Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

TF 101 On Kat Kiss 4.4.4 and having fun

Hi Forum,

I am a person with a very strong technical background but am very new to the internals of Android!

I've been playing with Standard Android for a while and I've written a couple of simple apps with MIT App Inventor to control things in my home such as the water heating using an SMS manager (autobleep.com). So I thought it was time to get familiar with the internals of Android.

In addition to my TF 101 which I've had for 3-years, I have 2 Galaxy S3 Mobiles (one South Africa SIM and one UK SIM) and a recently purchased Nexus-7 Tablet which I've upgraded to bog standard Kit-Kat with no issues at all.

I love the Android environment it's open and friendly; I'm so glad that I never went down the competitor's bespoke and closed path.

As my TF101 was very slow and overloaded, I decided to move all my work and apps to the Nexus-7 and to use the TF 101 as a development machine with all the bleeding edge stuff!

So I've spent a couple of days becoming accustomed with routing, flashing ROMs and recovery partitions All good!

I'm using the really excellent TWRP (Team Win recovery Project) management tool which I'd advise anyone planning to start playing with the internals of Android devices to use. It's pretty much impossible to Brick a device with this tool loaded.

I've loaded Timduru's 4.4.4 KatKiss ROM and it works really well. Responsive and solid

NB I needed to load the micro GAPPS package, as the mini and standard packages were too big for my 32MB TF 101 with KatKiss loaded.

The only real issue I've found so far is that the GPS is not recognised by some common apps. I'll research that a bit more and then post my findings in detail when I'm sure what's actually happening.

So, I look forward to participating in this Forum and to exploring the internal world of Android.

All tips, suggestions and ideas regarding KatKiss on the TF 101, as well as any Android internals pointers very welcome. Feel free to point me in the right direction

Cheers, Sandtonman.
    Last edited by Sandtonman; 08-11-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: add last paragraph

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Welcome on board, Sandtonman!
    I have a feeling we may be learning more from you than the other way arond

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum

To point you in the right direction for other help/info, I have moved your thread from "New Members" to tf101 development.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
    Hi Forum,

I am a person with a very strong technical background but am very new to the internals of Android!

I've been playing with Standard Android for a while and I've written a couple of simple apps with MIT App Inventor to control things in my home such as the water heating using an SMS manager (autobleep.com). So I thought it was time to get familiar with the internals of Android.

In addition to my TF 101 which I've had for 3-years, I have 2 Galaxy S3 Mobiles (one South Africa SIM and one UK SIM) and a recently purchased Nexus-7 Tablet which I've upgraded to bog standard Kit-Kat with no issues at all.

I love the Android environment it's open and friendly; I'm so glad that I never went down the competitor's bespoke and closed path.

As my TF101 was very slow and overloaded, I decided to move all my work and apps to the Nexus-7 and to use the TF 101 as a development machine with all the bleeding edge stuff!

So I've spent a couple of days becoming accustomed with routing, flashing ROMs and recovery partitions All good!

I'm using the really excellent TWRP (Team Win recovery Project) management tool which I'd advise anyone planning to start playing with the internals of Android devices to use. It's pretty much impossible to Brick a device with this tool loaded.

I've loaded Timduru's 4.4.4 KatKiss ROM and it works really well. Responsive and solid

NB I needed to load the micro GAPPS package, as the mini and standard packages were too big for my 32MB TF 101 with KatKiss loaded.

The only real issue I've found so far is that the GPS is not recognised by some common apps. I'll research that a bit more and then post my findings in detail when I'm sure what's actually happening.

So, I look forward to participating in this Forum and to exploring the internal world of Android.

All tips, suggestions and ideas regarding KatKiss on the TF 101, as well as any Android internals pointers very welcome. Feel free to point me in the right direction

Cheers, Sandtonman.
    I am trying to do same thing. Could you please tell me what version of TWRP you used, as well as the versions of KK and GAPPs? Thanks
    ASUS MeMO Pad Smart (10") ME301T
    Lollypop (5.1.1) , TWRP (2.8.7.2)

ASUS TF-101 16GB Transformer/Dock
    Lollypop (5.1.0 v22), TWRP (2.8.1.1)

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Hi Sandtoman, can you tell me what mit's app development environment is like? Welcome to the forum!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links