Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I do think that could work, however IMO using a bluetooth keyboard (or any keyboard) that is that small will be tough. The keys are not offset the way a traditional keyboard is so you will have to relearn to type. Also, it is pretty small, probably end up typing with one hand and holding it in the other.

One of my friends who has an iPad and the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard dislikes that they are not connected because it is a pain in the butt to use it with the keyboard unless you are sitting at a desk or table. With the keyboard dock, you get so much more than a keyboard although it does cost a bit more than this bluetooth keyboard. It is my opinion that the TF keyboard dock is worth its weight in gold to me, but that is just my thoughts.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You are probably right there. Probably should not waste dollars on something that won't work all that well in the end, but go the more expensive and after all probably mores satisfying way with the dock.
    Now, if just the price fell for the dock to like 100 bucks and I'd be sold.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    The pros of the dock is battery life, SD card and USB connections. And even though you might not see any use of them, then they sure are hard to be without when you are used to them. And getting more battery life instead of less is always nice. Consider how you can easily bring it somewhere else, connect it to a TV (if you got a mini HDMI to HDMI something for it), and watch a 3 hour HD movie through it, without having to worry about battery life. But you probably will have to worry about the movie being in the proper video format, but if you have the blueray movie, you can always just rip it yourself, to make certain its in mp4 format (with the standard codecs for it). If its compatible with youtube, then it will run smoothly on Tegra2.

SD cards, you can convert both micro and mini SD into an SD card, and it makes it easy to hot swap memory cards from cameras and such. Also getting files between the PC and the Transformer is really easy with the SD slot, since my computer has an SD slot built in as well, and so does all my laptops.

And most of all, the greatest reason to get the dock is that the keyboard is better than any bluetooth keyboard I have tried, except maybe the Apple keyboard, AND IT MIGHT NOT BE COMPATIBLE... I have a bluetooth mouse that connects fine to my Samsung Galaxy S, but wont work at all with my Transformer. I never expected that to be a problem. But since I can just connect a mouse to the USB, even a wireless mouse usually can be connected that way, then I guess it doesnt matter much. But it still annoys me a bit.

But the keys on the dock are much more compatible with the Eee Pad, I think you will be amazed how good it feels, and how much more sense it makes since the keyboard is specifically made for Android, showing what function the keys actually have on an android.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm feeling very pleased with myself. By the time I decided on the Transformer Amazon had it in stock then the keyboard the very next week. I got the Transformer on a Friday then pre-ordered the dock on Saturday for Tuesday delivery. Amazon price was $149 shipped. Got it on Monday and started using it then. Now it is sold out and the only ones I see are going for $180 + shipping.

The dock does add quite a bit of weight to the device. Total weight is almost 3 pounds and most of it hard metal corners. Compared to my iPad2 + bluetooth keyboard case, it's a beefy device. But it is far more natural to type with (I prefer chicklet to the rubbery bluetooth keyboard) and I love being able to use peripherals like mouse, external HDDs, etc. My iPad serves well as a consumption device but the Transformer feels like a work machine.

I hope the next version they come out with lightens the load of both tablet and dock. That and an OS upgrade to address the lag issues and I'll be happy. (Also if Skype video and Netflix would get their act together.)

My iPad has a lot more apps but the bluetooth keyboard solution never worked well. iPad2 keeps losing bluetooth sync and you have to reset your devices in Settings.

Edited to be helpful: I have the Arkon stand the OP talked about from Amazon. Works great for both devices. I use it at night to turn my iPad2 into a nightstand clock/sleep timer/music player. I also picked up this Case Crown messenger bag (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLB2T8) for carrying the duo around for travel. Lots of extra pockets means I can stow my external 1TB HDD, bluetooth keyboard, iPad2, Transformer with dock, stand and chargers. Even have extra pockets for cell phone, money, personal items.
    Last edited by RavenaS; 08-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That one looks like it should work.. I use the Freedom Pro Keyboard.. it's pretty awesome.. foldable, but nice size keyboard. I purchased that one to use with my HTC Evo 3D as well. It works with pretty much any bluetooth device (it uses both SPP and HID). Most are HID compatable only, which not all phones support.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    ImTravis, which bluetooth keyboard do you have? I am considering buying a cheap little keyboard off ebay like this one
    Wireless Mini Bluetooth Ultra Slim Keyboard For PC PS3 | eBay
    Jannor- Just curious, I can see the reason for a full-size bluetooth keyboard, but this is obviously a thumb keyboard, being too small to type with all your fingers! what is the advantage of this over the on-screen one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links