Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Decided to finally Root but no method works with my build.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Decided to finally Root but no method works with my build.

I got the Transformer tf101 not long after it came out, never rooted it, always kept everything on it updated. It's now running on the 4.0.3 Android with the build #: IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.24-20120503.
    I decided to root it finally but I'm learning that there isn't a rooting option available yet for this recent build......or is there? Any solid way for me to accomplish this on my tablet as is?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum.

A search for "root 9.2.1.24" should have found this is working for root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1622628

Use Method 3

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

A search for "root 9.2.1.24" should have found this is working for root: Wolf's ultimate flash and downgrade guide (NO ROOT NEEDED) (root opportunity for .21) - xda-developers

Use Method 3
    So they do not have a recoveryblob for my build version and what is ADB shell?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok i found that ADB is a program included in the SDk kit, so I had to donwload Java SE then SDK kit but what about the recoveryblob?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MengusDew View Post
    So they do not have a recoveryblob for my build version and what is ADB shell?
    There is currently no exploit method known that can root the .24 ICS build-- the one you have now. In short? The .21 and the .24 are not rootable, if you haven't rooted already or installed CWM.

So basically, you downgrade to an earlier version of ICS, version .17, and then apply the root method that works for that.

Next, you'll need RootKeeper (google play market) app, and run it-- it creates a backup of your root-- do that.

Next, run RootKeeper again, and use it's "temporary unroot" engine.

Next, re-apply the .24 patch, either by rebooting and letting your tablet look (Settings-->about--> check for updates) or by manually downloading the .24 from Asus and copying that over to your tablet & rebooting (unzip it first).

Finally re-run RootKeeper and select "restore root from backup"

Thats the short version-- Wolf's page (the link) has very, very detailed instructions for all of this. I cannot stress enough, it's a good idea to read that first.

ADB is Android Debug Bridge-- it's an engine you run on your PC/Mac that lets you access the terminal (basically a DOS-like command shell) on your tranformer, using your PC/Mac. You'll need to download it-- links on Wolf's page.

While you are dowloading stuff? I highly recommend downloading and installing the Asus Sync package too-- it installs drivers you are going to need during the root process-- may as well do that first.

Finally, you'll need to activate the USB DEBUG on your tablet-- it's in settings>>development (or at least, it used to be there-- look around in the settings, you'll find it)
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    There is currently no exploit method known that can root the .24 ICS build-- the one you have now. In short? The .21 and the .24 are not rootable, if you haven't rooted already or installed CWM.

So basically, you downgrade to an earlier version of ICS, version .17, and then apply the root method that works for that.

Next, you'll need RootKeeper (google play market) app, and run it-- it creates a backup of your root-- do that.

Next, run RootKeeper again, and use it's "temporary unroot" engine.

Next, re-apply the .24 patch, either by rebooting and letting your tablet look (Settings-->about--> check for updates) or by manually downloading the .24 from Asus and copying that over to your tablet & rebooting (unzip it first).

Finally re-run RootKeeper and select "restore root from backup"

Thats the short version-- Wolf's page (the link) has very, very detailed instructions for all of this. I cannot stress enough, it's a good idea to read that first.

ADB is Android Debug Bridge-- it's an engine you run on your PC/Mac that lets you access the terminal (basically a DOS-like command shell) on your tranformer, using your PC/Mac. You'll need to download it-- links on Wolf's page.

While you are dowloading stuff? I highly recommend downloading and installing the Asus Sync package too-- it installs drivers you are going to need during the root process-- may as well do that first.

Finally, you'll need to activate the USB DEBUG on your tablet-- it's in settings>>development (or at least, it used to be there-- look around in the settings, you'll find it)

Thank you very much, but I now have 2 more questions:
    1) having trouble installing SDK (for the ADB) on my computer. Im running windows 7 64 bit, installed the latest JDK( JDK 7u4 windows installer). Still when I try to install the SDK it keeps saying something about not finding the java.exe in the widows/system32 folder. I checked, and the file is there. It said something about making a environment variable for JAVA_HOME but I don't know what I'm doing on that end. Uninstalled JDK and tried the previous version still same thing when installing SDK. WTF?
    2) how do I downgrade my build version on my tablet?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Ok i found that ADB is a program included in the SDk kit, so I had to donwload Java SE then SDK kit but what about the recoveryblob?
    The recoveryblob is attached to the first post of that XDA thread. It's under "RECOVERYBLOBs (only for TF101)" and contains Rogue XM recovery.

You are not looking for a blob with your current version, the blob you want to download is the one you will be flashing onto your tablet.

In the case of Method 2 (downgrade), you pick whichever version firmware blob you want to downgrade to. You would downgrade to a version that is rootable with an older exploit, hence only old ones are listed.

In the case of Method 3, you just get the recoveryblob, which is not a firmware at all -- it is Rogue XM (CWM-based) recovery. Once you flash recovery, you can root very easily. No downgrade is necessary with this method. You won't even lose any data.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Not true. Downgrade is not necessary, unless you want to.
    Last edited by zAlbee; 05-29-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    1) having trouble installing SDK (for the ADB) on my computer. Im running windows 7 64 bit, installed the latest JDK( JDK 7u4 windows installer). Still when I try to install the SDK it keeps saying something about not finding the java.exe in the widows/system32 folder. I checked, and the file is there. It said something about making a environment variable for JAVA_HOME but I don't know what I'm doing on that end. Uninstalled JDK and tried the previous version still same thing when installing SDK. WTF?
    It sounds like you need to update Java on your machine-- google java console.

2) how do I downgrade my build version on my tablet?
    This thread explains it very well-- and you don't need root to start. Pay careful attention to the warnings, and follow the step-by-step carefully-- omit nothing no matter how trivial-seeming.

Wolf's ultimate flash and downgrade guide (NO ROOT NEEDED) (root opportunity for .21)
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    The recoveryblob is ...

Not true. Downgrade is not necessary, unless you want to.
    Thanks. That's new information I did not have before. Thanks for the update.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Try installing JRE instead of JDK. Actually you can have both, but JDK is mainly for Java developers. You'll need JRE to actually run java programs.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links