Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Question Definitely Need Help Rooting, Recovery Maybe.? & A ROM Choice Please !?

Hi there ...
    1st of all my name is Paul ...
    And as you can see by the nil post count, I look like a noob!
    But for the record, I do know basic ADB & APX Mode, & know how to flash ROMS etc.

Just recently my TF101 would not turn on, but was fixed using the "EasyFlash" method.
    So I now have currently installed, is this stock Asus Rom named: US_epad-user-9.2.1.17.zip
    And I have the " TWRP v2.2.1.4 " as my current recovery (as per EasyFlasher-0.8.3b-STABLE) exe ...

EDIT :- I've just updated my recovery to TWRP v2.8.1.1

The ROM is up & running, BUT, it is soo "unstable" it's not funny, it randomly reboots, & the Market is outdated etc.

• I need help for a current *foolproof* "Root" method that works!
    • What order to execute a ROM install.? Eg; Factory reset, wipe system, data, dalvik, cache.? Then flash rom.?
    • microSD optimizing, Ie; EXT3 or EXT 4.? What size.? Do I need a Swap File.? And how do I format all this.?

After all this, I'll need a stable ROM to install. I have a bunch of Roms already, but most of them all LAG.?
    Roms like; KatKiss, CyanogenMod10, CyanegenMOD9_TF101, Android RevolutionHD_TF101, etc.

I've just installed : Revolver_4.2.1_IC421_TF101.zip successfully, but said I'm not rooted (derr) would I like to install SuperUser.?
    Of course I chose to install SuperUser, swipe away, flashed for a sec, then went to the Asus Logo & now doing a Boot Loop.?

What am I doing wrong.?
    I'm guessing all because I'm not Rooted.?
    Even tho I have successfully flashed the ROM.?

Please ... I need some help.? How do I root my TF101.? Even if we start all over again!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You're like 3 versions behind on your bootloader, so before you flash a rom you should update it to the latest: 9.2.1.27. You'll find it here: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...TF101&p=28&s=1
    Make sure you download the right version: US for USA or WW for Europe etc.
    Then replace the firmware file currently packaged with your EasyFlasher download with that one. I think the Easy Flasher thread on XDA has instructions for where to put it, and then flash that file. It'll get you onto the latest official firmware and more importantly, on the latest bootloader. Then flash TWRP again, but make sure it's the right version for the rom you want to flash (see below).
    Before you flash a rom you'll have to wipe data, cache and Dalvik, if you want to go super clean, format data in TWRP instead of just wiping.
    I don't have a 101 but I only hear the best things about KatKiss. Polished, stable... probably doesn't get much better than that rom on this tablet. Check the OP of the KatKiss thread for the correct recovery.
    As for your microSD: leave it on fat32, the factory default, unless you will have very large files (< 4gb) on it. If you do, go for NTFS.
    Good luck

Edit: You don't need root for any of that. Any custom rom is rooted out of the box.
    Last edited by droidbound; 04-28-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, I just so happen to have the "WW_epaduser9_2_1_27UpdateLauncher.zip" already downloaded.
    I'm here in Australia, so that version 'should be ok', shouldn't it.? WW stands for World Wide right.?
    I'm about to try that update flash you mentioned (it goes in the "EasyFlasher-0.8.3b-STABLE\asusupdate" folder!

I went to the Asus Support page you linked, they didn't have my OS being Windows 8.1 64bit, so I chose Windows 7, 64bit.
    I was looking for a file ~300MB, but they only had 2 files, an ASUS Pad PC Suite (87,47 (KBytes), & Splashtop 2, 11,87 (MBytes) ??

Guess I'll wipe the Recovery to get the update.? Or can I skip the recovery bit of the update.? Because I have a later version of TWRP!!
    Just wondering if I flash the "asus update", let it boot, Recovery & OS intact, goto flash KatKiss, wether it'll tell me I'm not rooted again.?
    Because when I goto reboot, it doesn't load properly & does that boot loop. UNLESS the updated Asus file fixes that.? Hope so, fingers crossed. (x)

Anyway, you mentioned "Check the OP of the KatKiss thread for the correct recovery."
    I did that, & from the KatKiss ROM Page
    ([ROM][LP 5.1.1_r1] [ KatKiss - Lollipop #023&hellip; | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums) I'm already on Twrp 2.8.1.1 :-))

Question: Do I wipe the old ROM before doing the Asus Firmware Update.?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Still boot looping after successful KatKiss Rom install ??

