Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atmel maXStylus compatible with TF101?

Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I just recently purchased my TF101 a couple weeks ago. I would like to start using the preloaded app SuperNote for school and other purposes, but I feel like when I start writing equations with my finger, it really slows me down. So I was looking into stylus's (or styli) and was coming across a couple of different capacitive touch screen fat tipped, crayon looking stylus's, and a couple of pens with a like a contact lens attached to it. Then accidentally I ran across the TP forums, and someone mentioning this Atmel maXStylus, and it seems like a winner, but my impression was that it would be compatible with the TF201 because of it's own Atmel touch screen as well. I know since the product isn't even out yet, no one may even know this answer, but will this be compatible with the TF101? Just from reading I assumed all the device needed was ICS and it would work. I hope this is the case because I would probably absolutely enjoy maXStylus.

Just to summarize Questions in case you don't feel like reading :
    1) Does the maXStylus need a special screen to pair with the stylus in order for operation?
    OR 2) Can it be used with any tablet device? With or without ICS? (Which they need to release for the TF already...)

Thanks for reading!

(Sorry if this is a repost, I couldn't find anything in the OG Transformer forums)

Edit: This is the stylus I'm talking about in case anyone's wondering and too lazy to Google it. Ahah
    Atmel maXStylus

Heres a Youtube Demonstration of the product

And the xdadeveloper forums is where I discovered it, Here
    Btw, does this ^^^ (above) count as promoting another site? I was just using it for informational purposes, just let me know if it is and I'll take it down.
    Last edited by DubOwner; 02-20-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Devices:
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 32 GB with Dock, not rooted
    HTC Evo 3D
    iTouch 3rd gen 32 GB
    iPad 2 Black 32 GB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome!

It looks like it would. Just about any capacitive stylus will work.

A lot of us have had very good results using the Adonit Jot stylus.

Here are some forum reviews...LINK

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Welcome!

He's not asking for a recommendation. If you actually read his post, he's already aware of disc style stylus.
    His question is whether Atmel maXStylus is compatible with TF101.
    The stylus does require Android 4.0 to function. So it's not just "any capacitive stylus".
    I am wondering about this as well Seems like an amazing stylus.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by horndroid View Post
    My bad. It does look pretty nice after looking in to it further.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Welcome!

Ah, I was looking at that too, but I've been reading inconsistent reviews about it all over the place, not just at the forums. Some are saying it works really well, and some say it doesn't. But thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by horndroid View Post
    He's not asking for a recommendation. If you actually read his post, he's already aware of disc style stylus.
    His question is whether Atmel maXStylus is compatible with TF101.
    The stylus does require Android 4.0 to function. So it's not just "any capacitive stylus".
    Yeah, I really hope it is compatible because what I've been seeing from it looks amazing. I hope we get a real answer soon, as well as a MSRP and a release date, or at least a more accurate one than stating Q1 of 2012. Haha
    Devices:
    HTC Evo 3D
    iTouch 3rd gen 32 GB
    iPad 2 Black 32 GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    horndroid, just came across an article from electronicsweekly . com that stated
    "The chip is installed in the stylus and works with touch screens using any of the firm's maXTouch E series touch controllers.

Devices with suitable screens require only a software update and no hardware changes."

The Transformer Prime has a maXTouch E series touch controller, but I don't know if the original Transformer does. However, the article mentioning that a "suitable" screen require only a software update, gives me a little hope. So let's hope that the TF101's screen is considered "suitable" and this "software update" is just ICS/Android 4.0 ... and maybe this is the reason why ICS for the TF101 was pushed back?.. haha highly doubt it though.
    Devices:
    HTC Evo 3D
    iTouch 3rd gen 32 GB
    iPad 2 Black 32 GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks like the stylus won't work with TF101s.

The touchscreen controller in TF101 is mXT1386 mXT1386- Atmel Corporation according to this guy's post at [DEV] Beware of the touchscreen - xda-developers
    It's clearly not one of the E series controllers Article - Atmel maXTouch E Series - Default

Sux. But I am most likely buying a new tablet before summer so I will make sure to get one that is compatible, which should be pretty much all new tablets.
    According to an article, the price tag will be $80. But for digitizer-like performance with 0.25mm accuracy and hardware level palm rejection, the price is worth it imo. Doesn't even seem that much when Jot Pro is $30 and Jot Touch will be like $60?
    Last edited by horndroid; 02-20-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No but wait, it said it is supposed to work with the e series, and the article says it should also work with "devices with suitable screens". Haha well find out when it comes out. But wow really 80$?! That really isn't bad at all considering I was expecting somewhere between that and 100. I hope it works with the TF101, because making a pen that works with only the e series screens, which I'm sure only a small.% of todays tablets have, would be pretty impractical from my perspective.
    Devices:
    HTC Evo 3D
    iTouch 3rd gen 32 GB
    iPad 2 Black 32 GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Pointed tip stylus for me. Never happen!

This new stylus looks interesting though it appears to have limitations such as…”The stylus does require Android 4.0 to function. So it's not just "any capacitive stylus,”…. just to name one. I was reading an interesting page on another stylus web site called Stylus-R-Us. You can Google them and they come right up. The page was called, “POINTED TIP STYLUS” and can be found half way down on the left where the links are.

I strongly recommend you read that page, as they bring up some very true and realistic points about any pointed tip stylus constantly tapping glass, as in a glass screen. One of the analogies they refer to is, take any ball point pen you have in your house, and walk to a window and hold it as you would a pen, then dash around the glass tapping it as if you were playing a game, touching letters or numbers or icons. Try that, and I think you will agree: that isn’t a nice feeling at all, nor is it a nice sound. And the very idea of repeatedly tapping the glass to activate icons or whatever, is surely something I want no part of. Then pretend you’re writing a note (on your glass window) and feel how there is little control over the glass, and how the tip wanders and slides all around. You must be kidding if you think that’s comfortable.

Granted, the person in the clip makes the writing look nice and easy, but not everyone is into note taking and drawing. The majority are into games, emails, messaging, texting, book reading, page/screen sliding, icon opening, etc., and I don t think this new stylus, is something that is going to tame all of that, and, as I said, to be tapping the glass as often as any touch screen user does with that tip, doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

That Stylus-R-Us company also had another page, two more in fact, I’ve never seen anywhere else, of which I feel is, as they expresses, seriously important as far as touch screen stylus. One page is called, MOST ACTIVATIONS ON YOUR DEVICE, and the other is called, SCREEN PROTECTORS. You read all three of these pages and I believe you will be highly educated on various aspects of a stylus and touch screen, like you could never be elsewhere.

For the record, I did buy that above mentioned companies Terminator and it is the finest stylus I have ever seen or tried in my life. It is expensive, and their web site is kind of different, but well worth it to me, after all of the reject Jots, Apoynos, Afaradays, and all the rubber tipped ones and all the others. Theirs beat them all by a mile, with no pressure and no skipping. Anyway, the prior mentioned pages made a believer out of me. I’ll never have a pointed tip stylus.

Oh, and one of you mentioned that this new MaxStylus was around 80 bucks. Please! The SRU ones I mentioned, are only 45 and they have some really great pen stylus with caps for 25, none of which use rubber tips and all with their same great tip.
    Last edited by Debbra; 09-06-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links