Thread: JB ROM performance

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

JB ROM performance

Realizing that a JB official release is not in the offing from Asus for the TF101, I am grudgingly considering transferring from the "I don't need to Root my device camp" to the "I need to root to get JB".

What I would like to know is what real world noticeable performance increases will be gained by flashing to a JB Rom? I am assuming gaming and such will be smoother, however will normal usage such as web browsing be smoother and quicker? I am looking for input from those that have. Also has anyone who has flashed to a JB ROM decided it was better on the last official release of ICS and wished they had not?

Thanks,

Michael

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Bama, have a read through this thread: Please advise me on the best OS for my TF101. ICS or Jellybean?

Some excerpts from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by scottporter View Post
    I found the last stock ICS ROM from Asus very stable if a little slow. It is still my standby- I can go back to it in a flash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    JB is faster and smoother. If you want a good solid ROM, check Team EOS 4
    Quote Originally Posted by uscjustice View Post
    I gave up waiting on an official update to my TF101 a few weeks ago. I read Frederuco's guide, rooted mine and went with the liquidsmooth 4.1.2 Rom. I could not be happier. It solved all the lag issues I had been having, and so much more. I have used cyanogenmod on other devices and was tempted to go that route again, but the liquidsmooth has better WiFi handling. I have also heard great things about team eos, but have not used them.

I would strongly recommend doing the root and Rom. It just makes sense. Other than adding a couple of Asus widgets back, I have done no fiddling with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Ok.. at last it seems to be in and working..

Its definately faster than ICS..

I'm pleased with how this all turned out.

If anyone reading this thread is interested in switching to this OS, but is having second thoughts about it, Dont worry too much.

If I can do it, you probably can.
    There are a few others who have PM'd me about it, and there are countless users at XDA who have switched over and love it.

One thing to caution you about.

Jellybean 4.1 still uses the Tablet UI. If you want this, be sure to pick a 4.1 ROM like LiquidSmooth, CM10.1 or ParanoidAndroid.
    Jellybean 4.2 uses the Phablet UI (pull down notifications and nav bar at the bottom) and has multi-user login. I highly recommend the TeamEOS4 version, and you can move the back/home/recent apps to left justify them. You cannot change the pulldown menus. About the only "bug" still left in the EOS 4 ROM is Bluetooth devices and timduru is working hard at getting that fixed as we speak.

If you decide to take the plunge, check out this: Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101
    Bama29 likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    I have EOS4 on my tab right now and cant imagine going back to ICS let alone stock. In my experiences custom roms are generally smoother than stock roms. Sometimes can be a bit buggier, but the 4.2.1 ROMs are getting pretty stable now. I dont game, but browsing does seem better to me as well as genrral flow between apps and within apps.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks guys. A lot of good info and impressions to look at. I need to read through it all to make sure I have a clue about what goes where and why.

Do folks normally go for the latest nightly or is there a list somewhere of the latest stable version?

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    The nightlies more or less fixes stuff.. I would flash the latest build

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

JB ROM performance

I am running TimDuru's latest preview (Pre-nightly) B145 with the dock battery patch. Although they are night lies, they are crazy stable IMO.

Once the next nightly is out that incorporates the B145 changes I will flash that.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Bama, I followed Frederuco's guide and am running the same B145 version of EOS4. Do it. I am never going back to stock. This ROM is crazy smooth and well well worth the root/flashing. It's also crazy easy to do. And with people like Frederuco to help, how can you go wrong. I also found I have no need for AutoAirplane Mode and the Dual Batter Widget. See the last few posts in Frederucos guide for the explination from him.

In short (kinda), go for the Team EOS4 ROM.
    Frederuco likes this.
    ASUS Transformer TF101 32GB and Dock w/Team EOS 4 JB 4.2

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: JB ROM performance

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I am running TimDuru's latest preview (Pre-nightly) B145 with the dock battery patch. Although they are night lies, they are crazy stable IMO.

Once the next nightly is out that incorporates the B145 changes I will flash that.
    I've been running timduru's releases for the past month and am on xda now more then here. I've seen you posting in his thread also. He does amazing work. I also now run LMT (nav overlay) ... it's a completely awesome exerience on the tf101. If you have any interest in LMT let me know and i will find/post the link.
    Frederuco likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WVUTampaAlum View Post
    I've been running timduru's releases for the past month and am on xda now more then here. I've seen you posting in his thread also. He does amazing work. I also now run LMT (nav overlay) ... it's a completely awesome exerience on the tf101. If you have any interest in LMT let me know and i will find/post the link.
    Yes, LMT is pretty nice.

Here is a thread on it for anyone who is interested: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-required.html
    WVUTampaAlum likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Well I followed Frederuco's excellent Guide to Root and Rom. I have to say that TWRP is one slick and easy to use recovery! Being a cautious type and a Newby at the whole ROM thing, I decided to go with the EOS4 93 Nightly, instead of the latest preview. I was very surprised at how quickly the whole thing seemed to go. It looks like a brand new tablet and I am getting ready to dive in and explore whats there.

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in with advice and help...

Michael
    scottporter and Frederuco like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links