#Quick Update#

I followed all instructions to the tee ...

I went back to basics, used the EasyFlasher & used the 9.2.1.27 update!
    I even went back to the EasyFlasher TWRP 2.2.1 Recovery ...
    Recovery & Update was successful, reboot, done!

It was still glitchy to me, freezes/locks up, random reboots etc ...
    I went into recovery, flashed my TWRP 2.8.1.1 ... Successful, Rebooted.

Went back into Recovery, did a backup of the Asus Stock Rom .. all good ...
    Wiped/Factory Reset the tablet etc, & proceeded to install the Lollipop KatKiss ROM
    Said successful, flash SuperSU, successful, flashed GApps, successful, wipe cache/dalvik, reboot.

I've now rebooted as above for the 1st time ... and again, I'm STILL in a Boot Loop.? What the hell.? What have I missed.?

So I flash a stock Asus Rom on & it's glitchy, but boots fine. BUT I install a custom rom & it has a spaz attack.? What have I done wrong.?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You seem to be doing everything correctly..... Which gapps package did you flash? The one linked to from the KatKiss OP?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Perhaps a complete recovery format is in order?
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You seem to be doing everything correctly..... Which gapps package did you flash? The one linked to from the KatKiss OP?
    Yeahh, I thought I did everything right.? Flashed heaps of roms before, but this TF101 has got me.?

And Yes, the gapps-KatKiss-5.0_20141122.zip as per listed downloads.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Perhaps a complete recovery format is in order?
    Wow.? Never heard of that before.? I've wiped my TF101 clean anyway, so I'm happy to "format the recovery", just dunno how yet.?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Scenario 1 - Using EasyFlasher, flash Twrp 2.2.1.4, flash asus-update, success, reboot, OS is up (but glitchy) but running!

Scenario 2 - After stock rom installed, go into recovery, update Twrp → 2.8.1.1, reboot to finish recovery install.
    ------------- Then go back to recovery, all sweet, backup stock rom, factory wipe, install custom-rom + gapps, success, reboot.
    ------------- Upon rebooting, I get the Asus animation logo etc, but now starts boot looping continuously.? Yet is was a successful install.?

------------> So I then go back to recovery, BUT, I get a surprise instead.? I'm now presented with this guy → o06lw9.jpg

------------- I shutdown the tablet & attempt to enter recovery again ... Same thing.? Guessing I no longer have a recovery.? Why.?

This happens no matter what "Custom ROM" I choose, all Roms install successfully, but when rebooting, boot-loops, & recovery is gone, again.? Why

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    This is the strangest thing I've read in a quite a while....
    And the only explanation I can up with is that in scenario 2 you flashed the stock rom instead of a custom rom, then the gapps package on top of that and that's why you have the bootloop.
    The stock recovery, and that's the fallen Droid, doesn't just appear out of nowhere - it needs to be flashed and since it's packaged in the Asus system blob somehow you must have flashed that one.....
    I mean - you clearly had TWRP installed and working. It doesn't just uninstall itself!!!!!I would recommend you start from scratch.
    Delete all rom files you have on your microSD, download katkiss again, have that as the only rom file on the card and reflash TWRP. Then flash just the rom and boot it without flashing the gapps.
    Let's see where that gets you.....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_1 View Post
    Scenario 1 - Using EasyFlasher, flash Twrp 2.2.1.4, flash asus-update, success, reboot, OS is up (but glitchy) but running!

Scenario 2 - After stock rom installed, go into recovery, update Twrp → 2.8.1.1, reboot to finish recovery install.
    And the only explanation I can up with is that in scenario 2 you flashed the stock rom instead of a custom rom, then the gapps package on top of that and that's why you have the bootloop.
    In scenario 2, I'm referring to the 'stock rom' as the initial 'easyflash proceedure' to get twrp recovery on, & the Asus 9.2.1.27 update, on the tablet 1st.
    Sorry for the confusion there ... There is no other rom installed other than the Asus Update itself ... Then I attempt the KatKiss Rom, + the KatKiss Gapps!

Delete all rom files you have on your microSD, download katkiss again, have that as the only rom file on the card and reflash TWRP. Then flash just the rom and boot it without flashing the gapps.
    Let's see where that gets you.....
    Yep! More than happy to delete all the Roms I have downloaded & start fresh! - I'll only install the KatKiss Rom, then boot up & see how it goes first.!?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links