Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

need suggestions for rehabilitating my TF101

Hi All,

I haven't used my TF101 much for a long time, because the performance is extremely poor. Very slow, a lot of lag, often halting. Because I haven't been using it, I am kind of out of it in regards to recent developments.

Right now my Transformer is running Android 4.0.3, with revolver 4.2.1.

I would like suggestions from the forum for the best system software set-up for my device.

My main concern is good system performance, so the device is a pleasure to use. I don't care if I have all the latest stuff, if that will come with the cost of crippling my device performance. If I could just get it running smoothly again that would be great.

Also, assuming I will need to start from scratch, I'm guessing it will mean losing everything on my device, so what is the best way to backup (and later restore) all my apps and app data?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by sovrei; 04-14-2015 at 04:24 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    I don't know what you mean by "with revolver 4.2.1", so with that caveat here's what you can do.
    First read this thread on how to install and use the EasyFlasher tool: Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101
    When you're ready, backup your data to a microSD or your PC. You can reinstall your apps from the Play Store after flashing a new rom and you should. Restoring apps from a ICS rom to a newer rom can lead to to trouble, better to install them from scratch. If you haven't used the tablet in a long time I assume you don't have anything really important on it anyway....
    Get EasyFlasher set up on your PC with the necessary drivers and use it to flash one of the TWRP versions. For now it doesn't matter which one you choose since you'll only use it to replace it with a later version.
    Head over to the Transformer forum on XDA and there the Development subforum.
    The best rom for the TF101 is most likely KatKiss. You have the choice between a KK or Lollipop version, they both have their own thread on XDA. If you just want stable and fast go for the KK version. Download the rom and the corresponding gapps package from that thread to your microSD. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2592890
    Then head over to the unofficial TWRP thread in the same forum, and download the latest version to your microSD, it comes in form of a flashable zip. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2434422
    Boot into TWRP which you installed with EasyFlasher. Go to Install, navigate to your microSD and flash the latest TWRP you downloaded from XDA.
    Reboot your tablet - do not skip[ this step - to complete the insallation of your new TWRP.
    Boot into it TWRP and perform a Factory Wipe, that's the default selection under the wipe menu. I actually would recommend you format your data partition. It gives you a better and cleaner start for the new rom than just wiping the data partition. Format is an option under the wipe menu. Do not interrupt formatting, just wait until TWRP reports it's done - no matter how long it takes, which could be 90 minutes so make sure your battery is charged.
    Go back to the Install menu in TWRP, choose the Katkiss zip from your microSD and swipe the button to flash it.
    Once that is done, flash the gapps package the same way.
    Reboot to system and go have some coffee, the first boot takes a while.
    Enjoy

If all of that is too much for your liking, backup your stuff and perform a factory reset from Settings on your current rom. It will help to make it run better, but no comparison to running KatKiss.
    DO NOT PERFORM A FACTORY RESET FROM SETTINGS AFTER INSTALLING A CUSTOM RECOVERY. ONCE ON TWRP YOU ONLY USE YOUR RECOVERY TO WIPE, FLASH, FORMAT - WHATEVER.

If you're new to this, you have a lot of reading to do. Do your homework, ask questions if unsure. Done correctly, this is fairly easy. But you can brick your tablet if you do it wrong. This was a friendly warning...
    Last edited by droidbound; 04-14-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    Gtanner00 and scottporter like this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2789 times
    Moved to development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the very informative reply droidbound.

Revolver is a custom ROM. Maybe it is now defunct. I can't quite remember the other tools I used when rooting my device in the past.

For backing up apps is there anything you recommend? I have Helium which has an option for just backing up the app data. So I'm thinking if I reinstall apps fresh as you suggest, I could then restore the data to those which have data in them I need.

Should this work or what do you recommend?

I am now going over Frederuco's Guide. I'll post again if I run into any problems.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    480 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sovrei View Post
    Thanks for the very informative reply droidbound.

Revolver is a custom ROM. Maybe it is now defunct. I can't quite remember the other tools I used when rooting my device in the past.

For backing up apps is there anything you recommend? I have Helium which has an option for just backing up the app data. So I'm thinking if I reinstall apps fresh as you suggest, I could then restore the data to those which have data in them I need.

Should this work or what do you recommend?

I am now going over Frederuco's Guide. I'll post again if I run into any problems.
    My personal opinion on this matter is to only restore data in apps if you absolutely must have it back. Restoring data across android versions can create lots of problems that may be unidentifiable. Choose to restore backups for things like game progress but for most other apps that have an account sign in or a way to save preferences it is not really needed.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Ok, I have followed the instructions for installing the naked drivers and then running Easy Flasher.

After installing the naked drivers, I do see my device listed in APX mode.

But it looks like the flash is not working on my tablet, because I do not get the message on my TF screen.

Is this possibly because I have previously installed recovery software on my Transformer?

When I boot into recovery after doing the apparently unsuccessful flash, I see the following:

An option between WIPE DATA, ANDROID, and a message that OS will cold boot into Linux if no option is selected in 10 seconds.
    Last edited by sovrei; 04-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    If you're running a custom rom you should have a custom recovery installed already. After booting to the bootloader push Volume Up within 5 seconds. That should boot your recovery. Post the result.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Ok. I've got to the recovery.

I see:

Rogue XM Recovery 1.3.0 (CWM-based recovery v 5.0.2.7)

There is also a list of options:

reboot system
    install from zip file
    wipe
    backup and restore
    mounts and storage
    advanced

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    Ok, cool. I have never heard of that recovery but if it's CWM based it can flash a zip. I don't know though if it supports flashing from a microSD. So I would say.... download that flashable TWRP zip I linked to earlier, place it both on your internal storage and a microSD, then boot back into recovery and choose "install from zip". Find the TWRP zip and flash it. The installer script is inside that zip and it's specific to the TF101 so you should be fine.
    Then reboot system. Nothing will have changed - you only replaced your recovery.
    Boot back into it as before and this time it should be TWRP that fires up.
    Go to Wipe >Advanced and format data. Let it do it's thing, no matter how long it takes.
    Now you're ready to flash your new rom. And you have to have to have it on your external microSD! Remember - you just totally wiped your internal storage!

On the restore thing I agree with gtanner00. You can try to restore app data. But be prepared to wipe and reflash the rom again if that restore has unintended consequences.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi droidbound,

Have run into one problem here. I can no longer get the transformer to show up on my pc so that I can transfer the needed zip files to my sd card. Previously it would show up whenever I connected it via USB. Is this a result of having installed the universal naked drivers?

Update:

Ok I transferred everything using a wifi transfer app. Now have the new OS up and running on my tablet. Just starting to use and configure it, but it's looking good. about 100 times faster and more responsive than my old system, which is great. Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by sovrei; 04-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    droidbound and Swipe like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links