Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeo

Thread: Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    143 times

Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

Even though this is obviously not Android news, it's still a surprising development in the tech world, so we thought it prudent to share it with you.

It looks like the folks in Redmond can still shock and awe from time to time, although this time it's really just a PR gimmick. Microsoft just officially unveiled Windows 10 to the public. You read that right... they are skipping the Windows 9 name and going straight for the next generation.

While the operating system is still the same thing they have been working on since Windows 8 was a big flop, Microsoft felt that the changes to the OS were so significant it was worth passing over the Windows 9 name. Ultimately this is just a marketing semantics stunt, but it definitely has our attention.

Even more notable is that the release has now slipped farther down the road. According to the report, Windows 10 will be released "later in 2015." Here's a quote with some of the details as to why Microsoft execs decided to go this route,

Yes, the company is skipping the "Windows 9" moniker. Why skip "9"?

"When you see the product in its fullness I think you will agree with us that it is a more appropriate name," [MS executive Terry] Myerson said.

Among other things, Belfiore said the company wants to focus on personalization, to make the Windows experience particular to individual users' tastes and preferences.

"We are trying to hit this balance in just the right way," [MS executive Joe] Belfiore said.

Starting Wednesday, Microsoft is launching a Windows Insider program and will release a technical preview of Windows 10 for laptops and desktops, with other devices to follow.

Microsoft will start talking more about the consumer experience next year at the company's developer conference in the spring, Myerson said. It expects to launch Windows 10 "later in 2015.."
    What do you guys think of Microsoft's curve-ball to the media?

Source: USAToday

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Basically, seems they're trying to pull the same thing they did with Windows 7... Depending on a more significant name change to get people to get past any hesitation they may have from the dislike generated by the previous release...

Though, you can also link they're emphasis on making this a new starting point... like they did by naming the XBox One...

So, probably a combination of those two factors but other than that it's all the same as when we thought it would be called Windows 9...
    leeshor likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    I dunno... Im a Windows geek from waaayy back and am downloading the Technical Preview as I type this... Gonna try the 64b version for giggles, got a recovery USB and will make a 32b installer too.

Windows Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows

Dont know if you are going to start an Asus T100TA and Windows 10 thread, but this should be fun
    Last edited by Swipe; 10-02-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: form language guidelines

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Basically, seems they're trying to pull the same thing they did with Windows 7...
    At this link is an explanation of why the naming:

Microsoft dev explaining why it's Windows 10, and not Windows 9 : geek

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    64 bit version will not install could not even boot to the USB drive I created. 32 Bit version booted right up, I chose the advanced setup so I could delete and recreate all the partitions, etc... Setup created and installed everything without a hitch.

No native touchscreen, video card or sound card device support (yet) and a couple of the sensors, there is a list of unknown devices

devmgmt.png

Chrome installed and runs fine, waiting on a couple updates...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    How extrange. I'm using the 64 bits version in a pc booted as a vhd partition. Maybe the ISO is corrupted or didn't downloaded ok?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Maybe Windows 9 was retired in honor of the great Windows 98, second edition...
    Asus T100TA-C1-GR, 64GB
    Asus T100 owners, if you are suffering from "Limited Connectivity", there may be a cure. Link to potential cure posting
    Audio Problems after Win 10 upgrade? Solution here...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    12 times
    Just a guess, but maybe was to avoid confusion. Windows 9x could mean Windows 95/98 or Windows 9.0/9.1. They should have kept the naming convention from 3.1 to 4.0, 5.0, etc. instead of all this 95, Me, Vista, XP, NT nonsense, but who am I to argue with their marketing success?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Perharps, you are right. But I think that they refused to make versin 9 under different circumstances.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links