Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times

TF101 stuck in clockworkmod recovery mode

My FT101G Transformer was going well. I was advised of an update which I tried to do but the procedure was aborted because of signature verification problem. Now the device will only boot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. I've tried restoring to an earlier backup but it still only boots into CWM boot screen. Any advice appreciated.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    If you are using stock firmware and have CWM installed, never, ever perform an over the air update. It will cause major problems...

As for fixing it, here is a thread that should help...LINKY

As a side note, why do you have CWM installed?
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your input. I'll try the fix when I get time in the next day or so.

I have CWM because I wanted a complete backup\restore option for the tablet and understood I needed to root the device to achieve this. After trying unsuccessfully several methods of rooting I was finally able to root using PERI which also installed CWM. Then when I needed a restore for real CWM let me down. Is there a more reliable way of getting a complete backup\restore?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Honestly. I have all my documents and photos stored on dropbox. I have all of my music on play music and all my videos are on my microSD and desktop computer. I have CWM and a custom ROM and have found it much easier to just start fresh and put everything back manually. I have never used the CWM backup or any other type of OS backup on Android because I can be clean to where I want in an hour or so while also weeding out stuff that I don't need in the process, much cleaner in my opinion. The only other tool I know of other than the nandroid backup in CWM is titanium backup on the play store, I think it will back almost everything up, but as said above, I haven't ever used it.
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much bfmetcalf for your advice. I've now sorted out my problem, thanks mainly for the steer you gave me in the first post, modified slightly by comment from Mr Mike 19597 in this forum http://www.transformerforums.com/for...0-windows.html.

Also thanks for explaining how you operate without backups/restores. I'm still experimenting with this touch technology having only used a desktop before where I regularly clone my hard drive. A couple of points if you can spare the time. Are you saying that I should not perform updates to the firmware? Secondly can you steer me to a site that explains a custom ROM and how to put it back manually.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    If you go to the xda-developer forum they have a lot of custom time. I personally love the megatron rom with goevors(?) Kernel, absolutely flawless for me I am running as it does ota updates and has some great features. Cyanogenmod9 is another that is wonderful, but megatron is based on it and has all the features and then some. If you have cwm installed ota updates will break your system. You have to update manually. If you want to go back to stock without cwm, just flash the firmware found on the Asus website through cwm and all will be stock once again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again bfmetcalf, your contributions are invaluable. However, your last comments leave me with a couple of questions:

1. If I do as you say in your last sentence and get rid of cwm how do I then load a different rom such as megatron when I no longer have the cwm partition to boot into?

2. Again if I go down this track I guess I'll lose boot and will have to use something other than PERI to give me back su without cwm. (I had a hell of a job getting boot last time and only succeeded with PERI.)

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Yes, if you flash the stock firmware updates it will break root and flash the stock recovery effectively deleting CWM (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I think at the XDA forums they have some stock ROMs that are rooted and can be flashed in CWM without destroying CWM, they usually pop up shortly after an update so you can still update to the latest firmware from ASUS. I would say Megatron is a great platform and you don't have to worry about losing root or OTA updates breaking your system. If you read through the Megatron thread on XDA you will see some people with the TF101G talking in there about issues and such. You want to make sure you get a kernel that plays well with 3G or you won't have a good data connection.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Once again, many thanks bfmetcalf. You've given me much to consider and hopefully I won't have to bother you again.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    If you do decide to flash a custom ROM, make sure it supports the TF101G. Not all of them support the 3G functionality.

Feel free to come back and harass us any time. We were all noobs once.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links