Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Car charger

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    It will work but slowly compared to a wall charger. It probably outputs at 5v rather than the 11v-15v it gets from the Asus charger.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have not tried it, but it will definitely NOT charge a Transformer.

I am rafting the Grand Canyon for 11 days of primitive camping, and I have been researching ways to charge it. Here's what I now know:

1. The Transformer factory charger outputs 15 volts DC (VDC) at the usb connector.

2. All standard usb-based chargers output 5 VDC. Double usb chargers have more amps, but no more volts.

3. The Transformer will not respond to less than about 11 VDC (no charge, no lightning bolt).

4. I made my own 12 VDC ("cigarette lighter") Transformer charger by cutting apart a standard usb cable and wiring the male end's red and black wires directly to a male "cigarette lighter" plug. I use it with a goal0 sherpa solar charger (very expensive), and it works. The sherpa has a 12 VDC output, and I measured it at 12.0 VDC. I am getting ready to make another charger of the same design but with a fuse, and will try it in a car. Car's 12 volt output gets up over 14 volts, so this should work...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PS

Best Buy has a general-purpose Dynex charger that lets you adjust the voltage and includes a 12 VDC car plug. I just got one, but will not be able to try it until June 28. Will let you know.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    22 times
    I have bought a car charger for USB 5V, 1A. I plan to test it in the next couple of days or so .

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've used a Duracell Pocket Inverter 175 to charge devices in my car for years. I've quickly charged cell phones and laptops. It should work fine for the tablet although I haven't needed a charge yet - the tablet with the docking keyboard never seems to run out of a charge!

Amazon.com: Duracell 813-0291-07 175 Watt DC to AC Pocket Power Source Inverter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The Pocket inverter is capable of powering most 120 V AC products that use 130W or less. For loads less than 130W use cigarette lighter. Handy for purposes other than charging tablet as for greater than 130W you can use the cable clips and hook directly to a car battery. It has a non-user replaceable 25 A fuse built-in to the inverter.

Features:
    USB Port
    AC Outlet
    DC cable port
    12 volt (lighter plug) cable
    12 volt battery cable clips
    Last edited by XFMR; 06-26-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Nonlinear

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the link looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFMR View Post
    I've used a Duracell Pocket Inverter 175 to charge devices in my car for years. I've quickly charged cell phones and laptops. It should work fine for the tablet although I haven't needed a charge yet - the tablet with the docking keyboard never seems to run out of a charge!

Amazon.com: Duracell 813-0291-07 175 Watt DC to AC Pocket Power Source Inverter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The Pocket inverter is capable of powering most 120 V AC products that use 130W or less. For loads less than 130W use cigarette lighter. Handy for purposes other than charging tablet as for greater than 130W you can use the cable clips and hook directly to a car battery. It has a non-user replaceable 25 A fuse built-in to the inverter.

Features:
    USB Port
    AC Outlet
    DC cable port
    12 volt (lighter plug) cable
    12 volt battery cable clips

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    22 times
    As expected I found that my TF101 can be charged from USB but it is VERY slow.
    The dock does not charge at all.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tom29928 View Post
    Best Buy has a general-purpose Dynex charger that lets you adjust the voltage and includes a 12 VDC car plug. I just got one, but will not be able to try it until June 28. Will let you know.
    I looked for this online and couldn't find it...could you give specifics for this device please? Thx
    Alright you primitive screw heads, listen up. See this? This... is my BOOM STICK!

HTC Inspire 4G - Stock
    Asus Transformer - Rooted - Prime 1.8.4

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got a dynex dx-ua "universal camera/camcorder power adapter". I just opened it, and it does NOT include a 12 VDC plug, just a 110 VAC wall plug that feeds 12 VDC to the dynex). Sorry for the error. I did set the dynex at 11 VDC and plugged in the Transformer (the dynex comes with many adapter plugs; one is a female usb). The Transformer was at 90% charge, and now 10 minutes later the Transformer is at 95%, so it seems to work with the dynex.

I am happy with my simple solution of cutting a usb male to female extension cable in half, and wiring the female half directly to a male 12 VDC plug (available many places).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links