start: https://www.androidroot.mobi/2011/06...s-transformer/

One less radical thing you could try - and it is a long shot:
    In adb from your PC type these commands
    Code:
    adb shell
    kill all -19 recovery
    reboot
    This command would kill all residual recovery activity, but as I said, I don't really believe the device gets that far in the boot process since you used that Wipe Data command.
    Get some sleep, walk away for a few hours, desperation leads to taking stupid risks.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    isaidno likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    @droidbound, thanks for hanging in there with me.

In the list, number 3, I may have my lingo wrong, but it was a custom recovery, I remember it said Rogue in like G.I. Joe green/gray, in between something I can only describe as 8-bit wings.

Also, there has been new developments. I wanted to share before I called it a night.

After my last post, I decided to try the adb shell command one more time to fix the actual boot issue, "echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0". I then rebooted, and it successfully rebooted without hanging, but stalled at the loading screen. Progress! OK, so then, I decided, EasyFlasher again. Made sure my TF101 was in APX mode, double checked through device manager, clicked SBK2, and then Flash... that part worked. I successfully flashed the custom recovery with TWRP 2.2.1. More progress.

I then loaded all of my ROM gear on my sdcard, loaded it into the system, rebooted into TWRP and tried to flash. System would not mount internal storage or /data and so the flash kept falling. Tried a couple times, just to make sure I wasn't fudging anything. So since that wasn't getting anywhere, I removed my sdcard from the system and put "EP101_SDUPDATE.zip" on the sd, I followed the unbrick instructions I linked in an above post. Used TWRP Recovery to flash the default ROM and it was successful. On the road to success, or so I thought. For the past 20 minutes, the default ASUS splash screen with the loading icon has been going. I'm just going to let it run for a while and then come back to it.

So with your idea's and pure aggravated determination, I've made a little progress. I just hope it finishes or I am missing something that one of you guys can help me with.

Thanks again for the help and I'll follow up sometime tomorrow.
    Last edited by isaidno; 07-16-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Clarification

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Moved to Development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    Glad to hear you are making progress. Interesting development. I wonder if mmcblk0p3 is the misc partition.... I'm going to have to research the command.
    If you flash the EP101_SDUPDATE you also loose you custom recovery. It's replaced by the stock recovery. See if you can still boot into TWRP. If you can, the flash failed. Then try to format - not wipe - data in TWRP. Most likely you'll get the same error: cannot mount /data. If that is the case, you can format data in adb shell, BUT you need to find out which partition is /data. I do not have that information and no time this morning to find out.
    But you seem to be doing very well on your own, so I am sure you'll find out
    It goes like this: while in recovery connect in adb (I hope you have the recovery adb driver installed on your PC) and run this command:
    Code:
    adb shell
    mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p?

and you need to replace the ? with the correct partition number
    Good luck!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    @janner43, thanks for the move... I think.

@droidbound, thanks for the information, I'll start researching what you suggested. As of right now, the tablet is still sitting at the ASUS logo with the loading wheel, so something is definitely wrong. I do have the adb driver installed so I'm on my way!

Will keep updating post with what I did and links and stuff for when I fix it, maybe someone else can learn from my mistake. Haha.

Forgot some information:
    • I was not able to boot into TWRP again after that flash, as you suggested, so I have no idea if it worked or not
    • I was not able to get ADB to recognize the device
    • I put the TF back into APX mode and flashed it again, and I am able to get back into TWRP
    Last edited by isaidno; 07-16-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys, it is fixed -- for now, cause I'm about to try and kill it again (but installing a custom ROM)...

So after my last post edit, I booted into TWRP, fixed permissions (have no idea if this did anything tbh), opened the terminal emulator to see if I was able to browse to /data and I was, so I formatted and rebooted. It booted into the stock ROM I flashed last night. I guess, I did enough to it that it finally gave up and let me have my way.

Special thanks to @droidbound for idea's and suggestions. Time to try and brick it again! (Kidding, I'll burn that sumbeetch the ground if I brick it again)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links