Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By senbebolt
  • 1 Post By frenziedfemale

Thread: [SOLVED] cannot access recovery after attempting flash (per Frederuco's guide)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

[SOLVED] cannot access recovery after attempting flash (per Frederuco's guide)

Hey everyone, I've been following this forum for details about flashing katkiss 4.4.4 onto my tf101 - awesome stuff... This is my first time doing anything with a linux based system and my first time attempting to falsh a rom onto a device. I followed Frederuco's steps for flashing KatKiss 4.4.4 and was able to successfully flash the rom onto the tablet. I realized after I had already booted that I had forgotten to get the gapps, so I downloaded that. Almost every attempt failed except for 1 (I don't remember which build as I had to download a number of them to find one that worked). Eventually, that successfully installed, on boot up a message popped up saying that it was installing apps, but once fully booted up I could not find any apps but what came with the KatKiss zip - basic browser, calculator, etc. So I tried wiping and reflashing, tried cyanogenmod too, tried a gapps package for that and it failed. Just to add to this, after almost every successful attempt of flashing a rom onto the device, I cleared the 3 caches that are instructed in Frederuco's guide, still cant find the play store or any other of the 63 apps it said it was installing before the device completely booted. So I wiped everything, internal, cache, blah blah. Stupid me though - I did not back up my stock rom on my first try. Here's where the trouble comes in. I wanted to try once again to do a clean install of KatKiss and gapps with the MD5 files on the card (even though TWRP told me it could not find them on my sd card) so I wiped everything, cleared caches, but now after I connect the tablet to my computer and it is identified in device manager as Asus Transformer APX Interface I am able to flash and the white words in the top right corner come up as usual:
    Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p server
    Chip Uid: 038061c243e0f5d7
    !!!!!phone update success!!!!!
    !!!!!phone update success!!!!!
    NOW the fun.
    I cannot boot any recovery, custom, stock, anything. when i press and hold the power and volume down buttons, I can hear the "device disconnecting from computer" sound, but where the normal Asus Eeepad logo usually comes up and boots to TWRP, it no longer does. just a black screen. I can't even tell whether it is on. I'm wondering whether my battery died at some point during the wipe and re-flash and screwed something up, but now I can't get to anything recovery related and therefore unable to try to reinstall anything. I hope some person here can help me out, it would be most appreciated. You guys kick ass, keep up the good work. And Frederuco, if you read this, even though I couldn't get it to work for the gapps, your install tutorial was awesome. I must have just been doing something wrong. Again thanks guys, I hope someone can help!
    Best.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Welcome to the forum senbebolt and I'm glad you like the information you find here. Double posting is frowned upon though (it fragments useful information and possible solutions), but I'm sure one of the mods like @swipe will catch this soon and merge your two threads.

Good post, except it's a little short on specifics like version numbers... So I'm not sure what you flashed and in what order. You should always find the correct gapps package in the OP of the rom you are flashing. Use only that one.
    I have the feeling you have to start at square one again: flashing the custom recovery. Be careful about the wipes - what do you mean "the 3 caches"? There's only cache and Dalvik???
    Using EasyFlasher you can always just reflash the stock rom if necessary, but I think you should start by flashing TWRP again, make sure your microSD is formatted fat32, load the KatKiss rom and corresponding gapps package on it and start again.
    Good luck!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I'm sure one of the mods like @swipe will catch this soon and merge your two threads.
    Who, me? Since the text was the same I deleted the other thread. Thanks for thinking of yours truly. Oh, and welcome to the forum senbebolt !

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    droidbound, thanks so much for your response - I apologize for double posting, I was about at wits end thinking that I had bricked it, after reading and discovering this particular tablet is actually pretty powerful (even though it didnt seem so as stock with google bloatware) and hard to brick. I got it for less than 200 bucks with the dock from a groupon deal and I use it a lot for school and work. It has just recently been almost unusably slow and buggy. What I had been doing was flashing then installing KatKiss 4.4.4 then trying gapps, but gapps never actually worked, It never asked me to sign in with google and app store never appeared even when the flash said "successful" so id repeat the process in a number of ways with a number of different versions of gapps that is compatible with KatKiss 4.4.4. Eventually the TWRP custom recovery would simply not load no matter how long I held pwr & volume -. So I went to the asus website and downloaded the og firmware and put it into TWRP and flashed it onto the tablet to unbrick/restore to stock. IT TOOK FOREVER. At least 2 hours, it seemed way too long compared to flashing on KatKiss so I was getting worried. I somehow found the patience to wait it out and it (to my surprise) it restored to stock. So, I flashed again using TWRP, I formatted a larger 32 GB microSD and put all of the zips and files on it. This time there was a difference, whereas before the MD5 were not found, they were miraculously found this time. Flashed Rom, then gapps, clear dalvik/cache (what I meant by the 3 caches was basically everything that you can wipe or clear with the exception of the external SD, I did and it made no difference with making play store appear or gapps successfully flash) and it was smoooooooooth like silk. Now I'm up and running and dont regret any of the hours I spent dicking around with it. There is an extremely noticeable boost in speed and the UI is amazing, much, much better than stock. Anyway, I figured all this out before I checked back up on this post and found that what you recommended was almost exactly what I needed to do, I appreciate your time to write the response and hope it can help some other poor fool who is worried they just ruined a perfectly fine tablet like I did. Again, thanks so much, I feel kinda bad you had to type all that up. Any cool things you could recommend to someone new to KatKiss and custom roms?
    Thanks again!
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry for that @swipe i'm brand spankin' new to this whole thing and was trying to bump it to find results, I searched and searched google and could not find any examples of the situation I was in and was starting to get a little worried I killed it haha. Thanks for the warm welcome though, you guys are badass!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by senbebolt View Post
    Sorry for that @swipe i'm brand spankin' new to this whole thing and was trying to bump it to find results, I searched and searched google and could not find any examples of the situation I was in and was starting to get a little worried I killed it haha. Thanks for the warm welcome though, you guys are badass!
    Good deal! Now you can add [SOLVED] to the beginning of your thread's title and make it easier for somebody else to find your solution.

Tips for custom roms? Boy, it depends so much on how you use your tablet: Gaming or just web surfing, music, as portable notebok, if you're into theming or customizing the UI....The sky's the limit.....

I prefer a bare bones setup with some flourishing touches in terms of a nice theme - don't like to "gum up" the rom the dev spent many hours on developing.
    In terms of user experience the right launcher (Apex, ADW, Nova) makes a huge difference. And then there is the Xposed framework... There are so many modules for it that you can experiment with them for months!
    Warning: this can get to be addictive in very short order :laugh:

And remember: always nandroid your last setup before you try something new!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Marked as solved!
    droidbound likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links