Thread: Assistance choosing ROM, Root method, guides

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times

Question Assistance choosing ROM, Root method, guides

Hey, I am new to these forums, and new to the whole rooting 'thing'. Not sure how many posts you get like these, everyone else seems to get an idea of what to do quicker than I am, hopefully I can get a bit of help.

I own an Asus Transformer TF101 with Dock (B70) on Android 4.0.3 build 9.2.1.27. The tablet is still useable, but sometimes it runs very sluggish, and there is occasionally battery drainage. I have been looking at so many threads/tutorials, different ROMs, methods of rooting, ect and I think I have made things worse, having so many options I can choose from, and not knowing where to start. It is however great to see how helpful everyone is here and on other similar forums for rooting support.

I have yet to root my tablet, as I am still hoping Asus has not just swept this tablet under the rug, and release an official Jelly Bean update to fix all my current issues. If there are no announcements or anything from asus over the next few weeks or so, then I guess I will have no choice but to root my tablet. I sure wont be throwing it aside and giving asus more of my money on a newer tablet just to get updates.

Before I start anything I want to be 100% sure of what I am doing, what I can do if things go wrong, and most importantly, how to get back to stock on my tf101. I do not have much luck when it comes to stuff like this from past experience (being impatient and rushing into things) :P, but in this case, I am in no rush so I can get it right first time, and follow tutorials/instructions.

I just need a bit of advice on the best options to go for, to make things as easy as possible. I am still trying to understand about the whole recovery/rooting thing, and if a ROM will work with 'x' or not. I don't even know if I am typing any sence, but basically I need to know what Root, rom, kernal?, recovery are compatible with each other and anything else that may be required.

Overall I just want better performance out of my tablet, and get away from the horrible laggy mess that it is at the moment. Once I know what I need, I can then read up on specific threads and focus on them tutorials, rather than every option out there not knowing if the next 'thing' I need is going to work with it or not.

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate your time. Unless the best way for me to do this is to just try it. If things dont look like they are going well, would ANY unrooting method work to get me back to stock, or would I have to use the original rooting method I used in the first place? Just I have seen so many different rooting tutorials all using different programs. Maybe Frederuco's Root Rom guide could be a good option?

Maybe from the way I have tried to word my situation above you think it may be best to leave rooting for now until I get a better understanding?

If there is anything I havnt made clear enough, or some information missing please ask!

Rob.

(Sorry for using 'thing' so much, being new to rooting I have not fully gathered all the terminology yet :P)

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    Frederuco's guide is a wonderful guide to follow and does work well. Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101

He has flashed a lot of different ROM's and gone back to stock a couple of times as well on his TF101. I would definitely encourage you to use TWRP instead of CWM as a recovery, it just seems to work better with the TF101 for some reason.

One thing that is important as well is to know a couple of terms....
    -Rooting is the process of gaining administrator rights to your device, when you root you will use a program called SuperUser or SuperSU to grant you this access which will allow you to modify any file on the tablet (which can be bad if you change the wrong thing )
    -ROM stands for Read Only Memory and is used to discribe the operating system (OS) on Android devices
    -Flashing is the process of installing a new operating system on your device.
    -Recoveries are the tools that allow you to flash new ROMs to your device
    -Kernel is the part of the OS that communicates directly with the hardware, kind of a middle man between you and your hardware and is responsible for things like overclocking the CPU or loading different modules that may be needed.

As for which kernel/recovery/ROM combo works, well that can be different on any device. Some find one kernel/ROM combo to work well and for others it won't work at all, just the nature of modern manufacturing processes. If you want a 4.2.2 ROM I would highly suggest teamEOS4, it is smooth, stable and kept up to date well. I just use the kernel that comes with the ROM but a lot of people are using the KAT kernel with it and have good results - ROM HERE OPTIONAL KERNEL HERE
    zAlbee and Rob1991 like this.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for a quick reply!

Looking at the guide to root by Frederuco, does that also allow unrooting?

I see here there is a way to flash back to stock, but I do not see anything about unrooting, unless that is it.

As for the ROM Page, first thing I see near the top is

"G-Apps Package
    Because this is an AOSP based rom Google Apps are not included in the base rom. To install Google Apps please flash the following package after installing the base rom:"

Does this just mean it has to be put on my micro sd card and done through the TWRP install button, along with the rom .zip?
    Last edited by Rob1991; 02-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    51 times
    Yes, when you flash back to stock on the 101 it is truly like when you got it. Frederuco's guides are VERY good. Have NO fear!
    Swipe and Rob1991 like this.
    iMac 21.5" 2011 12GB OSX 10.9.3, Asus V5-131 8GB Win7(dual booted with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), Acer Aspire One 2GB Windows 7(dual booted with Ubuntu 12.04), Asus 1015E 2GB Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    TF101 32GB JB 4.4 KatKiss-KitKat 31 KatApp 1.5.0 LMT 2.0 TWRP 2.7.1.2 Recovery

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    And yes, you wipe system/cache/delvik/factory reset (shouldn't touch your personal files) in twrp, then flash the rom, reboot, then flash the gapps, then the kernel wipe cache/delvik and boot into your new rom
    Rob1991 likes this.
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2221 times
    Moved to Development.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for moving thread to correct section.

Also thanks for the support so far, getting a good understand of what I need to do now. I do not plan to start this straight away, sods law I will Root and then the next day Asus finally announce an official JB release. Would be nice for them to take the time to say yes or no for JB for tf101 -.-

As for backing up before rooting, I am taking a note of what apps I use. To check my emails I use the app called 'Email' but I am unsure if its stock, or if it will be available when I root. I will most likely be going with Team EOS 4 like bfmetcalf suggested above. Not sure about going with the Kernal yet.

May have more questions soon as I think of them. =P

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2221 times
    You are welcome (re move)

I think porcine aeronautical incidents are more likely than an official Asus Jelly Bean update for the tf101, so I'd say if you want to go for it, then I doubt there is any merit in waiting - especially as you could always go back again if you wished to.

As far as email apps are concerned, there are plenty in the Play Store, so I wouldn't be concerned on that front.
    Rob1991 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Ah ok maybe I will just go for it this weekend then =P

Maybe if the app is backed up anyway I may be able to somehow restore it onto rooted tablet? It just got a really nice widget built in.

Keep thinking of other things that I may run in to after being rooted. Will I still be able to download apps, get auto updates from the google store?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    The email app that you are referring to is actually a stock Android app and will be there on any ROM you install even the widget. You will just need to set it back up. You will definitely be able to get updates from the google store as long as you flash the gapps package. The real difference between the ASUS ROM and custom ROM's is in the settings menu and the speed. Most custom ROM's will allow you to tweak a lot more settings than the ASUS ROM. I believe the only apps that you won't have is the mynet app, the asus backup tool and the wallpapers.
    Rob1991 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads