Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Honeycomb seems to only mount as MTP, NOT USB Mass Storage?

Hello all. I've recently been trying to get my Transformer to play nice with Calibre, an excellent open source eBook management program. At least for the moment, there are problems - check this out... https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/786066

Apparently, Honeycomb uses Media Transfer Protocol to deal with USB connection, not USB Mass Storage like the 2.x branch of Android, which is easily detected. This needs a special driver and apparently has some benefits and limitations that differ from mass storage. It has thrown a pretty big wrench in my connectivity, especially on Linux.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Transformer to use USB Mass Storage mode to connect? Is this possible in Honeycomb 3.1? It appears those with Xoom are having the same problem. Anything else worth knowing about Media Transfer Protocol. Why the hell did Google think this was a good idea, to remove a universal, easily understood and implemented connectivity standard?

Where shall we go from here? Do we need to contact Asus? Google? Does anyone know about the ease of adding connectivity support MTP in a program, or adding USB Mass Storage mode to Honeycomb itself?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    I just plugged mine in, and it popped up as a USB mass storage device - both at home and at work. Every time. No MTP. No need to blame Google.

It's Windows Media Player that seems to intercept the connect and decide that it's an MTP device. At neither location do I have the latest WMP.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If that is the case, why would such a thing happen under Linux? When I plug mine in, I can browse to my Transformer, but its not in Mass Storage Mode. It doesn't mount as a standard drive, but as a storage volume inside what Windows thinks is a MP3 player or some such. - Post from the post I linked above...

" #7

I made some more investigation: it seems that Android Honeycomb devices only mount using something called Media Transfer Protocol... Windows does not see them as proper mass storage devices at all and it does require specific drivers for each device.

Under linux it seems it should be possible to emulate an usb device using a program called mtpfs, and manipulating device rules, as explained in this post regarding the Motorola XOOM:
    Mount Internal Storage in Ubuntu

I've yet to try this, however, reading the thread it seems to be a bit of an unreliable solution.

If as I guess bypassing this obstacle is impossible for now, maybe you could add some notes about this to spare other Honeycomb device users a lot of searching...
    "
    Last edited by Ellipsys; 05-29-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you figured out anything on this yet? I thought at one point, when my Eee was young, I could and did mount it as a USB type drive on my Ubuntu 10.04, but now that option seems to have "gone away!" This may have just been working on one of my Windows machines and I'm not remembering it right, but ... ???

In any event, have you solved this issue yet?

Thanks in advance!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Comes up as MTP on my W7 desktop
    TF101 16Gb
    HTC HD2 which tethers like a good 'un on that universally popular WM6.5

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Same here...

the bad thing about it is that musicbee won't properly sync with such a "castrated" storage. it will recognize it in its latest version yet produce a cryptic error message with every second file to be synced... thanx for help!!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi,

Firstly all the folks making helpful comments about "it works fine in Windows" are missing the point. The OP isn't using Windows he is using Linux. We know the tf links via USB to windows & mac systems OK.

Ok that's got that out of the way.

If you are using Linux then you will need to obtain the necessary MTP package from the repository associated with your version of Linux. If there isn't one available or you are not sure how to do this, then try updating whatever version of your type of Linux - Mint, Ubuntu, Gnome, Redhat, Linpus or whatever to the latest version & try again.

If not, then try posting for guidance on the support forum for your brand of Linux. There are so many flavours out there, that it is difficult to advise any further. Having said that, if you are only trying to get an easy way to copy stuf from your pc to your tf, then you could try a microsd card or dropbox.

EDIT
    Just seen the date of the OPs original post, so I guess the problem,has long been dealt with.
    Last edited by janner43; 12-18-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: realised date of original post!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi,

.........We know the tf links via USB to windows & mac systems OK.

Unfortunately the quote above is not always correct.

I am running with Windows XP and Calibre cannot "see" my Transformer. File Managers see it as "MTP" and not a component of "My Computer"

So perhaps the earlier suggestion that WMP "traps" the Transformer and stops it being seen as a conventional USB device is worth further examination.

Don

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I also have this problem with my new Transformer in Windows 7. It is mounted as MTP and not as MSC. I would much rather have it mount as MSC.
    Is there a way around this? A program or an app? Thanks,
    Ari

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm going to bump this with an answer to the MTP vs MSC question I found:

I am reprinting a post from the Xdev forums on why Google is using Media Transport Protocol (MTP) based storage instead of USB storage on Honeycomb (Android 3.0). This of course also pertains to the Xoom, which recently went on sale as the first Android 3.0 based tablet.

Forum user Gogol posed these questions:
    “-What is the breakdown of that 32GB Xoom internal memory (how many parition (sp), how much space for apps / files)?
    - Why Google is using MTP instead of USB file transfer on Honeycomb?”

He received the following response from a Google developer:
    “MTP is a big improvement over USB mass storage — for devices with lots of internal memory, a manufacturer no longer needs to come up with some hard partition between the USB mass storage and internal storage. Instead, they are all in one partition, with MTP providing access to the directory of media files that would normally be available through USB mass storage. This means there is no longer a need for apps on SD card for such devices, because what used to be the ‘internal SD card’ is in the same partition as where applications are stored. The storage on your device can be used for either applications or media, depending on what you want to put on it. You aren’t stuck with how much space the manufacturer decided to leave for the two areas.

Oh also this means that the media storage doesn’t need to be unmounted from Android when it is being access through the PC.“

So now we know why: simplification, as well as untying the OS partition from user storage partitions, which is more convienient and more flexible.

A snippet also from Wiki about MTP:
    “A main reason for using MTP rather than for example the USB mass-storage device class (MSC) is that the latter operates at the granularity of a mass storage device block (usually in practice, a FAT block), rather than at the logical file level. In other words, the USB mass storage class is designed to give a host computer undifferentiated access to bulk mass storage, such as compact flash, rather than to a file system, which might be safely shared with the target device (except for specific files which the host might be modifying/accessing). In practice, therefore, when a USB host computer has mounted an MSC partition, it assumes absolute control of the storage, which then may not be safely modified by the device without risk of data corruption until the host computer has severed the connection.“
    Source

I was trying to connect my phone to my TF for media sharing via USB but ran into this problem. Seems like it won't be solved any time soon :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links