Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dock and battery usage

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Dock and battery usage

Hello all you battery usage experts,

If the docking station recharges the tablet every time you dock it, does this not reduce the life of the battery in the long term? For example, if I use the tablet for an hour, tablet goes from 100% to 90%, dock it, rinse and repeat, would this constant recharging hurt the battery?

Thanks!!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It should not. Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer (LiIon, LiPo) supposedly do not have the memory issues that the NiCd had and, to a lesser extent, the NiMH. I have seen some recommendations that LiIon and LiPo batteries prefer to be regularly topped off as opposed to full drain/charge cycles. If, however, they don't have memories, I don't understand what difference topping versus draining makes.
    jojobou likes this.
    ‘‘Death is as light as a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain."
    -al'Lan Mandragoran
    If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    “Now we can look forward to two glorious years of hyper-partisan, acrimonious gridlock—Washington's most moral and productive state.” 11/3/10 — David Harsanyi

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    It SHOULD not, but yes, even LiIon and LiPo batteries suffer from this. Although not to such a greater extent. I completely drain my stuff at least a few times a month. Used to do it weekly but just took too long. As an IT Technician, I see this kind of stuff all the time. I have had my LiIon battery in my laptop for 4 years now, with very minimal degredation in holding a charge. I have seen people with laptops for 1 year who's battery are completely shot. Being an IT Tech, a dedicated one at that, I am pretty much ALWAYS on my laptop. So usage is definitely a factor as I was discharging the battery and recharging. Not leaving it plugged in overnight, etc.

Most people who don't know any better don't want to be without battery or want the computer readily charged when going to use it. So they leave it plugged in all the time, or just never let it discharge.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hmm, that would mean that docking the tablet often is not good for the tablet's battery. Unfortunately this is what I'm most likely to do (dock and undock often).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    So far I've been charging it at night and running it for 10-15 hours during the day. I'm not sure if 6-8 hours on the charger a night is a bad thing or not but it seems to be my current pattern.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Well docking and undocking is fine. It's if you never let it discharge that's a problem. I'm not saying let it completely die, but at least let it exercise all the cells. Just like our bodies, the other cells will get flabby if you don't work em out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    So, once a week (let's say Sundays when I need the keyboard less) letting the tablet drain would be good practice then?

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I would suggest once every 2 weeks, but if that is the schedule you need then go for it. If it would be too hard for you to remember, you can always set up a calendar notification to remind you ever 2 weeks or so. Discharging it once a week might be a little troublesome after a while just because you have to sit there with it and make sure its on.

You want to flex the batteries cell's, but you don't want to over exert them. I did it weekly on my laptop because it was a 9 cell battery. It had a lot more to discharge. The transformer battery isn't that large, so it doesn't need it so much. The best thing you can do is just not to leave it plugged in all night. Thats the most important thing of all. Discharging is just supplementary.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    I would suggest once every 2 weeks, but if that is the schedule you need then go for it. If it would be too hard for you to remember, you can always set up a calendar notification to remind you ever 2 weeks or so. Discharging it once a week might be a little troublesome after a while just because you have to sit there with it and make sure its on.

You want to flex the batteries cell's, but you don't want to over exert them. I did it weekly on my laptop because it was a 9 cell battery. It had a lot more to discharge. The transformer battery isn't that large, so it doesn't need it so much. The best thing you can do is just not to leave it plugged in all night. Thats the most important thing of all. Discharging is just supplementary.
    Indeed there are many misconceptions about charge discharges for LiIon batteries. I do not know if you have noticed this but, if you have your TF plugged in, I have not reached 100%, only after pulling away from the wall charger, do I see 100%. Manufactures do not want you to over charge. @ Moondoggie, prolonged charges after complete discharge heats up the battery, doesn't heat decreases the longevity of the battery, so letting it cool at 50% and recharging it better or does not matter? :S Thanks.
    -- TK

'Never outshine your master' - Machiavelli
    ASUS TF101- 16GB +32GB mSD
    BK6xx
    OS 3.2
    Kernel - 2.6.36.3

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Androbot View Post
    Indeed there are many misconceptions about charge discharges for LiIon batteries. I do not know if you have noticed this but, if you have your TF plugged in, I have not reached 100%, only after pulling away from the wall charger, do I see 100%. Manufactures do not want you to over charge. @ Moondoggie, prolonged charges after complete discharge heats up the battery, doesn't heat decreases the longevity of the battery, so letting it cool at 50% and recharging it better or does not matter? :S Thanks.
    Whenever my devices get fully discharge, I let them recharge while the device is off. This is so that the heat from the device itself does not add to the heat already created by the battery. The device and battery are designed to accept a certain amount of power at a time. Typically this is a physical limitation, usually by making the bus a certain size with resistors along the way. Your biggest resistor would be at the point where the power comes in, with smaller resistors along the way that allow for refined power to be let through.

The terminology is indeed different, but I'm trying to make it simple, and the above is as simple as I can get it. Yes, heat does do bad things to batteries, but as with anything in life, moderation is key. If I CAN'T have the device off (such as my phone, since its my alarm), then I don't use it while its charging.

The only device I leave plugged in and don't trickle charge or anything is my phone battery, but thats because I do just about everything on it. To alleviate this, I purchased a secondary battery that I swap out, and also purchased a wall charger that charges the battery even when its not in the phone. The TF can't do this obviously, so more care is to be taken with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links