Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times

Asus Zenpad launch at Computex

It's that time if year again. Asus seems to be prepping the release of a few more tablets under the Zenpad brand which will replace the memopad.
    New Intel-powered ASUS ZenPad tablets leak online ahead of launch | Android Central
    While the article (and it's source reports) claim it will be running intel new x3 cherry trail soc platform, it points out that the rumoured resolution is only 1024x600

Looks like we will not be seeing another high end flagship tablet again this year. Makes me very disappointed.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Clarification, the x3 is not Cherry Trail... it's SoFIA, which is the phone SoC with integrated modem, BT, WiFi, made on the TSMC 28nm FAB and uses Mali GPU... Initial models are 3G only with dual core that seem to score around Medfield/Clover Trail+ performance range even though they're supposedly based on Silvermont like Bay Trail but the clock is only 1GHz and presumably no Burst clock but is Intel's cheapest SoC to date and finally competes with other low end integrated SoC options from ARM... When the LTE version comes out in the later half of the year it'll up the design to a quad core and a higher end Mali GPU but will still be intended primarily for emerging/entry low level markets...

Only the Intel x5 and x7 series SoCs are Cherry Trail but we may see them used in some phones as well if rumors are to be believed, as a possible stop gap until Broxton can come out with better options by sometime next year... Otherwise they'll be limited to just Moorefield and Merrifield Intel phone SoCs... Mind the ZenPad 8, mentioned in that article link, sports Intel Atom Z3560 or Z3530 Moorefield!

But with Microsoft's push for Continuum on Windows 10 mobile devices that allows qualifying devices that can run two screens at once, etc. to run Universal apps in a optional desktop mode when connected to a external screen, keyboard, and mouse... then chances are we may see some actual Cherry Trail, or higher end ARM options, later as the premium Windows Phones and similar devices start coming out... especially as more companies are considering making Windows devices again...

While neither the x3 or Moorefield/Merrifield SoCs will run anything but mobile OS but they at least give us the option between Android and Windows Phone 8.1 (for now) and Windows 10 mobile... but at least the Moorefield options give us something in the mid-range for performance until the better options come out later...

Though, if we do get our hands on a Cherry Trail x5 or x7 based device before the end of the year then it opens up some possibilities as those can run a full desktop OS... Unlike Bay Trail, we should see multiple options that include cellular modem and not just WiFi only models... Like the Surface 3 will offer LTE options later this year as well... and some upcoming premium phones are rumored to be coming with the x5/x7 as well... it's just a question of whether Asus will be included before the end of this year but no announcement now doesn't mean we won't see other products later... Asus has been known to change their product release plans from time to time...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Thanks for the clarification. That is disappointing that the X3 is only 28nm but it is one if the first SoFIA branded chips to launch. I guess that would jibe with the expectation of this Zenpad being another budget device.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links