Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Blank screen, nothing shows up

Long information-filled post incoming!

Just registered because I need help on the issue. Dropped the Transformer Thursday morning, hadn't had any problems for some time (it got a dent on the edge and the volume button got kinda stuck, but I pushed it back with a thin plastic card). Well, until the next day in the morning. It was fine when the alarm ringed, but later when I went to use it, the screen didn't turn on. Just the back-light, which was clearly visible on the blank screen. Touch works since I can turn it off, and I can't backup my data due to not being able to type my PIN to unlock it without seeing the keypad (Silly me)
    And I'm on a kinda sticky situation because the store I bought it from doesn't do replacements after 48 hours, and ASUS doesn't have any support centers in Brazil, and I would probably be charged for breaking it anyway because of the dent on the metal edge (which is barely noticeable). There might be something loose in it, since yesterday I heard something plastic inside the Transformer (Is the screen connected to the motherboard by any cables?)

What do you guys advise? I'm not too worried about opening it and seeing if something isn't where it should be from general computer knowledge, even though I've never messed around with a mobile device and this could be a first-timer, or if I should try to wipe it and convince the store to give me a replacement which would be hard since the sneaky bastards didn't include their own warranty and instead told me to contact ASUS (And I really can't ship it to the US just for repair, it would be silly)
    PS: not even the boot screen shows up

Short version: the screen's not outputting any image, and I can't easily get repairs or even replace my transformer and buying a new one is way out of the question because of imported product taxes, advice?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Buy a Mini HDMI to HDMI cable and display the TF on another HDMI LCD to unlock and copy things from it

And yea, I remember seeing photos of the dismantling of one of these and it seems that the screen is connected via ribbon cables.... from the sound of it though, if it was working right after dropping it, I don't see how a cable could have come loose after that... worth a shot though
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a hard reset?

Press power and volume down buttons for 13-14 seconds.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Welcome to the forum,

Since you are saying you found the volume button to be stuck, it is also likely that the PWR/Sleep button is also stuck.

Are you sure it has free movement?

If the PWR button is stuck in the pushed in position and then if you push the volume button, your TF might have gone into what is known as APX mode. If the TF has gone into APX mode, the only way to get it back is to press the PWR button for a long time (may be 10 to 20 seconds). While in APX mode, the screen would remain blank and black.

So make sure the PWR button is freely moving properly so that when you think you have released the PWR button it indeed gets released rather than remaining in the pushed-in position.

If you suspect your Tablet is coming on but the screen itself has stopped working, then you may have better luck trying to connect a mini HDMI cable into the HDMI port on your tablet, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to a Samsung TV which has a HDMI input port and see if any image appears on the TV screen - make sure you have selected the proper input under your TV menu itself (using the TV Remote possibly) I am saying Samsung TV because some of the other TVs have problems with HDMI output coming out of TF - particularly if your TV is a Panasonic LCD TV then probably you are out of luck.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    Welcome to the forum,

Since you are saying you found the volume button to be stuck, it is also likely that the PWR/Sleep button is also stuck.

Are you sure it has free movement?

If the PWR button is stuck in the pushed in position and then if you push the volume button, your TF might have gone into what is known as APX mode. If the TF has gone into APX mode, the only way to get it back is to press the PWR button for a long time (may be 10 to 20 seconds). While in APX mode, the screen would remain blank and black.

So make sure the PWR button is freely moving properly so that when you think you have released the PWR button it indeed gets released rather than remaining in the pushed-in position.

If you suspect your Tablet is coming on but the screen itself has stopped working, then you may have better luck trying to connect a mini HDMI cable into the HDMI port on your tablet, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to a Samsung TV which has a HDMI input port and see if any image appears on the TV screen - make sure you have selected the proper input under your TV menu itself (using the TV Remote possibly) I am saying Samsung TV because some of the other TVs have problems with HDMI output coming out of TF - particularly if your TV is a Panasonic LCD TV then probably you are out of luck.
    I have checked if the power button worked fine right after I dropped it, and it still works since I can tap it and the backlight will go on/off as normally, and it's not booting into APX since I can turn it off by holding the power button for 2 seconds and tapping where the "OK" button would be, instead of having to hold for 10+ seconds for it to force-off. Will try using a mini-HDMI cable on my Samsung TV tomorrow, I'm 99% sure it will work just fine but if it doesn't I'll report back.
    16GB Transformer TF101 - Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (Rooted)
    Serial number: B80KASxxxxxx (Tablet), B80KASxxxxxx (Dock)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well quick update, I asked my dad (he's a lawyer) for help and he pretty much turned consumer laws to his favour and convinced the store manager to ship it to ASUS for repairs and if it isn't back in 30 days I get a brand new one. I'm kinda sad I didn't get the chance to open the TF yet, but thanks for the help!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links