Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Too many pattern attempts - FLIGHT MODE!!

I am simply devasted.

BACKGROUND: I just returned from a family holiday during which I shot priceless videos of our kids. I used transferred a few larger video files onto the tablet from my camera's SD card in order to free up room for more pictures. During the flight home, I enabled Airplane Mode so that I could use the tablet. After a night of sleep, but before I felt the urge to pick up my tablet, somebody in my family decided to play with my Unlock Pattern. The result is that I now see the "Too many pattern attempts! To unlock, sign in with your Google account" message. I know my Unlock Pattern, I know my google account credentials, I've set recovery steps, althernate email addresses etc. and I've verified my account information via gmail.com on another computer.

PROBLEM: Since Flight Mode is active, my tablet is not connecting to the Internet in order to validate my Google username and password.

Is there ANY way I can get past this??

I see two potential solutions to my problem:
    1. If I could simply get it to prompt me again for the Unlock Pattern, I could enter it without error.
    2. If I could force it out of Airplane Mode, it could validate my account credentials with Google.

Considering that the only other solution I have in mind is a Hard Reset, I am under the impression that I'm not going to be able to retrieve the videos stored on my tablet. I am exceedingly hopeful that somebody has a better idea...

In the meantime, I propose to the development team the following solution(s):
    1. Prevent Pattern Lockout while Airplane Mode is activated
    2. Allow WiFi to be enabled from Pattern Lockout screen
    3. Allow caching of Google account credentials for the purpose of recovering from Pattern Lockout

Anxiously,
    Jason

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Ouch!

I am not sure what to tell you other than to contact ASUS Support and ask them for what to do.

Check my Forum Favorites link. On that thread there is a link to the ASUS Global Support numbers.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Ouch!

I am not sure what to tell you other than to contact ASUS Support and ask them for what to do.

Check my Forum Favorites link. On that thread there is a link to the ASUS Global Support numbers.
    Yep. Already opened a ticket. However, I expect that they will advise me to proceed with a Hard Reset in order to "correct the problem".

Sucks. I recorded my son's Padawan Training at Disney World -- a memory I was hoping to share with him again in the future. (sigh)

IMHO, It's too often that "Security Measures" cause loss of data when circumstances are not given enough consideration. Let this be a warning to all of you to not leave your tablet's in Flight Mode when you step off the plane.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There must be a way around three problem.

Surely you should still be able to access your tablet as usb storage when connected via cable to your pc?

You should be able to turn on wifi by means of adb, or at least download the videos.

If your videos are stored to the internal permanent sdcard folder, which I'm sure it is, it should not be affected by a factory reset.

There must be other possibilities, just need to think of it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Lightbulb a few answerd

Quote Originally Posted by Heinduplessis View Post
    There must be a way around three problem.

Surely you should still be able to access your tablet as usb storage when connected via cable to your pc?

You should be able to turn on wifi by means of adb, or at least download the videos.

If your videos are stored to the internal permanent sdcard folder, which I'm sure it is, it should not be affected by a factory reset.

There must be other possibilities, just need to think of it.
    1) a factory reset/ cold boot will erase all info on internal memory
    2) a hard reset should not erase anything on internal memory

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by siehbi View Post
    1) a factory reset/ cold boot will erase all info on internal memory
    Inernal memory yes, but mnt/sdcard will not be affected by factory reset as Android treats it as an sdcard storage. The op just need to confirm that is where the videos are stored. Internal memory is probably not big enough to store videos of any significant quality or length.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Ouch!

I'm wondering if there is an ADB command that can turn Flight-mode off, ADB should still communicate with the TF while it is at the lock screen

Plug the TF into the PC's USB

Then If you download and extract this navigate to the adb folder, hold shift and right click in an empty part of that adb folder and choose "Open Command Window Here" then type the following pressing enter after each line

Code:
    adb shell am start -a android.settings.AIRPLANE_MODE_SETTINGS
    adb shell input keyevent 19 & adb shell input keyevent 23
    This is just the first code I have come across, not sure if it is going to work for the TF, but looks a promising way to try, I`ll keep looking for a more specific code, but try this first

EDIT - Just tried it with my TF and because USB Debugging is not enabled, the PC can not see the TF via ADB (You didn't by any chance enable USB Debugging before the issue did you ? )

Working on it....

Not having much luck with ADB commands even with USB Debugging enabled the commands do not disable Airplane mode but looks like that is the path to go down if you have enabled debugging, if not its probably time to factory reset, files such as videos and pictures might not be deleted but its been a while since I did it so not 100%
    Last edited by Detection; 03-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinduplessis View Post
    Inernal memory yes, but mnt/sdcard will not be affected by factory reset as Android treats it as an sdcard storage. The op just need to confirm that is where the videos are stored. Internal memory is probably not big enough to store videos of any significant quality or length.
    I'm pretty sure that I placed the videos into the /sdcard/Movies folder -- that is a default folder, correct?

I notice (on my other TF101) that there is also a root folder named "/Removable".

I want to avoid a factory reset until I can be reasonably sure that it won't delete the contents of the /sdcard/Movies folder. I have to admit that, from a security perspective, it seems silly to be able to circumvent all file security and access the contents of the internal storage by simply performing a factory reset. On the other hand, I'm hopeful that's a bug that I can exploit for this particular scenario. Can others confirm that the contents of this folder will not be deleted with a Factory Reset?

I did not place my tablet in Debug Mode, so that unfortunately cuts off any access through ADB. However, I appreciate the creative thoughts...

Thanks,
    Jason

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    What about one of those apple usb to ethernet adapters... If that worked you could get wired network connection going...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-possible.html
    Last edited by janner43; 03-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerOut View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I placed the videos into the /sdcard/Movies folder -- that is a default folder, correct?

I notice (on my other TF101) that there is also a root folder named "/Removable".

I want to avoid a factory reset until I can be reasonably sure that it won't delete the contents of the /sdcard/Movies folder. I have to admit that, from a security perspective, it seems silly to be able to circumvent all file security and access the contents of the internal storage by simply performing a factory reset. On the other hand, I'm hopeful that's a bug that I can exploit for this particular scenario. Can others confirm that the contents of this folder will not be deleted with a Factory Reset?

I did not place my tablet in Debug Mode, so that unfortunately cuts off any access through ADB. However, I appreciate the creative thoughts...
    This simply sounds like files are not being seen/found based on where they were stored.

mnt/sdcard is the default folder on the Transformer.

There is also a folder called removable, which will present any other storage (microSD or SD card) that is available.

Most apps allow a setting to point to one of those locations if they are there.

Paths are very important in terms of apps "seeing" content and running properly. I have seen some apps "mis-behave" just becuase an inproper path for files was placed in the settings.

I would double-check yours is correct in that app.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links