Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

bluetooth keyboard or keyboard dock?

After careful consideration I decided not to get the keyboard dock. It's expensive after all and I feel like I got it, I will start using it like a netbook all the time. I've come up with several reasons why I dont need the pros provided by the keyboard dock:

Battery Life: I expect to always be connected.
    Using the dock as a prop up: I will usually have a hard surface to work with, the only advantage of the dock would be if you want to type when the machines's or your lap or in bed.
    USB ports: External Storage + USB peripherals. I've using Splashtop remote to stream off my computer for video and photos and I would think the keyboard will destroy your need for peripherals unless you want a real mouse.
    Cost and Availability: The dock is kinda pricey and rare!

So instead I decided to get a little stand Amazon.com: Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Play Book: Electronics and a bluetooth keyboard.

But I have several concerns. I'm fairly proficient in the use of hotkeys and I'm just wondering if the Android Browser supports Ctrl-W, Ctrl-T and all those.

The other is whether or not the keyboard I'm playing to get actually will work. Does anyone if the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 (Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000: Electronics) will work with the eee pad transformer?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Keyboard shortcuts:

[INFO] TF101 Keyboard Dock - Complete Shortcut List - xda-developers

Thou you will only be able to use a minimal amount of them, seeing you dont have home, menu, search etc.

Ctrl+w/t works fine thou

Dont know if the BT keyboard will work, personally I would recommend the dock, imo its great value, even if you dont need the battery.
    With your option you have to carry around 3 different items,(and the bt keyboard is wider than the TF) with the dock it works as protection and keyboard in one nice package.
    Last edited by Wazkyr; 06-17-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    The Great Dane

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    11 times
    Agreed I have only had the dock for a couple of days, dont know how I managed before. Although typing lag in the browser with the dock seems very pronounced compared to the onscreen keyboard. I use thumb keyboard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i had the dock and returned it once i got a bluetooth keyboard. its not worth the money, at all. the lag is horrible, and you will never finish a complete sentence without hitting the touch pad, relocating your cursor. then the horrible crunching noise it makes when u try to dock it and your a fraction of a centimeter off. go burn 180 bucks, youll feel better.

whyd you buy the tab in the first place? to be a tablet or a netbook? i think you answered your own question.

this is the keyboard i have. its smaller / lighter and 0 lag. for less than half of the dock. Amazon.com: Scosche Flexible Bluetooth Keyboard: Cell Phones & Accessories

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by codustyle View Post
    i had the dock and returned it once i got a bluetooth keyboard. its not worth the money, at all. the lag is horrible, and you will never finish a complete sentence without hitting the touch pad, relocating your cursor. then the horrible crunching noise it makes when u try to dock it and your a fraction of a centimeter off. go burn 180 bucks, youll feel better.

whyd you buy the tab in the first place? to be a tablet or a netbook? i think you answered your own question.

this is the keyboard i have. its smaller / lighter and 0 lag. for less than half of the dock. Amazon.com: Scosche Flexible Bluetooth Keyboard: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Ill agree with the lag in the browser, thou its not to bad for me. Concerning the touchpad, its not the keyboards fault you don't turn it off with a simple click...
    I have had no problems with noise or bad quality when docking, maybe yours where malfunctioning.

Just looked at the prices. I paid 793$ (4200 DKK) for my 16GB with dock, the 16GB without dock costs 717$ (3800 DKK) that's only a 75$ difference. Cant buy the dock alone in denmark atm.
    So the dock is alot cheaper here, thou the tab is more expensive.
    Last edited by Wazkyr; 06-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    The Great Dane

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got the tablet it was something I could carry around for convenience, email and news and such. When I do type, I type pages, and I always hated netbook / laptop keyboards, I'd prefer a full sized one, thats my main reason for getting a bluetooth keyboard full sized one.

I have thought that the keyboard dock is nice since it does the screen protector thing as well... I'm bidding my time.

Thanks for the posts: Now a follow up question. Does the onscreen lag for the keyboard dock show up for the browser mainly or will it show up in gmail and polaris as well?

Thanks

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Only browser. Its related to the stock browser. Other browsers work fine.
    The Great Dane

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was wondering if I should buy the dock when it is more readily available. There are/were some concerns with lag, but only with the tablet typing in THIS forum has considerable lag. It has to do withthe stock browser, virtual keyboard and auto word completion.
    Maybe people shoud usethe dedicated Tapatalk app for dealing with this forum...

Anyways I just love this tablet and I do not doubt the dock will be added value for me :-)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've got both a Bluetooth keyboard (used it with Evo and iPod/iPad), and the dock.. and I use both, depending on the situation.. WHen the dock power is low, I undock, and save the battery of the Transformer and just use Bluetooth. Also, when I want people to think it's an iPad (I have the Asus case, so it looks like an iPad first gen), I'll use the bluetooth keyboard.

They both have their pluses and minuses.. I just like having the option of both..

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    to dig this thread out again:
    ImTravis, which bluetooth keyboard do you have? I am considering buying a cheap little keyboard off ebay like this one
    Wireless Mini Bluetooth Ultra Slim Keyboard For PC PS3 | eBay
    You think that will work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links