Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: caseen and rooCASE Asus Transformer Genuine Leather Cases Full Reviews (Comparison)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

caseen and rooCASE Asus Transformer Genuine Leather Cases Full Reviews (Comparison)

I pre-ordered the rooCASE from Amazon (Amazon.com: rooCASE Multi-Angle (Red) Leather Folio Case Cover for Asus Eee Pad Transformer 10.1-Inch TF101 Android Tablet Wi-Fi: Electronics, like many of you, in hopes of getting the transformer tablet protected as my Asus Transformer came. Unfortunately, my case didn't come all that quickly, so I ordered another case from caseen (seen here: caseen Asus Eee Pad Transformer Black Genuine Leather Folio Case w/ Convertible Multi Stand). I figure I'd write a review and comparison on these very similar Asus Transformer cases!

First a picture of them both front and back:
    roocaseen1.jpg
    roocaseen2.jpg

Both cases are genuine leather, which I like, and are the stitching is very well done. In fact both leathers are pretty much the same color, texture, and feel. Both cases are very well constructed. The immediate differences are that the mechanisms to stand up the case are different. The rooCASE folds and uses a velcro based system to stand and hold the device at different angles. This allows the case to adjust at multiple angles. The caseen cases uses a leather notch on the back side (seen above) in which the front of the case clips into. However, this only allows the caseen case to mount in 2 different angles. Both have their advantages.

The rooCASE standing:
    roostand2.jpgroostand.jpg

The rooCASE velcro point:
    roovelcro.jpg

Only 5 pictures allowed... so see reply for continuance...
    Last edited by subfocus; 07-15-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Xyphoid likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    And here is the caseen notching point on the back, and 2 stand configurations:
    caseenbacknotch.jpgcaseenstand1.jpgcaseenstand2.jpg

The rooCASE's velcro system allows the case to stand at different configurations, but due to its design the rooCASE ended up thickening the case quite a bit (around 2 mm!) in order to add this function. This is due to the fact that another layer of material was added. This also ended up making the rooCASE quite heavier than the caseen case. I definitely like the slimness of caseen case better, also the caseen's 2 different stand options are quite good. I don't miss the adjustment of the rooCASE. I also feel there could have been a better solution than velcro. In order to accommodate the velcro stand solution, the rooCASE's inner lining is more of a carpet material. The caseen's inner lining is a sueded cotton material that is soft to the touch.

rooCASE's carpet inner lining:
    rooin.jpg

caseen's sueded inner lining:
    casein.jpg
    Last edited by subfocus; 07-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You can compare the thickness of the two cases here. even with the TF inside the caseen case, the rooCASE comes out about 2mm thicker than the caseen case:
    thicknesscompare.jpg

I wish I had a scale, but I do feel a considerable weight difference with the transformer inside the rooCASE.

The caseen case also includes a pen clip holder, which I found nifty (Updated version below):
    caseen pen clip.jpg

Update: It looks like they have elongated the pen's clip holder with a new design to accommodate the caseen stylus or thicker pens! They call it Revision 2. It looks like:

Both cases use the same mounting style to put the case in, and both reveal all the Asus TF's connections:
    insidecompare.jpg

Detailed picture of the grain leather qualities, and logo stamps on the cases:
    caseenstamp.jpgroostamp.jpg

Final thoughts and comparison:

I do like the simple design and high quality genuine leather material approach from both companies here. The quality of the leathers in both cases are essentially the same, and are of high quality. I do think the caseen design is better because it is lighter in weight, and less thick than the rooCASE. The rooCASE is great for those who really need the multi-angle stand adjustment (but like I said I'm getting by fine with caseen's 2 angle and flip design). I believe the rooCASE's design could have used one less layer of material, and found a solution to not using velcro. The inner lining of the caseen seems a little safer (due to its sueded soft texture) on the screen in my opinion. For me, the caseen has definite design advantages, and utility.

I think I will keep both cases though, and not return the rooCASE. Sorry for the dark pictures! (Bad lighting!)

UPDATE: 7/14/2011:

Thanks for the great comments guys!

I was able to use the scale at work today...

rooCASE = 13.9 OZ.
    caseen = 8.2 OZ.

About a 5 ounce difference! I knew there was an immediate weight difference just by holding them...

Also... I got a stylus from Targus the other day at Best Buy... the clip fits right into the caseen case's pen clip holder! =)
    Last edited by subfocus; 07-29-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: additonal weight details
    bmarkman likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the awesome and detailed review on 2 great Transformer cases. Quick question: do they both fit essentially the same around the bezel of the TF? The coverage around the bezel worries me a bit as I'm a thumb typed with thumbkeyboard (and no dock) so don't want something that is gonna impede my ability to type on the TF when its in my hands. Thanks for anymore info.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    38 times
    Very good review.

I was thinking about buying the rooCASE but after seen how thick it is I'm sticking to the original, dust attracting, uncomfortable feeling tf101 sleeve.
    Cost me 35 Euro, so I'm using it until it falls apart...
    subfocus likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    dddjames - They both are pretty much the same around the bezel of the TF. I don't have a problem typing on both cases.

Snipes - Thanks! I read about the original ASUS case. 35 Euro is a lot!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    38 times
    And it looks very cheap. The only plus is that it is very light and thin. Not much protection (just the thought that it has a sleeve seems to set my mind at ease :P)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well just ordered the rooCase slimfit via Amazon, set to be available on July 18. I really need it for a vacation that following weekend, so hopefully it leaves on time. I really want something thin and non obtrusive to the screen and the slimfit is the only one I've seen that uses the corner clip system rather than the bezel covering "glove" effect.

You really had me considering the Caseen though after this review and seeing on their site that it ships free and comes with a little mini stylus as well.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the review I just orderd the caseen one in black and getting a free mini stylus pen plus free shipping cant beat it and the price to me was pretty cheap for all leather compared to what i paid for my 7inch samsung galaxy tab case last December. How long did it take to recieve your order?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    is the one you ordered better than the caseen

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links