Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Google CEO Larry Page Comments on Motorola Purchase; So do HTC, Samsung & Others

Obviously the big news for the day, is that Google is set to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion dollars. Speculation as to the motivation of the acquisition has been running rampant across the internet. Most of it focused on the assumption that the primary reason is that Google wants Motorola's patents so they can help protect the Android ecosystem as a whole. That particular theory turns out to be spot on. Here's a quote from CEO of Google, Larry Page, from a post he wrote on Google's blog,
    "We recently explained how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to 'protect competition and innovation in the open source software community' and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."
    For folks that worry this may change the landscape of Android and impact it in a negative way, he elaborated further by saying,
    "This acquisition will not change our commitment to run Android as an open platform. Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business. Many hardware partners have contributed to Android’s success and we look forward to continuing to work with all of them to deliver outstanding user experiences."
    This is a pretty brilliant move on Google's part. It's too bad they have to resort to these maneuvers in order to simply protect their ability to innovate and compete in the marketplace, but at least they are not "rolling over."

Interestingly, several of Android's primary smartphone manufacturer's have also sounded off on the issue, and so far have nothing but praise for the move by Google. In fact, here are quotes from HTC, Samsung, LG, and Sony Ericsson:
    “We welcome the news of today’s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem” - Peter Chou, CEO, HTC
    “We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem” - J.K. Shin, President, Samsung, Mobile Communications Division
    “We welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” - Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D, President & CEO, LG
    “I welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” - Bert Nordberg, President & CEO, Sony Ericsson
    It's actually pretty exciting to see Google flexing its muscle in preparation to start actively defending 'Andy'. Obviously the other side benefit to this acquisition (which could also be a potential negative) is that Google will be able to further enforce quality control on the Android ecosystem. Even though that means Android will be a bit less "open", as long as they don't get too heavy-handed with it, this will probably end up being a net positive. What do you think?

Source: BGR and SlashGear
    Last edited by dgstorm; 08-15-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Smart move, I think. Note that the astute observers are really viewing this as a purchase of MM's 17,000+ patents and 7,000 more in development. It's a defense reaction against moves by Apple and MS, for sure, but that's a good thing seeing as how Apple is being so, shall we say, unfair about litigating on that front lately.
    Last edited by Garemlin; 08-15-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: language edit

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    In one short sentence:

This levels the playing field against Apple on several fronts.

1) Having a hardware platform and its corresponding patents inhouse is a lift.

2) Having some skin in the manufacturing game is also a lift, as Google now will have a more inteimate idea of what it takes to launch future devices, as well as how the firmware performs on them - inhouse testing experience if you will vs 3rd party partner (only) results.

3) Provides a channel for coordinated hardware/software development and beta design going forward - soemthing all Android manufacturers will be able to leverage.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    The biggest thing that is hoped for out of this is the unlocking of the bootloaders on future Moto devices.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    Sice there's no "glass half empty" comments so far, let me say that I feel this is bad news for the other handset manufacturers. There will always be the perception that Motogoogle's handsets will be more advanced since they developed the OS.

They could cross license their patents if all they wanted is to defend Android.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think this is GREAT for everyone that has a stake in the android platform for 1 simple reason, Google has $12.5 Billion on the line now. That means that they have a much larger dog in this fight and everyone can be assured that they are going to fight the Rockstar patents with everything that they have.

It looks like they ran this by all of the larger android manufacturers and got their approval which means that they were able to guarantee beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is an open and beneficial move for the entire android community. Big corporations like Samsung, LG, and HTC would not be providing media ready approvals if they felt that there was something nefarious going down in the Googleplex.
    Samsung Infuse
    Asus Transformer
    G+Profile

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    23 times
    Honestly I wish they had considered this sooner when Nokia was on the ropes. Now MS has their claws into Nokia which I personally consider a far better manufacturer of hardware. Don't get me wrong Motorola makes good devices but seeing Nokia go down the tubes because their OS woes is sad. I think their deal with MS was an act of desperation.

It is good to see Google pick up a hardware asset though. They needed some physical hardware under their belt. Microsoft is probably the easiest target. They're being supported by Windows simply because of their cooperate contracts for exchange. Google is in a position to completely chew at that market by providing a much simpler (and cheaper) solution with its Google Apps/Docs which has pretty much all the exchange features and a far less administrative headache. I hope Google is able to take advantage of its position considering Android integrates with nearly all of its services.

On a side note Google: Honeycomb is great. Save the money on that Chrome OS. It will be hyped up for a bit then people will realize it isn't worth it. Especially with awesome systems like the Transformer showing how well a tablet/netbook can work with an Android System. A full screen browser run with a minimal Linux based HAL just doesn't seem to justify the price being asked for these systems. I don't think many people will care later on that it boots fast.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree about Chrome OS it just doesn't seem like there is a future in it. But honeycomb on a wider range of hardware including notebook form factors makes a ton of sense as long as Google pushes corporate app development. Honestly right now with RIM in it's final death throws it makes a hell of a lot of sense for Google to throw resources at business app development in order to capture as much of it as they can.
    Samsung Infuse
    Asus Transformer
    G+Profile

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    In the end - this is all about the thousands of patents they acquire. Google bought 1,000 patents from IBM recently, and are on a patent-acquisition "mission" these days to offset the overly-aggressive attacks from Apple. Interesting enough, Samsung is fighting back on one patent challenge.

Maybe one day...Apple will be getting sued for patent infringement. I wouldn't be surprised.

But for now...this is to protect the Android platform and assure future continuity - a good move.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Google need to do this to protect its OS because just can't let APPLE to keep suing the Android devices over patents issues. Good move Good move!
    using Samsung Galaxy S II & ASUS EEE Pad Transformer

add me to your Google+ Circle (:
    http://gplus.to/RyanMaxonChoo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links