Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

[Q] Bricked or Something else (broken screen)

Hi All,

Already tried asking around at XDA but no rescueing answers, someone did lead me here though, so here goes nothing!

If you hate stories skip to problem, i guess that's all you need
    A week ago, from on moment onto another my asus transformer gave a black screen. I had been running the latest revolver rom a couple of weeks (?) before that without any problem. I thought this was kinda funky because bricks don't just happen overnight right? But started looking through some topics here and black screen = brick as far as i can tell.

So my quest to unbricking began. All guides end up with booting into APX and running NVflash. Thus this is exactly what i did. And all seemed to be going well, i found a NVFlash set up so it would return my transformer to stock, which sounded quite good so there i went. Also i used these same files to return my transformer to stock once before so i was quite confident.

Problems arrise
    But then something strange, during NVflash you usually get these 2 white lines (saying apx connected or w/e during flashing) as far as i know. But i got nothing! It's just the backlight. In my cmd prompt I did get all the usual info as seen here: **cant post outside links yet, check here: h t t p : / / i43.tinypic . com / 5d6vcw.png
    This of course followed by a lot of formatting and then flashing lines until the windows disappears.

Anyway: this all seemed to go correctly so i was waiting for my transformer to reboot and give me some love (aka any visual feedback) but nothing! I tried the same thing again, and fiddled around some more but can't seem to resolve this problem. Any tips from you guys!? Or just try to RMA it? Thanks!

ps. also tried letting it boot, and then connecting it to my lcd through hdmi. Dunno if this would work without pressing any buttons, but I get nothing..
    ps2. Pressing the power switch does seem to fade out the backlight, and pressing it again, turns it on again. Seems like normal behavior, but then again, No further visuals.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Hey, that was me over at XDA, I replied to your post with this link

Bricked? Not Booting? Rooted and want to go back to stock ?

It looks from your screenshot that you are using a foreign version of the unbricking tools, try to flash back to stock using the ones from this link via NVFLASH again and see how you get on, I have to go out for a while now but you are in good hands here.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Thanks for the link, tried it, but again no luck.
    I had already tried something like that but ofcourse also without succes.

I did come across something awkard though.
    Because i do have the feeling everything is booting as normal I tried flashing the PRIME rom (using NVflash) and then after "booting" the tranformer. I connected it and executed the "adb devices" command on my computer.
    To my suprise, it actually shows a device! (and no, i checked, this is not my smartphone, which is ofcourse not connected) This device dissappears when disconnecting my transformer. So it seems to me it's alive somewhere in there after all.
    Next thing i tried was connecting it to my HDTV through the mini-hdmi port. Since I still have a suspicion that the screen is broken I hoped this would give me some feedback. But it doesn't, the HDTV just stays black too.
    All I keep getting is the silly backlight on my transformer....

Any other ideas? And thanks for al the help so far detection!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    What happens when you try to turn it on (blank screen) after you think you got it flashed to stock and then plug it into your computer?

There is a chance the video cable (which is separate from the backlight power) has come loose. If this is the case, your TF should show up under MTP devices in Windows. Keep in mind, some TV's with the stock kernel do not work with the Transformer for HDMI output.

If it does show in Windows, it is probably a video cable issue. You can try to open the case yourself and fix it, or you can send it in to ASUS.

Moved to Rescue Squad Help.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried flashing it back to stock using the link provided by detection. Everything seemed to be going fine, just no output on my screen.

When i connect it to my pc (after i think it has booted, not sure if it boots at all but i give it a few minutes)
    It does show up as "new device found" but then it doesn't show up in explorer, nor as connected in the asus software.
    When i check the device management in windows for more info i get the following message with my "MTP device": "The device wont start. (code 10)" (my translation from dutch os)
    This is after a few seconds, it starts of without a yellow exclamation mark and says "device is working correctly" and then after some time changes to the above message and adds the yellow exclamation triangle.

Hope my story is clear enough for you guys to understand.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    When you are flashing using NVFLASH, the TF should show a couple of lines of white text at the top of the screen, when it is done flashing, you reboot the TF / update to latest FW and reboot once more.

That last reboot for me gets stuck on a black screen and I have to do the 30 second power button I was telling you about, after that it all works fine.

(Does the command prompt window during nvflash show creating about 17 partitions and formatting them, and sending system.img etc ?

If you are not getting a display on the TF during or after NVFLASH, and no display on an HDMI display connected via the mini HDMI slot, it sounds a more serious problem than not flashing properly.

You can try plugging the TF into the PC via USB, then opening a command prompt in the adb folder of the Android SDK (Platform tools I think it is in)

Power on the TF, and into the command prompt window type: adb logcat

Hit enter and see what logcat displays, see if it is getting stuck at a certain point in the boot, or if there is no life other than power to the screen

To open a command prompt inside the adb folder, hold shift and right click in a space in the folder and choose "Open command prompt window here"
    Last edited by Detection; 02-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As described in my first post, it doesn't even show the white text at the top of the screening during the NVFlash.
    It does format all partitions and send the system and boot.img etc.
    With the custom rom i can't get it to show up with "adb devices" at all, so also can't logcat.
    I'll either have to flash prima again and see if i cant adb logcat, but i think i'm just gonna try to return it with this "stock" rom flashed on it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links