Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

Screen protector, necessary?

Hi all.

I have wasted 6 screen protectors now because I have been unable to install them. I have tried leaving the shower to get dust out of the room but it doesn't work for long and dust is back sat on the screen. Where are you supposed to find a 'clean' enviroment otherwise?

Anyway, are they really necessary considering only people with a lot of patience could ever get one installed correctly?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Necessary??? Not really. I call them cheap insurance myself. And yes it does require alot of patience to install on a big screen.

Sent from my Droid X

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    On a phone i can see but for me, my tablet never gets used outside or goes somewhere it can get scratched. A case is enough for me.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackers View Post
    Anyway, are they really necessary considering only people with a lot of patience could ever get one installed correctly?
    Not really, not even on phones for the most part. my first smart phone(iPhone) I always kept a cover and screen protector, but all either one did is collect lent or air bubbles. Since then, most devices come with "Scratch resistant glass", like the one used on the Transformer. If you take it out of the house, A case might be a good investment, but not a screen protector.
    Stephen

For a better experience use Open Source Software.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Using a screen protector is like using a condom. Protection but less feel.

Personally, I don't think that you need a screen protector with gorilla glass (unless of course, you're very abusive with you unit).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I also went without the screen protector. I have been carrying an Epic 4G around for 8-9 months. It goes in my pocket, tossed in the car, dropped and otherwise generally abused. The screen has taken the abuse beautifully. I don't see a situation where my TF will be faced with anywhere near the abuse my phone takes.

The saleschick insisted that screen protectors were ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (at $25/per). I declined 2-3 times before she told me I would be sorry. I held my phone out at shoulder height and dropped it screen down on the tile floor. No scratches. She finally stopped trying to sell me on them.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Calebz, Good thing you didn't drop an iPhone like that! The screen would have shattered! I just did that the other day out walking my Basset Hound. Granted it fell onto concrete but only out of my pocket about a foot and a half as I was stooping down to scoop up my dog's business. And the gall of the Apple store to charge $200 to replace the screen. Thankfully, I found an independent repair that did it for $49.99.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackers View Post
    Hi all.

I have wasted 6 screen protectors now because I have been unable to install them. I have tried leaving the shower to get dust out of the room but it doesn't work for long and dust is back sat on the screen. Where are you supposed to find a 'clean' enviroment otherwise?

Well depends on what could happen. As someone else replied its cheap insurance for something that could possibly happen. Its kind of like renters insurance, the chances of most people getting burglarized it almost next to nothing, but for 20 bucks a month its worth it.

I bought the skinomi one, that comes with the spray to install correctly, I did it in the garage where there is somewhat dirty environment and it installed perfectly. I think that is one of the best screen protector applications out there. If it was not for that liquid I would not even attempt to install one. The screen is just way too large to wing it without the extra help.
    Transformer, iPad 2, Asus Netbook
    Mac Pro, iPhone 4, Mac Mini
    Custom Built PC (AMD)
    Hp TouchPad , Vizio Tablet
    HTC HD2 Cynogenmod, Nabi Tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the replies. My case covers the screen when I'm not using it and I can't see (fingers crossed) I am going to scratch it with my fingers! I'll look after it .

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    Calebz, Good thing you didn't drop an iPhone like that! The screen would have shattered! I just did that the other day out walking my Basset Hound. Granted it fell onto concrete but only out of my pocket about a foot and a half as I was stooping down to scoop up my dog's business. And the gall of the Apple store to charge $200 to replace the screen. Thankfully, I found an independent repair that did it for $49.99.
    The gorilla glass was a big part of why I bought the Galaxy S / Epic 4g. I am rough as hell on my phones. It is important that my devices can stand up to my use without immediately self destructing. Reason number 576496592874620 I wouldn't buy an iPhone.

PS I am going to Sacramento soo for work. How's the weather down there?
    Last edited by Calebz; 07-26-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links