Thread: How to root .21

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

How to root .21

I'm a noob when it comes to rooting and I finally decided I want to root so I can flash roms like gnufabio's that speed up your system. Conveniently I also updated to .21 before I decided this. Looking around I am finding things like Razorclaw don't work anymore. I did see some people saying I could root if I had B60 or below and I do. Is there a way to do this or do I have to wait till more exploits come out?

Last thing: If I root and I have problems with my device (hardware problems not related to root) and I need to RMA, is it easy to remove the root so Asus will service it?

And one more thing: What is the process exactly for a beginner to root and do the basic stuff? Is it root-> install CWM -> flash roms from there? Is there any tutorials on this or any insights?

Thanks a lot.
    *Rooted* Transformer Pad TF101 and Nexus 7

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Yes, .21 is rootable now, doesn't seem to matter which revision of TF101.

We were just discussing this in the thread below... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ootable-3.html

Go here for the guide: Wolf's ultimate flash and downgrade guide (NO ROOT NEEDED) (root opportunity for .21) - xda-developers

I used Method 3, which flashes a CWM-based recovery first and then roots.

For help with using ADB, I used this: [GUIDE] Getting ADB Setup; An Idiots' proof guide on getting ADB working for Rooting! - xda-developers
    Magissia likes this.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    OK...I have to ask a question...

Why would anyone, especially a "noobie" want to root their tablet?

This risk potential to mess up the tablet is significant, amplified more by doing it as a novice and also with the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware being updated pretty often these days.

Just curious.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    OK...I have to ask a question...

Why would anyone, especially a "noobie" want to root their tablet?

This risk potential to mess up the tablet is significant, amplified more by doing it as a novice and also with the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware being updated pretty often these days.

Just curious.
    The other thing, WHY do you want to root your tablet. Rooting most Android devices, the number 1 reason is to be able to do backups with Titanium Backup, and also to enable other things (tethering) that are blocked by the carrier.

Since ASUS includes App Backup, and there are very few 3G tablets that have something blocked by the carrier.

If you want to do something, be sure you know the risks. I rooted on HC to overclock (which was well worth it IMO) and to change the keyboard layout a bit. Now I am running a cornerstone ROM to allow me to run 3 apps at once.

Please, do not root your tablet because it is what all of the cool nerds do.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    I am a nerd myself, and I have jailbroken iOS devices many times, am working on building android app, and consider myself to be quite good with tech. I said I am a noob at rooting just because I have never done it, but my main reasoning is a lot of custom roms that speed up the os and some of them also fixed a bunch of the problems I am having. Cornerstone was also another thing I was looking into. I have reasons why I want to root, this will be the first root for me on android though.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    Yes, .21 is rootable now, doesn't seem to matter which revision of TF101.

We were just discussing this in the thread below... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ootable-3.html

Go here for the guide: Wolf's ultimate flash and downgrade guide (NO ROOT NEEDED) (root opportunity for .21) - xda-developers

I used Method 3, which flashes a CWM-based recovery first and then roots.

For help with using ADB, I used this: [GUIDE] Getting ADB Setup; An Idiots' proof guide on getting ADB working for Rooting! - xda-developers
    I saw this but I was a bit worried by the first few words of the thread that it was experimental for unrooted devices and very risky. I have looked into RazerClaw or whatever the name is and it seemed a lot easier and less room to mess up.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    RazorClaw doesn't work with .21 firmware.

Of course it is experimental, the method is only 1 week new. I myself read through about the first 100 posts in that thread before deciding whether it was safe or not. The only caveats (potential bricking!) seem to be Transformer Prime with unlocked bootloader can NOT use Method 2, and any Transformer Prime can NOT use method 3 at all. For original Transformer TF101, all reports I saw were successful.

For least risk, look into Method 3, which does not require a firmware downgrade (in fact, it does not touch your ROM at all), so is actually safer, faster, and easier than Method 2 (which is downgrade to .17, then root, then upgrade to .21). It is also the thread author's recommended method.

DISCLAIMER (for noobs):
    Following that guide is not as easy as "one-click" solutions. So if using ADB shell looks too hard, or if you've never used a UNIX shell before, or if you are just bad at following instructions carefully, then I DO NOT recommend you try this. I am not responsible, etc.

@OP[NyanCat] You should pretty informed, so I think you'll be fine.
    Last edited by zAlbee; 05-06-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Add disclaimer
    NyanCat likes this.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can confirm that Wolfs method 3 worked for me on a .21 B70 TF101.

No problems at all ))

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Same here, method 3 was easy and smooth!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Thanks for the reply guys. Couple of questions:

1) Is the only file I need to download for the 3rd method the recoveryblob file? I see no mention in the third method of the blobs.

2) After doing the third method(not to the rooting step) what has happened? Is my TF just downgraded at this point? How do I specify what FW to downgrade to if I dont download any firmware recovery blobs (question 1)

3) On the third method under the rooting step it says "Select 'Install from zip file' and then select the file on desired location internal or external." What file do I select? What does it mean "on desired location"?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links